[Melior Via] Accursed: feedback regarding races and Edges

Discussion of products from third-party companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Zadmar
Legendary

[Melior Via] Accursed: feedback regarding races and Edges

#1 Postby Zadmar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:09 pm

There's been some good blog posts about the new Accursed setting, but they seem to focus on the fluff. I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at the crunch, and give some suggestions and feedback on the races and Edges.

This is intended as constructive criticism. There's a lot of things I didn't mention, because overall I think it's a very nice setting. But there are some things I disagree with, and I figured if I was going to comment I might as well do it before the book has been finalised, when there's still a chance that my comments might be useful.

Dhampir: +4 race
+2: Dark Charm: +2 Charisma.
+2: Graceful: Agility d6.
+1: Keen Senses: Notice d6.
+1: Low Light Vision.
+2: Nimble: +1 Parry.
-1: Wood Weakness: +4 damage from wood.
-2: Enemy: Major Hindrance?
-1: Blood Hunger: Minor Hindrance?

The bonuses are all standard options from the SWD race creation rules. Wood Weakness is identical to the Weakness Minor Hindrance in NE/SPC. From the description of Enemy, I'd consider it comparable with the Enemy Major Hindrance. Blood Hunger is pretty weak (Spirit roll at +2 once per scene max, so you'd only normally fail on snake eyes, and even then it doesn't stop you acting) so I'd classify it as a Minor Hindrance.

Call to the Wild: No detail about how much control you have over the animals you summon, or how many you can control at once, or how often you can use it. Could you keep summoning more every round? Depending on the number and type of animal you can summon (bears? Lions?) this could be an extremely powerful Edge. I'd suggest having some limits on what you can summon (like with Familiar) and how many you can control at once (perhaps half your Spirit).

Golem: +2 race
+2: Constructed: Construct.
-3: Deliberate: Max Agility is d6.
+4: Hulking: +2 Toughness.
-1: Weakness: +4 damage from either fire or blunt weapons.

The race itself seems a pretty clear +2 by the race creation rules (I still feel Construct is a bit strong for a +2 racial ability, but that's an argument for another time).

Thunderclap: The extra roll every time you hit your opponent will slow down combat, but my main concern is the inability to recover from Shaken for d6 rounds - this would require tracking the remaining rounds for each Extra you hit, adding bookkeeping beyond the normal "up, down, or off the table" that makes combat with Extras so fast. I'd much rather see something you can apply then forget about (perhaps knockback?).

Mongrel: +2 race
-2: Agonizing Pain + Soothing Elixir: Hard to value this one.
+4: Animal Components: Hard to value as well.

Difficult to judge this one, there's a whole mixture of bonuses and penalties, but my best estimates bring it to +2 which is the 'standard' for a race.

Bear the Pain: Adds bookkeeping, as you'd have to track wounds and wound modifiers separately and adjust them at the end of the scene. Personally I'd prefer to see a simple bonus, perhaps just something like "ignore 1 point of penalty from both wound modifiers and fatigue" - that way it would be better than Nerves of Steel (and could stack with Nerves/Improved to potentially eliminate all wound penalties), but is simple to track.

Hybrid Survival: +4 Survival and its a non-Professional Edge (so it would stack with Woodsman/etc). Personally I prefer not to have more than +2 to a skill, and that only for Professional Edges. I'd also rather see more flavour than just a single skill bonus. If I were house ruling this, I'd probably just rule that Hybrid Survival grants the Woodsman Edge without needing to meet the normal requirements.

Mummy: +6 race
+6: From the Tomb: Construct and +2 Toughness.
-1: Hideous Visage: -2 Charisma.
-2: Inveterate Pawn: Spirit costs double during creation.
+3: Sarcophagus Shell: Armour 2 and natural weapons.

Going by the race creation rules, Mummy comes out at +6. They can't take Attractive, but Royal Tradition gives them the same benefits, and the requirments would also let them take Charismatic and Majesty over the Unliving.

Revenant: +4 race
+6: Undead: Construct and +2 Toughness.
+2: Power of the Crypt: Vigor d6, max is d12+2.
+2: Dead Already: Comparable with an Edge.
-2: Restless Dead: Hard to value, but Major Hindrance at most.
-2: Overriding Goal: Major Hindrance.
-1: Animated Corpse: -2 Charisma.
-1: Iron Weakness: +4 damage from cold iron.

Power of the Crypt is a bit better than just starting at d6, but reaching d12+2 still requires investing the advances, so I wouldn't change the value from the SWD suggestion. Dead Already is difficult to judge, but seems on-par with an Edge. Overriding Goal is a bit like the Vow or Habit Major Hindrance. So I'd rate this as a +4 race.

Boundless Perseverance: An extra 3 wound levels is really quite strong when you consider they already ignore wound modifiers. My Edge Builder rates it as being worth 1-2 Edges, but it has a lot of use beyond melee combat. I would probably restrict it to just 2 or even 1 extra wound level, and remove the bit about working towards their Overriding Goal (otherwise it puts the GM a really awkward position when the PC goes beyond 3 wounds; announcing "you're no longer following your goal" would be tantamount to saying "rocks fall, you die").

No Need for Light: Fine balance-wise, but the description makes it sound exactly like Low Light Vision. If that's the case, the name is a bit misleading, as "No Need for Light" wouldn't actually allow you to see in pitch darkness any better than a normal person. I could see this leading to arguments.

Vargr: +1 race
-2: Insatiable Hunger: Major hindrance? Bit like Habit.
+2: Bestial Form: Very hard to value.
+1: Lupine Senses: +2 smell-based Notice.
+1: Natural Weapons
-1: Silver Vulnerability

Bestial Form is very difficult to value. When transformed you gain +2 steps to Strength (+3 racial ability) and +2 steps to Fighting (I'd personally rate that as +3 as well, as it'd automatically include at least +1 Parry, which is already a +2 racial ability) along with -4 Charisma (-2 racial ability). So that would be +4, but I'd be inclined to half it because of the potential difficulty with activation. However it's pretty difficult to be exact, I could see arguments for this race being balanced at +2. My real concern is with the edges.

Strength of the Motherland: Strength starting at d6 is fine. Strength "increasing" to d12+1 in Bestial Form means it could give anything from a +2 die step bonus to a -1 die step penalty. I'd prefer to keep it relative, eg an extra +1 die step while in Bestial Form.

Rapid Recovery: You can't perform other actions at the same time, but it's still effectively Fast Regeneration (with the bonus of benefitting from multiple raises). This is really, really strong, particularly for a Seasoned Edge. Slow Regeneration is more on-par with an Edge, although I don't think it would be too unreasonable to increase it to one roll per hour which ignores failure and raises (as it's a racial Edge and doesn't work against silver). But a healing roll every round isn't something I'd allow unless it used bennies.

The Wilding: This works like Berserk except that it lowers your Smarts to d4 (a Berserk character would probably have Smarts d4 anyway), you don't hit your friends on a 1, and it's much easier to end the rage. As far as I can tell it seems you can also activate it at will. Berserk is the most powerful melee Edge in the core rules, and with Barbaric Blood you can activate it at will by spending a benny, while Improved Barbaric Blood removes the -2 penalty to end the rage and the chance of hitting friends on a 1. The Wilding the same as all three of those Edges except that it doesn't cost a benny, you use Spirit to end it (so your trait will probably be better), and it ends automatically after combat. Even as a Veteran Edge, I would rather see the bonuses split into two Edges - or perhaps have it require (and replace) Berserk, so that people can't stack both.

Cloak of Baba Yaga: This is the most powerful Edge I've ever seen (it actually renders Rapid Recovery obsolete). Consider that Immunity with Nearly Complete Coverage (from the SPC) costs 16 PP and would allow you to halve damage from all sources except one (such as silver). Cloak of Baba Yaga means you can only be Shaken unless the damage is silver, which could be combined with Relentless and Combat Reflexes for a character who can't even be slowed down by anything short of silver (with their huge Fighting bonus they could also use Rapid Attack to reliably make three attacks per round even when Shaken). The GM would have to use silver to give the player any sort of challenge, which means rendering their Edge useless on a regular basis.

My suggestion would be either (or both, as two separate Edges):

1) The player gets a free Soak roll every time they receive damage, unless it's from silver. This is still a decent benefit (my Edge Builder rates it at around 1 Edge, and it would work against non-melee attacks as well), but it wouldn't protect against their Weakness.

2) The player can be incapacitated as normal, but can only be killed by silver - anything else (including Bleeding Out and permanent injuries as well as death) simply doesn't apply unless the damage is caused by silver weapons. Combined with their enhanced healing this would be a great survival option, but they could still be temporarily disabled or captured.

Some other stuff:

Weak Willed (Minor): This is the opposite of Strong Willed, and the penalty is really quite harsh. I would suggest making it a Major Hindrance.

Officer of the Alliance: Hefty requirements, loads of cool flavour text, but the crunch is +1 benny that can only be used in specific circumstances. I would really like to see more, at the very least allow the officer to spend their bennies on their troops.

Outlander: Is this a Professional Edge? It really needs more benefits.

Riposte: This seems to be exactly the same as Counterattack. What happens if someone takes both?

John_Dunn
Seasoned

#2 Postby John_Dunn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi, Richard,

That's some great and thorough feedback. We'll definitely take it into consideration, and compile it in with the other playtest feedback that we receive.

All of the races were intended to be +2 characters. I'll need to sit down and compare your math to my own spreadsheets to see where the inconsistencies come from. It's possible that we're interpreting things differently. It's also very possible that I misentered something or that something was changed in the editing process. This is absolutely why it's a playtest draft. :wink:
John Dunn - Freelance RPG Writer
Melior Via, LLC

Zadmar
Legendary

#3 Postby Zadmar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:52 pm

I thought I'd create an example character, to show how dangerous the Vargr can be.

Fuzzball
Race: Vargr
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d4, Spirit d8, Strength d4, Vigor d8
Skills: Fighting d12, Notice d6, Stealth d6, Survival d4, Tracking d4
Charisma: -2/-10; Pace: 5 (d6 running die); Parry: 9; Toughness: 7
Hindrances: Bloodthirsty (M), Obese (m), Mean (m)
Edges: Cloak of Baba Yaga, Relentless

In Bestial Form his Strength increases to d8 and his Fighting to d12+2, he grows teeth and claws that inflict d8+d6 damage. Only silver can hurt him, anything else just causes him to become Shaken - and he has Relentless, so if he just gets a normal success when rolling to recover from Shaken (81.25% likelyhood), he can still take a single action. That single action will usually be a Wild Rapid Attack: three attacks without penalty (d12+2+2-4=d12) each inflicting d8+d6+2 damage.

His first advance will be used to purchase Berserk. While Berserk, he ignores wound penalties (assuming anyone can hurt him), his Fighting increases to d12+4 (d12+2 when using Wild Attack and Rapid Attack), his damage increases to d8+d6+4 (with Wild Attack) and his Toughness increases to 9. As he can only be hurt by silver, and doesn't really care about being Shaken, going berserk is as simple as getting the rest of the group to open fire on him. After that they can snipe anyone armed with silver, while Fuzzball wipes out everyone else.

His second advance will be Strength of the Motherland. This increases his Strength to d6 in human form, and d12+1 in Bestial Form. His three d12+2 attacks now each inflict d12+d6+5 damage. At this point, with two advances under his belt, Fuzzball would have around a 60% chance of defeating a dragon in solo melee combat (assuming the dragon could actually hurt him, which it couldn't).

His third advance could be Trademark Weapon (claws), or Vigor (more Toughness), but I'd probably favour Elan - not only would that be great for rerolling attacks, it would also help with Soak rolls.

His fourth advance is Seasoned, so he'll take Combat Reflexes. When Shaken, he now has a 98% chance of getting at least a success on the recovery roll, allowing him to make his three attacks.

There are plenty of other options he can take after that, but the important one is The Wilding at Veteran: He can now make one attack per round at d12+8, or three attacks per round at d12+4 - or three called shots to the head per round at d12, each inflicting d12+d6+11 damage. His Toughness is now 11, although he'd likely have raised it higher with other advances by now.

Zadmar
Legendary

#4 Postby Zadmar » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:29 am

The Deadly Accuracy setting rule looks rather potent. I've actually discussed using the same concept (+d6 damage per raise) in this thread, but it was combined with the limitation that damage dice no longer explode. When you have multiple raises giving multiple dice and each damage dice can explode, things get a lot more swingy:

Although the average damage in the above scenario only increases from 11.02 to 13.12, you can clearly see that the relative chance of getting a high-damage roll increasing significantly. By contrast, Soak rolls use just the highest of two dice, making it far easier to inflict multiple wounds than to Soak them.

It also makes Wild Attack even more dangerous (because of double dipping), and called shots to the vitals become obsolete (a raise inflicts an average of +4.2 damage, so why bother taking a -4 penalty to hit in return for +4 damage?). Called shots to the head would still be useful, but only against opponents wearing armour without a helmet, which wouldn't be the case for most monsters.

Deadly Accuracy is the sort of thing I might turn into a Legendary Edge, and also require the expenditure of a benny to activate (after rolling the attack but before rolling damage). As a setting rule, particularly in a setting like Accursed (where I envision the PCs facing off against numerous minions) it's likely to result in a lot of player deaths.

EDIT: To show just how dangerous Deadly Accuracy can be, here's a breakdown.

An average Wild Card PC has Toughness 5, so 21+ damage will incapacitate him in one-shot. Deadly Accuracy means he's 2.2 times as likely to be one-shotted (incapacitated with a single blow).

In practice he could probably Soak at least one wound (75% chance with Vigor d6), so 25+ damage would be more serious. Deadly Accuracy means he's 3.1 times as likely to be one-shotted even if he Soaks a wound.

With two or three bennies to spend, he'd have a reasonable chance of getting a raise on the Soak roll, so 29+ damage would be better still - that should make it very likely he's taken out, even if he has a full supply of bennies. Deadly Accuracy means he's 4.1 times as likely to be one-shotted even if he Soaks two wounds.

EDIT: And I just noticed Accursed uses the Blood & Guts setting rule as well. Ouch! I can see Accursed having a very high PC turnover rate.

Zadmar
Legendary

#5 Postby Zadmar » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 am

Just as Lucky

The description of this setting rule states "Any time a Wild Card spends a Benny...", but I'm assuming it would apply to Extras as well.

This feels too much like bait-and-switch to me, I don't like the idea of spending a benny to negate a player's success (particularly when it costs them a benny at the same time) - plus it provides even more incentive for the PCs to hoard their bennies for Soak rolls (which is already a problem for some groups).

At the very least, I would allow the first player to get their benny back. But personally I'd rather take it a step further:

When a character spends a benny on an action that directly affects another character, the affected character can offer them a benny as a bribe. If the first character accepts the bribe, they keep both bennies instead of taking/rerolling the action.

This turns the stick into a carrot. It encourages PCs to spend bennies on actions, and doesn't force them to give up a great success.

Zadmar
Legendary

#6 Postby Zadmar » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:26 am

Revenants receive +4 damage from "cold iron", which is actually just a poetic and archaic term for iron - and sometimes it refers to steel as well. However that would make the weakness extremely common, and as Accursed references the Horror Companion I would speculate that it's supposed to be using the definition of "cold iron" from that book, which refers specifically to pure iron weapons that haven't been heated in a forge (it includes additional rules for them as well).

Zadmar
Legendary

#7 Postby Zadmar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:00 am

Circle of Thorns: Those within a MBT can potentially lose their next action, which means more bookkeeping (you need to track who has lost their next action).

The witch makes a Spellcasting roll, each victim opposes it with Agility.

If the victim wins the roll, they lose their next action but can move out of the MBT. On a raise they move without losing their next action.

If the witch wins the roll, the victim is entangled (and takes damage if the witch got a raise). On their next action, the victim can make a roll to break free - and on a raise they can act as well. That leads to the following oddity:

Witch: Cast spell, victim gets a success.
Victim: Miss action.

Witch: Cast spell, victim fails.
Victim: Make a roll, break free on a success (raise lets you take an action as well).

So if the victim is a Wild Card and/or has a high Agility, they're actually better off if they fail the initial roll than if they get a normal success (plus the second roll will usually be easier, as it's against TN 4 rather than opposed).

I'd therefore suggest you discard the "miss action" thing, and simply say that the victim is entangled. Personally I would probably treat the whole thing as a trapping for the Entangle power - it works exactly like the same except that it's Veteran, it always affects a MBT, and if the victim fails to break free or uses Strength to break free, they suffer damage.

Zadmar
Legendary

#8 Postby Zadmar » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:36 am

Feral Form: This effectively grants you six potent powers for the price of one, each time you cast it you can choose one of the following benefits:

• +2 die steps to both Strength and Vigor.
• Same benefits as the basic Fly spell (which is also the same rank and PP cost), but better Climb.
• The Awareness Edge twice (the bonus stacks), and a Str+d4 bite attack.
• The Gore ability and Str+d4 horns.
• The Pounce ability with slightly better range but half the bonus.
• The Go for the Throat ability and a Str+d6 bite attack.

I can't see anyone not taking this power. The fact that you get the full bonus with a normal success also makes it a prime candidate for a (duration) ritual.

I'd suggest changing the first three options to something like:

Bear: +1 die steps to both Strength and Vigor (like a double casting of Boost Trait).
Hawk: Your arms become winglike granting you flight, but you cannot use your hands while flying.
Hound: +2 to scent-based Notice rolls, and gain the ability to track by scent.

And make it explicit that you cannot have the powers of more than one animal at a time. It'll still be a strong power.

Zadmar
Legendary

#9 Postby Zadmar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Two more witchbreeds have been released, and thematically they look great. John has asked for feedback, so I'll post it here. As before, these are just my opinions, and are intended as constructive feedback rather than criticism.

Shade: +0 race

+2: Fear: Innate Power (see my comments below about Power Points).
-3: Limited Presence: Strength costs double.
+4: Out of Phase: Skill d6, +1 Parry, +2 resist environmental effects.
+1: Phasing: Burrowing with trappings.
-1: Unnatural Aura: Animals avoid the character (can be useful, but usually annoying).
-3: Vulnerability (Salt): Three separate penalties, each worth a Minor Hindrance.

Fear works like Innate Power, which is a Novice Edge (+2).

Unnatural Aura is difficult to price, because although it's a serious social drawback (animals fleeing your presence) and would effectively prevent you from using the Riding skill, it also means wild animals won't attack you (which is half the benefit of Beast Master), so overall I think I'd rate it at -1.

Vulnerability includes Weakness (-1), prevents you crossing salt (including salt water) which I'd rate at -1 (it's like the Restriction Minor Hindrance I added in Savage Undead) and gives you a -2 penalty to all trait rolls when in the presence of salt, which I'd probably rate as another Minor Hindrance.

The other abilities are standard racial abilities (except Phasing, which is Burrowing with trappings, but still seems reasonably well balanced against Burrowing).

I'd be inclined to give them Low Light Vision (+1), as it would seem to fit their concept.

Edges

Spectral Constitution: I can't see many people taking this as written. I'd suggest giving it a +2 bonus to Soak rolls (in addition to the environmental bonus), with the trapping that they become incorporeal when struck.

Improved Spectral Constitution: Hardy is one of those abilities that sounds fantastic, but is actually not (see here). I'd suggest giving it an additional related benefit - how about if the character successfully Soaks all damage, they get their benny back?

Spectral Chill of the Grave: Between this, Fear, and a possible Arcane Background (which is recommended for shades in the flavour text), there are too many separate Power Point pools to keep track of. I'd therefore suggest using a No Power Points variant for this and Fear, maybe just something like they suffer an automatic level of Fatigue if they roll 1 on their trait die.

Spectral Camouflage: Enemies suffering a -6 penalty to their attacks is a bit much. I would probably make it -2, and say that the PC can still attack. Alternatively it could be scaled based on the lighting, so the penalty is -1 in dim light, -2 in darkness and -4 in pitch darkness (in addition to penalties for the lighting itself).

Spectral Flight: Looks fine, decent but not overpowered, although I'd probably lower the rank requirement to Veteran (the same as the Fly power).

Ophidian: +4½ race

+5: Venomous Bite: Natural Weapons, Poison and 2 x Potent Poison racial abilities.
+½: Disjointed: Squeeze through small areas while moving full Pace.
+2: Serpent Strike: First Strike.
-1: Cold-Blooded: Minor penalty in extremely cold areas.
-3: Caustic: Vigor costs double.
-1: Enemy: Racial Enemy racial ability.
+2: Serpent Senses: Alertness.

Disjointed is a pretty weak ability compared to other movement abilities (such as Burrowing or Wall Walker), so I wouldn't feel comfortable rating it at +1 - but it is still a potentially useful ability, and I wouldn't want to make it free. Thus I've left it at +½.

Cold-Blooded gives a -1 penalty to Trait rolls and half pace, but only in "extremely cold climates". The Allergy Minor Hindrance in NE gives a -4 penalty to one common condition (and lists cold as an example), although I think that's actually a bit potent for a Minor Hindrance, but I guess that's because it's for a supers setting. However I certainly wouldn't rate Cold-Blooded as being worth more than -1.

The other abilities are standard racial abilities.

Edges

Whiptail: +1 Parry is worth an Edge (it's the same as Block) and +1 Reach is also worth an Edge (particularly as ophidians get First Strike as a racial ability, allowing them to retreat 1" without their enemies getting a free attack and thus using First Strike potentially every round). Then they get the entangle ability as well...this should really be split into two Edges (or drop the Parry bonus), and even then it would be a solid choice.

Speed of the Serpent: Decent Edge, not excessive but certainly good (a bit better than Fleet-Footed, but I'd expect that from a racial Edge - and the two can stack).

Shedding the Skin: +2 Subterfuge (Stealth) once per week isn't particularly appealing, not when compared to the Thief Edge - and becoming Shaken is an insignificant penalty when the ability requires 15 minutes to activate. Also, wouldn't the Edge require the ophidian to strip naked? The picture shows him dressed in clothing with a hooded cloak. I'd suggest something more along the lines of a permanent +2 Subterfuge bonus when the ophidian is naked, and the ability to make a natural healing roll one per day instead of once per five days (as they can strip off damaged skin), that would be decent but not excessive.

Deadly Venom: I'd probably just give them Lethal poison outright with this Edge, rather than making them take it twice.

Constrictor: Seems okay, but personally I'd be tempted to give them the Constrict Monstrous Ability (the same as the constrictor snake in the SWD bestiary) instead of a Grappling bonus, I think it would fit the concept better.

EDIT: Potent Poison only gives -1, it would need to be taken twice for the -2 penalty. Adjusted the price accordingly.

Zadmar
Legendary

#10 Postby Zadmar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:24 am

Here's my pricing estimates of the races in the final version:

Dhampir: +2 race
+2: Dark Charm: +2 Charisma.
+2: Graceful: Agility d6.
+1: Keen Senses: Notice d6.
+1: Low Light Vision.
-1: Wood Weakness: +4 damage from wood.
-2: Enemy: Major Hindrance.
-1: Blood Hunger: Minor Hindrance.

Golem: +2 race
+2: Constructed: Construct.
-3: Deliberate: Max Agility is d6.
+4: Hulking: +2 Toughness.
-1: Weakness: +4 damage from either fire or blunt weapons.

Mongrel: +0 race
-4: Agonizing Pain: Double cost to raise Spirit and -2 Charisma.
+4: Animal Components: Gain two Edges.

Mummy: +2 race
+2: From the Tomb: Construct.
-1: Hideous Visage: -2 Charisma.
-2: Inveterate Pawn: Spirit costs double during creation.
+3: Sarcophagus Shell: Armour 2 and natural weapons.

Ophidian: +3½ race
+5: Venomous Bite: Natural Weapons, Poison and 2 x Potent Poison racial abilities.
+½: Disjointed: Squeeze through small areas while moving full Pace.
+2: Serpent Strike: First Strike.
-1: Cold-Blooded: Minor penalty in extremely cold areas.
-3: Caustic: Vigor costs double.
-2: Enemy: More severe than a racial enemy, comparable with a Major Hindrance.
+2: Serpent Senses: Alertness.

Revenant: +0 race
+2: Undead: Construct.
+2: Power of the Crypt: Vigor d6, max is d12+2.
+2: Dead Already: Comparable with an Edge.
-2: Restless Dead: Hard to value, but Major Hindrance at most.
-2: Overriding Goal: Major Hindrance.
-1: Animated Corpse: -2 Charisma.
-1: Iron Weakness: +4 damage from cold iron.

Shade: +0 race
+2: Fear: Innate Power.
-3: Limited Presence: Strength costs double.
+4: Out of Phase: Skill d6, +1 Parry, +2 resist environmental effects.
+1: Phasing: Burrowing with trappings.
-1: Unnatural Aura: Animals avoid the character (can be useful, but usually annoying).
-3: Vulnerability (Salt): Three separate penalties, each worth a Minor Hindrance.

Vargr: +1 race (but hard to value, I could see the argument for +2)
-2: Insatiable Hunger: Major hindrance? Bit like Habit.
+2: Bestial Form: Very hard to value, could be justified at +3.
+1: Lupine Senses: +2 smell-based Notice.
+1: Natural Weapons
-1: Silver Vulnerability

Return to “SW Licensees”