question on parry

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

antarion
Novice

question on parry

#1 Postby antarion » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:24 pm

hey i'm a new-time player and am a little confused on the concept of parry. (this kind of applies to the post below, a little.) the way i understand it, it's a measure of how well a guy can block attacks. at the same time, being shaken means that a charcter is distracted stunned or injured and unable to do anything but move half his pace. if this is the case why doesn't he lose his parry, since, theoretically, he shouldn't be able to block attacks, either? the obvious answer, i guess is for difficulty-balancing purposes, but i'm just curious if there's another explanation behind it.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: question on parry

#2 Postby Clint » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:13 pm

antarion wrote:hey i'm a new-time player and am a little confused on the concept of parry. (this kind of applies to the post below, a little.) the way i understand it, it's a measure of how well a guy can block attacks. at the same time, being shaken means that a charcter is distracted stunned or injured and unable to do anything but move half his pace. if this is the case why doesn't he lose his parry, since, theoretically, he shouldn't be able to block attacks, either? the obvious answer, i guess is for difficulty-balancing purposes, but i'm just curious if there's another explanation behind it.

Well, first off, Parry isn't simply "blocking" attacks. It can also be dodging them or avoiding them in pretty much any way. Parry is simply a measure of how well the character can avoid being hit in close combat.

Secondly, Shaken characters are unable to do anything but move half their Pace and defend themselves. But since defending themselves isn't an action, there's no reason to say they are allowed to defend themselves since nothing says they can't defend themselves. If that makes any sense.

Anyway, hope that helps. The key is that being Shaken prevents the character from taking actions, but not from defending themselves.

Edit: removed more confusing explanation.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”