Area of effect and raises on the to-hit roll?

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Chris Tavares
Seasoned

Area of effect and raises on the to-hit roll?

#1 Postby Chris Tavares » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:38 pm

In the recent podcast, your number one answer was:

No, you don't get an extra 1d6 damage on the to-hit roll with an area effect weapon, Shane.

Besides being funny, is this actually in the rulebook somewhere, or is it errata? Everywhere that I've seen that talks about damage, there's the "and on a raise on the to-hit you get an extra 1d6 damage" but nowhere is there an exception that I can find for area effect attacks.

I can see this ruling making sense, but I can't see how I missed it.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Area of effect and raises on the to-hit roll?

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Chris Tavares wrote:In the recent podcast, your number one answer was:

No, you don't get an extra 1d6 damage on the to-hit roll with an area effect weapon, Shane.

Besides being funny, is this actually in the rulebook somewhere, or is it errata? Everywhere that I've seen that talks about damage, there's the "and on a raise on the to-hit you get an extra 1d6 damage" but nowhere is there an exception that I can find for area effect attacks.

I can see this ruling making sense, but I can't see how I missed it.

One of the reasons I used that one is because it is the "hidden rule." It's under the description of blast in the powers section instead of under the rules for Area Effect attacks in general.

See, it comes from putting the Test Drive rules out there. There was no Area Effect section in the Test Drive Rules, but the blast power was in it, and we wanted to make sure anyone using the power knew that's how AE attacks worked. So it got described there.

Unfortunately, we missed putting it under AE going back to the main rules. :oops:

But the rule is in the book... somewhere. ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”