PODCASTING

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Would you subscribe to a SAVAGE WORLDS podcast?

Yes
71%
No
13%
What's a podcast?
16%

Total votes: 45

saberhagen
Novice

PODCASTING

#1 Postby saberhagen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:55 pm

:jack: I'm sure this isn't a new idea, but with the boom in gaming podcasts, has anyone thought of starting up a SAVAGE WORLDS-themed cast to announce latest news, run interviews with scenario/sourcebook authors, comments from Shane etc etc?

I'm sure it would be a hit and, according to the seminar at Gencon, niche/themed gaming podcasts are the way to go!

Tim

PS. Personally I don't have the kit (or computer knowledge) to do this; and being in the UK it would make most interviews quite difficult, but would whole-heartedly support anyone who did.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

#2 Postby Sean Patrick Fannon » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:04 pm

The Talisman Studios gang has been contemplating this for a while...
Sean Patrick Fannon
Sean's Pick of the Day
Brand Manager, Savage Rifts

Bad Dog. Good Games.

Emiricol
Veteran

#3 Postby Emiricol » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:18 pm

Personally, I'd rather read it if it's news. OTOH, game sessions with soon-to-be-released games like Weird Wars could be pretty awesome. Or as demos of games like FoH.

saberhagen
Novice

#4 Postby saberhagen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:The Talisman Studios gang has been contemplating this for a while...

Go for it! That would be awesome :-)

saberhagen
Novice

#5 Postby saberhagen » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:41 pm

Emiricol wrote:Personally, I'd rather read it if it's news. OTOH, game sessions with soon-to-be-released games like Weird Wars could be pretty awesome. Or as demos of games like FoH.

To quote GAMER: THE PODCASTING (http://www.somniturne.com/gtp/):

What is a podcast, you ask?
Well, here's Wikipedia's take on it.
Podcasting is a combination of the words "iPod" and "broadcasting". A podcast is, in essence, a radio show that is made available on the internet, and that you can play on your computer and upload into your personal mp3 player!

The only podcast I have, so far, heard mention SAVAGE WORLDS is the excellent GODZILLA GAMING PODCAST (http://www.godzillagamingpodcast.libsyn.com/), as I believe one of the hosts is the author of a forthcoming World War II sourcebook for SW.

Oh, and one of the best thing about podcasts is they are FREE!!!! :1dance:

Tim

cpk666
Veteran

#6 Postby cpk666 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:40 pm

Sean Patrick Fannon wrote:The Talisman Studios gang has been contemplating this for a while...

Please don't. There are far more productive ways for you to be spending your time, IMNSHO.

CK
Since this is my post, please understand that the thoughts expressed in it are my opinion.

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase

ron blessing
Heroic

#7 Postby ron blessing » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:53 pm

As a podcaster, this sounds like a great idea. If it happens, PM me, as I'd like to be involved.

Stinger
Seasoned

#8 Postby Stinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:47 am

As a podcastermyself (please, click the link and have a listen!), I'm definitely interested!

My show covers more general gaming topics, but I would be happy to contribute short segments on SW (maybe Weird War Two?) for your show. :)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on how to go about setting things up - I had to learn a lot through trial and error and it would have been a big help (and saved a lot opf time and frustration) to have had some first hand advice from someone at the start.
Last edited by Stinger on Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Show me a hero, and I'll prove he's a bum."
- Maj. Gregory Boyington, USMC

Weird War Two - An official setting for Savage Worlds

Wordmaker
Seasoned

#9 Postby Wordmaker » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:47 am

Sure, I'd listen to it.

Stinger
Seasoned

#10 Postby Stinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:57 am

saberhagen wrote:
The only podcast I have, so far, heard mention SAVAGE WORLDS is the excellent GODZILLA GAMING PODCAST (http://www.godzillagamingpodcast.libsyn.com/), as I believe one of the hosts is the author of a forthcoming World War II sourcebook for SW.

That would be me (and thanks for the props!) ;)

Oh, and one of the best thing about podcasts is they are FREE!!!! :1dance:

Indeed!

Also, check out the Goblin Gaming Podcast Network for links to a wide variety of RPG and gaming related podcasts!
Last edited by Stinger on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stinger
Seasoned

Re: PODCASTING

#11 Postby Stinger » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:02 am

saberhagen wrote:PS. Personally I don't have the kit (or computer knowledge) to do this; and being in the UK it would make most interviews quite difficult, but would whole-heartedly support anyone who did.

You'd be surprised at how little equipment or knowledge you need in order to get started. Also, geography is no barrier to interviews - I've done two with people based in the U.S. so far over Skype. By the end of this year, my podcasting partner and I will be recording our shows internationally as well.

I'd definitely like to help you get this started, and contribute something to your show if possible - do PM me and I'll give you the complete lowdown. :smile:

Sean Patrick Fannon
Heroic

#12 Postby Sean Patrick Fannon » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:49 pm

cpk666 wrote:Please don't. There are far more productive ways for you to be spending your time, IMNSHO.

I understand what you're saying, and I can assure you that it's part of the "bigger picture," old friend. It won't be a priority until other tasks are accomplished, but it will be a key feature in that "Culture of Content" I've been talking about.
Sean Patrick Fannon
Sean's Pick of the Day
Brand Manager, Savage Rifts

Bad Dog. Good Games.

Funfetus
Novice

#13 Postby Funfetus » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:38 pm

I'd LOVE to hear a SW podcast. I have 8 hours a day to listen to Podcasts at work, and I listen to tons of gaming podcasts, but, as someone mentioned above, I've only heard a couple brief mentions of SW. In contrast, there are tons of D&D specific podcasts. They're still interesting to listen to for the generic gaming content and tips, but it'd be great to have something specific to SW. My only concern is that there might not be enough SW-specific stuff to support a regular podcast.

Recorded play sessions sound very interesting, too, and would probably be a good selling point for people unfamiliar with SW (if you could get them to listen), when they hear how fast (and furious and fun) the system works.

voidstate
Seasoned

#14 Postby voidstate » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:12 am

I work for an ISP that runs a podcast hosting service, Podcast FM (www.podcastfm.co.uk) based inthe UK (not that that really matters on the web). I'm the lead developer.

If anyone wants to get into podcasting and needs help figuring out how to do it, I don't mind offering advice. I could also arrange a various discounts, free upgrades or extended free trial periods for Podcast FM if you chose to do it through us.

PM me if you're interested. I'm always happy to give fellow gamers a hand.

Cheers

voidstate

Pure Evil Model: D
Heroic

#15 Postby Pure Evil Model: D » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:06 am

for news and reviews, i think I'd much rather read it. I don't need to download a file to hear guys geeking out over the latest supplement, myself and my posse would do that on our own. Besides, what fun is listening to others geekout if you can't join in?

I'd love to see/hear Savage Radio shows, like "The Shadow" and "buck Rogers", but with savage settings and characters. I've been playing with doing a Deadlands radio show with my friends for the fun of it.

Savage_Joker
Seasoned
Location: Living in the age of super-boredom, hype and mediocracy.

#16 Postby Savage_Joker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:18 am

I think a Savagecast (hmmm, now that sounds like a nifty title) would be wonderful. I have been listening to other game related podcasts such as the Sons of Kryos and a few others on the Goblin Broadcast network. These are really fun to listen to and at times very informative. I understand some people wanting to just read the reveiws and what-not, but some of us are lazy (yours truly) and just love to sit back and listen. Also, listening to a podcast and hearing others "geek-out" help others with an infrequent game group or no group at all keep the "savage" home fires burning and interested.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

saberhagen
Novice

#17 Postby saberhagen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:13 am

Savage_Joker wrote: Also, listening to a podcast and hearing others "geek-out" help others with an infrequent game group or no group at all keep the "savage" home fires burning and interested.

Here, here! Some of us are virtually housebound and stuck in the butt-end of UK, where gaming seems to have died and all my old gaming buddies from school days have gone on to other things, so an audio link to the "outside world" is a godsend!

Tim

ron blessing
Heroic

#18 Postby ron blessing » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:24 pm

For anyone interested, my wife and I interviewed Shane for my podcast, The Game's the Thing. The interview went about 45 minutes! It will be posted on the site by Friday, October 6th.

Check it out this Friday: http://www.thegamesthething.com

walkerp
Seasoned

#19 Postby walkerp » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:40 pm

I listen to 3 gaming ipods regularily (Sons of Kryos, Have Games Will Travel and Midnight's Lair) and I enjoy them all for different reasons. I wasn't so sure if a podcast from a gaming company would have that much to interest me. But I just started listening to SJGames Fnordcast and boy was I wrong. They have tons of info to share. Exciting previews, very specific interviews with their designers, highlighting certain products, their perspective on cons, the president's take on things, etc.

So now I would strongly say that a Pinnacle/Great White Podcast would have the potential to be very, very interesting. I'd love to hear more details on upcoming products, some deeper explanation on the philosophy and background that made Savage Worlds, strategies for running SW at cons (great opportunity to interview Evil & Chaos) and in general, and so much more.

Just keep it lively and fun. Check out Fnordcast for a pretty good model for a "corporate" podcast.
----------------------
This month on the RPG Haven Podcast: VSCA - The Diaspora Crew.

Funfetus
Novice

#20 Postby Funfetus » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:24 pm

ronism wrote:For anyone interested, my wife and I interviewed Shane for my podcast, The Game's the Thing. The interview went about 45 minutes! It will be posted on the site by Friday, October 6th.

Check it out this Friday: http://www.thegamesthething.com

I just checked it out. Great interview! Good podcast overall, too. Thanks for doing it!

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”