[HOE:R] Templar Power: Succor

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Madmartigan
Novice

[HOE:R] Templar Power: Succor

#1 Postby Madmartigan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:47 pm

A question about templars using the power succor.

The book says this:
Templar Powers: Simon Mercer’s knights may only use their powers on themselves, with the exception of healing and greater healing.

Reading the power list, templar's have the spell succor which reads:

Succor removes one Fatigue level, two with a raise. It can also remove a character’s Shaken status.

Succor may be used to restore consciousness to those who have been Incapacitated due to wounds as well, though the wounds remain. It does not stop bleeding or otherwise stop mortal wounds from worsening, however.

For me, that seems like the base level Lay on Hands from Classic and therefore should be able to cast it on anyone like healing and greater healing and I don't understand why it is restricted.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Savage Worlds Deluxe has this for the trappings on succor:
Trappings: Prayer, laying on hands, curative tonic.

jodokast
Novice

#2 Postby jodokast » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 am

If a player asked, I'd allow it.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I can't comment on the why, but that sounds a lot more like the Mana power - the one that fed the Templar (and no one else). Looked at from that perspective, it makes sense for why it's not included.

Also, most sources of Fatigue are poisons, diseases, and similar effects (like radiation). Also starvation and dehydration. Only the Greater Reward for lay on hands could do anything about those.
The base "restore wind" part of the power might be akin to removing a level of Bumps & Bruises Fatigue, but not all the other conditions that now grant fatigue.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#4 Postby MagusRogue » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Ehh... i can see both points, but really succor is a healing power, and Templars get the ability to heal others with a touch, so I don't see why it's not allowed, and I'd definately allow it. Without allowing it to be cast on others, you effectively neuter half of the power: you cant cast spells on yourself when you're Shaken or unconscious due to damage, after all. Sides, as noted in the books (namely Fantasy Companion, but I think Deluxe goes over this as well under the Mage background), succor is a healing power, and this isn't Classic, after all.

I posted this as an official question to Clint in the official questions board. Hope to see some errata on this.
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:24 am

ValhallaGH wrote:Also, most sources of Fatigue are poisons, diseases, and similar effects (like radiation). Also starvation and dehydration. Only the Greater Reward for lay on hands could do anything about those.
The base "restore wind" part of the power might be akin to removing a level of Bumps & Bruises Fatigue, but not all the other conditions that now grant fatigue.

Healing and Greater Healing already have the ability to remove disease and poison, so that's covered.

Wind was more like nonlethal damage in this case and the healing powers affect that too.

In short, no, Templars do not "officially" get Succor usable on others. They're powers are primarily about fighting things and being Templars, not alleviating hunger. thirst, or exposure in the world.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#6 Postby MagusRogue » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Aha, that makes alot of sense. Thanks for the clarification, Clint!
Adam Loyd

Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”