d20-compatible monster conversion tool

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Zadmar
Legendary

#21 Postby Zadmar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Although the power curve in Savage Worlds is a lot flatter than D&D, I think there's the expectation that powerful monsters in D&D will should generally be converted as powerful monsters in Savage Worlds. Shane Hensley's conversion document recommends basing Fighting, Shooting and Throwing on Base Attack Bonus (BAB), and BAB is calculated from Hit Dice.

Swarms don't roll to attack, so a high Fighting skill would just give them more Parry, which doesn't really make much sense. Combat Edges would help, but they don't generally have as much impact as Fighting, and they're not the sort of thing that can be automated for a conversion tool - so how do you make a 21 Hit Dice mandragora swarm more dangerous than a 3 Hit Dice rat swarm?

Well this is what it gives right now:

Mandragora Swarm
Attributes: Agility d12+4, Smarts d4, Spirit d12, Strength d10, Vigor d12+1
Skills: Fighting N/A (automatically hits, 2d12 damage within a MBT), Notice d12, Stealth d12+9
Charisma: -; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 9
Hindrances: None
Edges: Combat Reflexes (+2 to Spirit rolls when recovering from Shaken), Dodge, Improved Dodge, Level Headed (draw 1 extra initiative card), Quick (redraw initiative cards of 5 or lower)
Special Abilities
Low Light Vision: No penalties for dim or dark lighting.
Swarm: +2 Parry, immune to most weapons.
Split: May split into two SBT swarms, each with -2 Toughness.
Immunity to Poison: No damage or fatigue from poison.
Poison: Injects lethal poison if foe is Shaken or wounded.
Toughness: +1 Toughness.

Rat Swarm
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d4 (A), Spirit d12, Strength d8, Vigor d10
Skills: Fighting N/A (automatically hits, 2d4 damage within a MBT), Climbing d10, Notice d8, Stealth d12, Swimming d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 4; Parry: 4; Toughness: 7
Edges: Level Headed (draw 1 extra initiative card)
Special Abilities
Swarm: +2 Parry, immune to most weapons.
Split: May split into two SBT swarms, each with -2 Toughness.
Wall Walker: Can walk on walls and ceilings with Pace 4".
Aquatic: Pace equal to Swimming skill.
Disease: Make a Vigor roll or become afflicted.

The Rat Swarm is similar to the core rules, although not quite the same, but it's roughly on-par with a medium shark in terms of melee effectiveness. The Mandragora Swarm is significantly tougher, nearly as strong as a Sentinal (the heroic option for Summon Ally), but if it inflicted 2d4 damage it would be weaker than a warhorse.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#22 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Zadmar wrote:so how do you make a 21 Hit Dice mandragora swarm more dangerous than a 3 Hit Dice rat swarm?

Why should it be more dangerous?
A bunch of 4 inch tall, man-shaped plants are trying to kill you.
A bunch of 6 inch long omnivores are trying to kill you.

Honestly? I'm more concerned about the latter. I'm an omnivore - I have a very good idea of how quickly an omnivore can tear apart a creature, and hundreds of them is a terrifying thought.
To make the plants be scary, even though it's utterly ridiculous, they gave it a Con drain, poison, sonic-nausea attack, and some fast healing (kudos on the weakness, though). Then they made it have 21 Hit Dice just because; that gives it 5d6 damage and a CR in the teens.

Other than the crazy damage, I like the results of your converter. I'd probably knock it down to 2d6 (tiny creatures biting for more than 2d6? I can't buy it) and drop the stealth (stupid D&D-isms) and use it.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Zadmar
Legendary

#23 Postby Zadmar » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:01 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Why should it be more dangerous?

Consistency. For other monsters their Fighting skill is calculated from Base Attack (which is based on Hit Dice), so this helps scale swarms in a similar way. If someone is converting monsters from a prewritten module or adventure then I think it's helpful if those conversions retain at least a vaguely similar power level relative to other monsters, when possible.

ValhallaGH wrote:Other than the crazy damage, I like the results of your converter. I'd probably knock it down to 2d6 (tiny creatures biting for more than 2d6? I can't buy it) and drop the stealth (stupid D&D-isms) and use it.

That would make it a little tougher than a lion, but still a lot weaker than most CR 13 opponents.

It does also make me wonder if I should cap the skills, perhaps limit them to d12+4.

But of course you can adjust it, the intent of the tool is just to give you a headstart for your own conversions. If all you need to do is change the damage and lower one of the skills, then that's still going to save quite a bit of time.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#24 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:18 am

Zadmar wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:Why should it be more dangerous?

Consistency. For other monsters their Fighting skill is calculated from Base Attack (which is based on Hit Dice), so this helps scale swarms in a similar way. If someone is converting monsters from a prewritten module or adventure then I think it's helpful if those conversions retain at least a vaguely similar power level relative to other monsters, when possible.

Gotcha. Because the original designer made the monster way too capable, the converter is going to make it a lot meaner. I can understand that.

Zadmar wrote:If all you need to do is change the damage and lower one of the skills, then that's still going to save quite a bit of time.

Which is why I've never questioned the goal, just a couple points of implementation. It's my experience that people, especially new GMs, tend to cleave to conversion documents the same way they clung to the class structures; factor in the "I'm new, I don't understand the power curve" notes and you may be handing over a number of TPKs to new GMs.
PC Toughness doesn't normally change much. At best, it's 12 + Armor, and that requires five edges (one Background, four Legendary), or four edges and a hindrance, and a d12 Vigor. PC Toughness above 10 is rare, without magic items. 2d12 damage is going to inhale the Toughness 5 to 7 of most PCs, and may be effective against the Toughness 15 tank.

All that said, it's your tool and I've made my point. Do what you think is best. :-D
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Zadmar
Legendary

#25 Postby Zadmar » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 am

ValhallaGH wrote:It's my experience that people, especially new GMs, tend to cleave to conversion documents the same way they clung to the class structures; factor in the "I'm new, I don't understand the power curve" notes and you may be handing over a number of TPKs to new GMs.

I think you always have to take automatic conversions with a pinch of salt, although perhaps a disclaimer/warning would be a good idea.

However you'll note that my conversions also pit the new monster against 29 opponents from the core rules, to see how it compares. It also provides a statblock you can feed into the combat simulator, so you can see how well it does against your players (at least in pure melee) - you could even run a fight against your entire party if you wanted to.

ValhallaGH wrote:PC Toughness doesn't normally change much. At best, it's 12 + Armor, and that requires five edges (one Background, four Legendary), or four edges and a hindrance, and a d12 Vigor. PC Toughness above 10 is rare, without magic items.

Perhaps it would also be a good idea to pit the monster against my 12 PC Wild Card warriors (the ones I use for the Edge comparisons), as those have player-level Toughness? Or maybe I could put together a more complete list of common PC builds and automatically compare the monster with each of those, I think that would make it much easier to see at a glance how dangerous the monster would be to most PCs.

ValhallaGH wrote:2d12 damage is going to inhale the Toughness 5 to 7 of most PCs, and may be effective against the Toughness 15 tank.

It automatically hits, and ignores armour - but it never gets a raise, and only has one attack. It's also a glass cannon, with a poor Parry and Toughness. To put it in context, here are a few other CR 13 monsters that someone converting from D&D might expect to be similar in terms of threat:

Iron Golem
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4 (M), Spirit d6, Strength d12+4, Vigor d12+2
Skills: Fighting d12+1, Shooting d12
Charisma: -; Pace: 5; Parry: 8; Toughness: 18 (5)
Edges: None
Special Abilities
Armour +5: Natural armour.
Slams: Str+d8.
Infravision: Half vision penalties for darkness.
Mindless: Immune to mind-affecting magic.
Fearless: Immune to fear and Intimidation.
Construct: +2 to recover from Shaken, ignore wound modifiers.
Breath Weapon: Shooting +2; 2d10; Cone Template; avoid with opposed Agility roll.
Size +4: Increases Toughness by +4.
Large: -2 to attack medium-sized foes, they receive +2 to their attacks.

Storm Giant
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d12+1, Strength d12+6, Vigor d12+2
Skills: Fighting d12, Intimidation d6, Climbing d12+1, Notice d12+4, Repair d10, Swimming d12+2, Shooting d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 8; Parry: 7; Toughness: 20 (3)
Gear: Greatsword (Str+d10; Parry -1; 2 hands), composite longbow (Shooting; range 15/30/60; 2d6)
Edges: Combat Reflexes (+2 to Spirit rolls when recovering from Shaken), Sweep (Fighting roll at -2 vs everyone adjacent), Strong Willed, Arcane Background
Special Abilities
Armour +3: Natural armour.
Size +8: Increases Toughness by +8.
Huge: -4 to attack medium-sized foes, they receive +4 to their attacks.

Advanced Frost Worm
Attributes: Agility d12+1, Smarts d6 (A), Spirit d12+1, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12+3
Skills: Fighting d12+1, Notice d12+1, Stealth d8, Shooting d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6; Parry: 8; Toughness: 21 (4)
Edges: Combat Reflexes (+2 to Spirit rolls when recovering from Shaken), Level Headed (draw 1 extra initiative card), Sweep (Fighting roll at -2 vs everyone adjacent), Strong Willed
Special Abilities
Armour +4: Natural armour.
Bite: Str+d8; cold.
Burrow: Can burrow and reappear within 4".
Breath Weapon: Shooting +2; 2d10; Cone Template; avoid with opposed Agility roll.

Young Adult Red Dragon
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d10, Strength d12+4, Vigor d12+2
Skills: Fighting d12, Intimidation d6, Notice d12+1, Stealth d10, Shooting d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 7; Parry: 8; Toughness: 21 (4)
Edges: Ambidextrous (reduce offhand penalty by 2 points), Level Headed (draw 1 extra initiative card), Sweep (Fighting roll at -2 vs everyone adjacent), Strong Willed, Arcane Background
Tactics: Two Weapons
Special Abilities
Armour +4: Natural armour.
Bite: Str+d8.
Claws: Str+d8.
Flight: Flying Pace of 23".
Breath Weapon: Fire (Shooting +2; 2d10; Cone Template; avoid with opposed Agility roll).

Carnivorous Blob
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4 (M), Spirit d4, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12+2
Skills: Fighting d10, Climbing d12+2, Swimming d12+2
Charisma: -; Pace: 5; Parry: 7; Toughness: 24
Special Abilities
Slam: Str+d8; draining grab.
Constrict: Pin opponent on a raise, inflict Str+d6 per round after that.
Immunity to Poison: No damage or fatigue from poison.
Wall Walker: Can walk on walls and ceilings with Pace 5".
Draining: Make a Vigor roll or suffer a level of Fatigue.
Size +15: Increases Toughness by +15.

LittleRedFox
Novice

#26 Postby LittleRedFox » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Zadmar wrote:Iron Golem
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4 (M), Spirit d6, Strength d12+4, Vigor d12+2
Skills: Fighting d12+1, Shooting d12
Charisma: -; Pace: 5; Parry: 8; Toughness: 18 (5)
Special Abilities

Is that after manual processing or is the pathfinder convert just better? Because what it outputs for a straight cut and paste of the d20SRD Iron Golem entry into the link for d20 is

Iron golem
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4 (M), Spirit d6, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12+3
Skills: Fighting d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 3; Parry: 7; Toughness: 9
Special Abilities
Slams: Str+d4.

Zadmar
Legendary

#27 Postby Zadmar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:40 am

The results I'm posting here are all prior to any manual changes. This is what I get when I convert the d20srd iron golem:

Iron golem
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4 (M), Spirit d6, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12+3
Skills: Fighting d10, Shooting d8
Charisma: -; Pace: 5; Parry: 7; Toughness: 18 (5)
Special Abilities

Are you sure you copied the entire statblock? If so, it could be your browser that's adding (or not adding) newlines and confusing the parser - what browser are you using?

LittleRedFox
Novice

#28 Postby LittleRedFox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:29 am

Zadmar wrote:Are you sure you copied the entire statblock?

Pretty sure, yes, I've tried it several times.

Hmm. Pasting the Pathfinder stat block from http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mons ... golem-iron into either the pathfinder or d20 converter gives results similar to the one you list.

Zadmar wrote:If so, it could be your browser that's adding (or not adding) newlines and confusing the parser - what browser are you using?

Firefox 19.0.2, Ubuntu.

Ahh, Copying the block in Chromium and pasting it in in either Chromium or Firefox results in the full block you pasted. Copying from Firefox to either Firefox or Chromium results in the one I posted earlier.

Copying from firefox, pasting into Libre Office Writer and then copying from Writer also gives the full block.

But using Gedit or Pluma for the intermediate stage don't. And copying from Chromium pasting into either and then copying from there also gives the full block.

Well that's two workarounds. :)

Zadmar
Legendary

#29 Postby Zadmar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

It seems Firefox adds both a space and a tab between the cells when you copy the table, and this was confusing the tool. It should work now - tested with Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Thanks for the feedback!

LittleRedFox
Novice

#30 Postby LittleRedFox » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Zadmar wrote:It seems Firefox adds both a space and a tab between the cells when you copy the table, and this was confusing the tool. It should work now - tested with Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Thanks for the feedback!

Your welcome, Thanks for the tool.

I've tested it with the Tarrasque as well and it seems to work for me, so I'd say bug squashed.

mcbobbo
Novice

#31 Postby mcbobbo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Just touching base to report that this tool provided a fun and smooth opening to our Savaged Rise of the Runelords session this weekend. The only tweak I needed was to add casting to the warchanter (bard). Everything else 'felt' great just as converted.

I will say, though, that I learned two things:

1) Skip the bestiary pdf. Just use the pfsrd. I was confused as to why my vargouille had a short sword... srd fixed it right up.

2) Watch your formatting. Like any other parser, this tool expects certain input, and RotRL AE does not follow the standard. If you convert and it changes the name to 'Alpha', you'll know.

Zadmar
Legendary

#32 Postby Zadmar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:45 pm

mcbobbo wrote:Just touching base to report that this tool provided a fun and smooth opening to our Savaged Rise of the Runelords session this weekend. The only tweak I needed was to add casting to the warchanter (bard). Everything else 'felt' great just as converted.

I will say, though, that I learned two things:

1) Skip the bestiary pdf. Just use the pfsrd. I was confused as to why my vargouille had a short sword... srd fixed it right up.

2) Watch your formatting. Like any other parser, this tool expects certain input, and RotRL AE does not follow the standard. If you convert and it changes the name to 'Alpha', you'll know.

It has a number of defaults which were carried over from the combat simulator, including "Alpha" as the default name, d6 across the board for attributes, and a weapon based on your Strength (which has the default name "shortsword" for a d6 damage weapon - which is what you'd get if your Strength was also the default of d6).

Perhaps it would be better to bring up a "failure" message if it can't find a name or attributes - otherwise it's likely to be a really bad conversion anyway.

Glad it worked for you with the srd though. I've actually started converting the entire Pathfinder bestiary, and I update the conversion tool every time I come across a problem, so it's continually improving.

Shadowdragon
Seasoned

#33 Postby Shadowdragon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:09 pm

I've tried converting D&D stats to SW using converters and conversion rules. I can say with utmost certainty that it never works well. Stats just don't convert over very well at all. In D&D stats are assigned based on the level range of the monster, while in SW stats are assigned based on all of SW. So a +20 stat in D&D may actually be very weak for a creature of a given level, but when translated into SW it makes the creature godlike in that stat. I gave up on trying to do direct conversions after the frustration level got unbearable. I'd suggest just going back to converting based on feel and fluff, you'll be a lot happier and healthier for it.
http://www.chimerapress.com - home of the Mythic campaign setting
http://tristansnexus.wordpress.com/ - my painted miniatures gallery

mcbobbo
Novice

#34 Postby mcbobbo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Shadowdragon wrote:...you'll be a lot happier and healthier for it.

At this point in the game, I have to disagree. It's been effortless, and that lends itself to my overall health quite nicely.

Zadmar
Legendary

#35 Postby Zadmar » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:51 am

Shadowdragon wrote:I've tried converting D&D stats to SW using converters and conversion rules. I can say with utmost certainty that it never works well.

My experience has been exactly the opposite, I've found it works extremely well. Far from being godlike, the range of power levels after conversion is generally on a similar scale to the core rulebook (which perhaps isn't that surprising when you consider that I used Shane Hensley's conversion document as a guideline).

The option to convert "based on feel and fluff" is always available for those who prefer it, I'm certainly not forcing people to use the tool. But I find it does a better job than I could of consistently and reliably converting the relative power of different monsters.

LittleRedFox
Novice

#36 Postby LittleRedFox » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

Shadowdragon wrote:I've tried converting D&D stats to SW using converters and conversion rules.

I've been finding Zadamar's converters useful in my attempt to create stat blocks for all the Reaper Bones.

Zadmar
Legendary

#37 Postby Zadmar » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:36 pm

I've been gradually improving the tool to include more detail (for example it now differentiates between aquatic creatures, amphibious creatures, and creatures that are just good at swimming and holding their breath), but today I also made a cosmetic update.

If you copy and paste the NPC's description (or simply use CTRL-A and CTRL-C to copy the entire page) then that'll be included in the result. There's also a snowflake symbol to represent Wild Cards, so the results look much more like official statblocks - and it provides the HTML (as well as the BBCode) so that you can easily copy them elsewhere.

I strongly recommend using the Pathfinder version of the tool, as it generates better results, particularly for complex NPCs.

Murgh Bpurn
Seasoned

#38 Postby Murgh Bpurn » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:47 pm

Zadmar wrote:I strongly recommend using the Pathfinder version of the tool, as it generates better results, particularly for complex NPCs.

Now if only you could output that in Fantasy Grounds XML, that would be the Dogs Bollocks! :D
Swashbuckling, Spying & Sorcery in Supernatural Drake's Plymouth.

Zadmar
Legendary

#39 Postby Zadmar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:29 am

I've recently been converting War of the Burning Sky to Savage Worlds, and part of that process involved converting the bestiary. Following the d20 conversion guidelines, I ended up with a lot of NPCs like this:

Black horse thug: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Black horse scout: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Black horse cavalry: Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d10, Vigor d8
Shahalesti soldier, green: Agility d10, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Torrent: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d10, Vigor d8

The first four are supposed to be level 1 cannon fodder, while Torrent is a fighter 1/cleric 1 ally, who is also intended to be a replacement PC if someone dies (so I'd planned to rebuild her as if she were a PC anyway). However their attributes are really high compared to PCs - the scout has an extra 6 attributes points, the cavalry and "green" soldier have an extra 5, Torrent has an extra 4, and even the generic thug has an extra 2. A PC could take an extra 2 attribute points during creation (in return for hindrances), but after that they can only raise 1 attribute per rank, so players are probably going to feel pretty puny.

However if I change the conversion to follow the bonuses, so that -2 becomes d4, +2 becomes d8, +3 becomes d10, etc, we get:

D&D stat 6 (-2) or lower: d4
D&D stat 7 (-2): Was d6, now d4
D&D stat 8 (-1): d6
D&D stat 9 (-1): d6
D&D stat 10 (+0): d6
D&D stat 11 (+0): d6
D&D stat 12 (+1): Was d8, now d6
D&D stat 13 (+1): Was d8, now d6
D&D stat 14 (+2): Was d10, now d8
D&D stat 15 (+2): Was d10, now d8
D&D stat 16 (+3): d10
D&D stat 17 (+3): Was d12, now d10
D&D stat 18 (+4): d12

Which results in attributes like this:

Black horse thug: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Black horse scout: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Black horse cavalry: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Shahalesti soldier, green: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Torrent: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d8, Vigor d6

That's much closer to how I imagined the characters, and more or less what I'd have come up with if I'd be converting the flavour. Torrent's attributes are actually the same as my hand-built version, the thug has the d6-across-the-board I commonly use for generic soldiers, and the elven warrior PC is no longer outclassed by a "green" soldier from his homeland. The only character with more than 2 extra attribute points is the half-orc scout.

However there's another issue to consider. Most NPCs are created using stat arrays, which means (before applying racial modifiers) they have "13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8", or "15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8" if using the elite array. Both arrays are specifically intended to have one weakness (the 8), but following the conversion guidelines they come out as follows:

Normal array: Was "d8, d8, d6, d6, d6". Now "d6, d6, d6, d6, d6".
Elite array: Was "d10, d10, d8, d8, d6". Now: "d8, d8, d6, d6, d6".

This means most converted NPCs never have a weakness. Now I like weaknesses, they're a great way to encourage the use of tricks and tests of will. So what if we say that instead of 7 or lower being treated as d4, it's 8 or lower? We end up with this:

Black horse thug: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Black horse scout: Agility d8, Smarts d4, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d8
Black horse cavalry: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Shahalesti soldier, green: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Torrent: Agility d4, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d8, Vigor d6

The black horse thug now has exactly the same attributes as the "typical soldier" archtype from SWD, and both the thugs and scouts (who are described as being pretty stupid in the flavour text) have Smarts d4, making them particularly vulnerable to Taunt and Smarts tricks - which is ideal, as the PCs face them in the first encounter of the campaign. It's the perfect opportunity to introduce new players to the benefits of tricks and tests of will.

Poor Torrent only has Agility d4, but what's interesting is if we look at her converted statblock:

Torrent
Attributes: Agility d4, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d8, Vigor d6
Skills: Fighting d4, Notice d4, Knowledge (Local) d4, Persuasion d6, Swimming d8, Shooting d4, Faith d8
Charisma: -; Pace: 5; Parry: 4; Toughness: 8 (3)
Gear: Breastplate (+3), Masterwork battleaxe (Str+d8), light crossbow (Shooting; range 12/24/48; 2d6; AP 1)
Edges: Arcane Background (Miracles), Holy Warrior
Powers: Boost Trait (bless), Detect Arcana (sense magic), Elemental Manipulation (water)

That's actually very close to a starting Novice PC (she's human so gets 1 free Edge). She just needs 1 Major and 2 Minor Hindrances, to drop 1 power, and spend 1 more skill point. Her Pace should also be 6 (the original stats adjusted her speed because of armour). I'd likely tweak her a bit more (swap a power for Healing, perhaps lower Swimming, even replace Holy Warrior with an Agility raise), but the point is that the result of the conversion is much closer to the desired power level.

I'm going to be using this approach for my own conversions, but I know some people prefer to use Shane's guidelines. I think perhaps the best compromise would be to offer a radio button on the conversion tool, so that users can choose which approach they prefer.

Zadmar
Legendary

#40 Postby Zadmar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:20 am

Zadmar wrote:I'm going to be using this approach for my own conversions, but I know some people prefer to use Shane's guidelines. I think perhaps the best compromise would be to offer a radio button on the conversion tool, so that users can choose which approach they prefer.

I finally got around to adding a checkbox to the Pathfinder conversion tool which allows you to choose which approach you wish to use.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”