Incapacitated don't Parry

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Talon One
Novice

Incapacitated don't Parry

#1 Postby Talon One » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:31 pm

OK, so I read on the main thread that the Incapacitated cannot Parry and thus are subject to Finishing Moves. Makes sense (thouygh potentially deadly if this is a Player's Character!). On the same thread though, the comment was made that if the character was bruised and battered and subsequently made his Spirit Roll to become Shaken instead, he would still be left without Parry. Did I read this wrong?

I copy/pasted the relevent quote as I do not know how to get it in that boxed format when it is in a different thread! (Sorry for my ignorance in all things computer related). Quotes at the start and finish are mine.

Leitchy wrote:
"Hmmm...actually, I think I just confirmed what Grendel was saying. In the period before the hero makes that first Spirit roll, they have "had the wind knocked out of them". They must, in fact, be worse off than Shaken, since they need to succeed with a Spirit check to actually become Shaken. I guess this means, at least until they succeed with that "beginning-of-the-round" Spirit roll, they must be Incapacitated."

Clint Black wrote:
"Yep, that's right. In fact, I just mentioned this in another thread where someone asked if being Incapacitated affected your Parry. In essence, the character doesn't have one as they can be killed with a Finishing Move, and yeah, that applies to characters on Battered and Bruised who have made their roll to become Shaken."

"Hope this clears things up."

Thnaks for the clarification in advance.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Incapacitated don't Parry

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:34 pm

Talon One wrote:OK, so I read on the main thread that the Incapacitated cannot Parry and thus are subject to Finishing Moves. Makes sense (thouygh potentially deadly if this is a Player's Character!). On the same thread though, the comment was made that if the character was bruised and battered and subsequently made his Spirit Roll to become Shaken instead, he would still be left without Parry. Did I read this wrong?

Yikes! No, you did not read it wrong; I wrote it wrong.

It should have said that this applies to characters on Battered and Bruised who have not made their roll to become Shaken.

I apologize for that, and I have edited the relevant post.

Being Shaken has no effect on a character's Parry.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”