Can Persuasion be used in Combat?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

PencilBoy99
Seasoned

Can Persuasion be used in Combat?

#1 Postby PencilBoy99 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:34 pm

If a character is very persuasive (lots of bonuses to charisma and a high persuasion skill), can they use it in combat, e.g., fooling monsters? My instinct is no, you would need to do a Smarts Trick or Taunt. Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Can Persuasion be used in Combat?

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 am

PencilBoy99 wrote:If a character is very persuasive (lots of bonuses to charisma and a high persuasion skill), can they use it in combat, e.g., fooling monsters? My instinct is no, you would need to do a Smarts Trick or Taunt. Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.

Persuasion has no specific use in combat on it's own. A GM might allow its use for noncombat purposes during combat as they have discretion on how long it takes to use skills.

Such as, "I'll double your pay to switch sides."

For actual combat use, some settings have an Edge or variant of an Edge that allows using Persuasion for Tests of Will. Since Persuasion benefits from Charisma bonuses unavailable (usually, though again, Edges) to Taunt and Intimidation, requiring an Edge helps balance it out.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

PencilBoy99
Seasoned

#3 Postby PencilBoy99 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:50 am

I like the edge. Do you know which setting has it so I can buy it?

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:13 pm

PencilBoy99 wrote:I like the edge. Do you know which setting has it so I can buy it?

Are you running a particular setting or genre? That way maybe I can suggest a source that provides other useful stuff too.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

PencilBoy99
Seasoned

#5 Postby PencilBoy99 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Accursed!

Clint
Site Admin

#6 Postby Clint » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:56 pm

PencilBoy99 wrote:Accursed!

Hard call, but oddly enough maybe Slipstream. It might be the least expensive too, as you would just need the Player's Guide PDF.

Someone else more familiar with Accursed may have a better idea though.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

John_Dunn
Seasoned

#7 Postby John_Dunn » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:54 am

Clint wrote:
PencilBoy99 wrote:Accursed!

Hard call, but oddly enough maybe Slipstream. It might be the least expensive too, as you would just need the Player's Guide PDF.

Someone else more familiar with Accursed may have a better idea though.

Accursed has a number of different Edges which can enable players to gain exceptionally high Charisma bonuses. (Especially Dhampir.) We haven't included an Edge to use Persuasion in combat because of this, and I wouldn't recommend it.
John Dunn - Freelance RPG Writer
Melior Via, LLC

Clint
Site Admin

#8 Postby Clint » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm

John_Dunn wrote:
Clint wrote:Someone else more familiar with Accursed may have a better idea though.

Accursed has a number of different Edges which can enable players to gain exceptionally high Charisma bonuses. (Especially Dhampir.) We haven't included an Edge to use Persuasion in combat because of this, and I wouldn't recommend it.

And that's why you go to the creator if you can! :-D

That said (and John can correct me if I'm wrong), it might be possible to use such an Edge as long as Charisma bonuses didn't apply to combat use.

It's the kind of thing where a character's appearance, personality, or pale and tragic aura just doesn't have time to come into play. It's a straight up Persuasion roll.

On the flipside, Charisma penalties wouldn't apply either, so the Edge would be equally useful to someone with a severe negative Charisma. They can't do well over time, but in the heat of the moment, they have a chance.

Then if a player wanted to specialize, another Edge might allow a bonus just to combat use and perhaps some other effect. Maybe something like...

Distracting
Requirements: Novice, Smarts d6+, Persuasion d8+, [Edge to use Persuasion for Test of Wills]

You get a +2 to Persuasion when used in combat for a Test of Will and if you get a raise on the opposed roll, you may choose another character within your Smarts die type in inches to gain the +2 bonus to affect the target in addition to yourself.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”