What's your setting genre of choice for using with SW?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

What's your setting genre of choice for using with SW?

Heroic Fantasy
27%
Grim Sword and Sorcery
12%
Hard Science Fiction
8%
Space Opera
5%
Space Opera
5%
Post Apocalyptic
12%
Pulp Adventures 1930
12%
Superhero genre
5%
Horror / Cthulhu
10%
Modern day espionage-action
3%

Total votes: 130

therealtony
Seasoned

#41 Postby therealtony » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:15 pm

I would have selected "All Of The Above" as a choice as well! :P

Since my group and I started playing Savage Worlds, we've run our own "home brew" versions of 1930's style Pulp/Horror, 1950's B-Movie Sci-Fi, A great Zombie campaign, Western stuff as well as Golden Age Superhero WW2 adventures. We've also played Necessary Evil, Rippers and I am currently gm'ing Slipstream..

Never run Fantasy yet...

jeff
Veteran

#42 Postby jeff » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Count me in for all of the above. Right now I'm working on a campaign setting called "Steamjammer: Steam, Space, and Sorcery". It's part Space:1889, part Spelljammer, and part Serenity mixed vigorously and pulped to perfection!
The day mutant zombies rise in my town is the day I get to be a hero.

RPTroll
Seasoned

#43 Postby RPTroll » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:39 pm

I've switched genres from the original poll. Trolls are a bit ADD by nature. :razz:

I'm doing pulp Sci-Fi these days thanks to Slipstream. It's an excellent resource BTW. One of the Must Haves in the SW product line.

I've modified the setting to 1940s Sci Fi with a Space 1889-like setting.

That said, SW has done anything I've asked it to. I've never played or GMed such a flexible system. With SW it's not a question of what system you have available and being locked into that system's genre, its a question of what genre you feel like playing.

skathros
Seasoned

#44 Postby skathros » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:27 am

quigs wrote:I agree there are some pretty boring vanilla settings out there though. I can't stand Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, or anything like those really.

:-D I'm the opposit. I love vanilla fantasy. Especially with tweeks added in to slightly differentiate the setting. All the SW fantasy fare that have come out are, at the heart, vanilla fantay, tweeked to produce something different. So far, SW "fantasy" products have done this very well. Kept the core fantasy genre concept and tweeked it to produce something unique.

SW's strength, for my, is that it can effortlessly handle all ranges of the genre, from plain Dragonlance and FR, to the strange world of Talislanta, to the mix'n'match of Journe, and it does so flawlesslly.

Another great aspect of SW is that it makes me want to try other genres that I normally would no be inclined to, such as Supers or Western.
Don't make me go Zelda on you

Y'all Of Cthulhu
Seasoned

#45 Postby Y'all Of Cthulhu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Amaril wrote:I'm curious as to how Eberron seems boring and vanilla. I thought it would make a perfect setting for Savage Worlds.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. In fact, most old school players tend to not like it because it isn't vanilla fantasy. Well that and the idea that anyone can be overpowered thanks to the proliferation of magic on Eberron.

I'm with Amaril in that I think that Eberron would be PERFECT for Savage Worlds and someone on Keith Baker's blog mentioned something along those lines as well. I've also seen a website that has a few parts of the setting converted for Savage Worlds.

I absolutely LOVE Eberron, but I'm none too keen on 3.5. I had considered running the big E using Casltes & Crusades, but I think now that I might have to give it a shot with Savage Worlds just to see how things go. That is if I can get some folks together willing to give it a go. I just started playing in a Middle Earth campaign using C&C so maybe I can get those guys to give it a go once our CK needs to take a break. :twisted:

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#46 Postby Kristian Serrano » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:35 pm

Y'all Of Cthulhu wrote:I've also seen a website that has a few parts of the setting converted for Savage Worlds.

I absolutely LOVE Eberron, but I'm none too keen on 3.5.

Yeah, I got burned out on 3.5, especially after my daughter was born. In fact, it was RPTroll who gave me my first SW demo via MapTool. I've only recently made the complete switch.

I found a two different wiki sites that had conversions: savagepedia and Savage Eberron. Both seem to leave Dragonmarks incomplete. There are also a few races that haven't been converted (e.g. - Xen'drik drow, ), and I'm not sure how specific setting-specific items such as dragonshards would be applied to SW rules, if at all.

I've tried to compile them and tweak them to my own liking, but time has been limiting.

Back to Eberron as an SW setting, it really has everything. Want noir? Play a Sharn campaign. Want pulp? Eberron has plenty of that available. Want epic fantasy? It's got that, too. Want a war-based campaign? Roll back the clock by three years. The possibilities are endless. In fact, I wish WotC would have interest in a Savage Eberron License.

Y'all Of Cthulhu
Seasoned

#47 Postby Y'all Of Cthulhu » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Amaril wrote:
Y'all Of Cthulhu wrote:I've also seen a website that has a few parts of the setting converted for Savage Worlds.

I absolutely LOVE Eberron, but I'm none too keen on 3.5.

Yeah, I got burned out on 3.5, especially after my daughter was born. In fact, it was RPTroll who gave me my first SW demo via MapTool. I've only recently made the complete switch.

I found a two different wiki sites that had conversions: savagepedia and Savage Eberron. Both seem to leave Dragonmarks incomplete. There are also a few races that haven't been converted (e.g. - Xen'drik drow, ), and I'm not sure how specific setting-specific items such as dragonshards would be applied to SW rules, if at all.

I've tried to compile them and tweak them to my own liking, but time has been limiting.

Back to Eberron as an SW setting, it really has everything. Want noir? Play a Sharn campaign. Want pulp? Eberron has plenty of that available. Want epic fantasy? It's got that, too. Want a war-based campaign? Roll back the clock by three years. The possibilities are endless. In fact, I wish WotC would have interest in a Savage Eberron License.

Yeah, when I first got interested in gaming again a couple of years ago it was via Dungeons and Dragons Online which has Eberron as its default setting, and I LOVED it. I've read a few of the books and I think that the setting is definitely unique.

Hey, what part of "Atlanta" are you in? :eek:

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#48 Postby Kristian Serrano » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Y'all Of Cthulhu wrote:Hey, what part of "Atlanta" are you in? :eek:
Decatur. :)

Maybe I'll end up using Eberron as the setting for my first SW campaign.

Elghrin
Novice

#49 Postby Elghrin » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 pm

I would say most of the above....

Sort of off the boil for fantasy. We play aal kind of genres. Our own version of Shadowrun is still a favorite. The Roman campaign and Savage Pendragon are running 2 times per month for almost a year. I'm sort of fiddling around with a Napoleonic campaign with a twist.

Ah... Deadlands.... sort of waiting till we have time again.

Mark

Harboe
Seasoned

#50 Postby Harboe » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:15 pm

I picked "Modern day espionage-action"...

Though about 2/3rds of the Savage Worlds campaigns I've been involved in were sci-fi (Star Trek and Warhammer 40.000).

I'm just into intrigue and noir.
My Conversions:
Savage Heresy
Savagerun!

Snake Storm
Novice

#51 Postby Snake Storm » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:52 pm

i gotta go with heroic fantasy. If i'm not playing a half baked version of that it's deadlands or something inspired by it.

Kersus
Novice

#52 Postby Kersus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:22 pm

We pretty much solely use it for playing X-Com, but someday we'll give Silent Hill a whirl.

I know my nephew used it alot for Zombie games and Paranoia.

Machine Ghost
Novice

#53 Postby Machine Ghost » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Horror. That tends to be my genre of choice and with all the cool horror oriented settings for SW, the high quality scenarios from the likes of 12 to Midnight, and the homebrew possibilities, there's no end to the terrifiying stuff you can produce with this game.

That said, I have to confess to being pretty excited about Hellfrost, so my answer may be subject to change later down the line. :)

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”