Question on Alchemy

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Volt875
Seasoned

Question on Alchemy

#1 Postby Volt875 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 am

Hi all, so strange question. The AB Alchemy from the Fantasy Companion, I am trying to think of a in game world reason as to why the alchemist's power points don't come back until the potions are used. I mean why wouldn't they just buy more ingredients? Any suggestions?

As a side note I completely understand why from a rules point of view. I'm not trying to bash the arcane background I just happen to have a, oh how to put it nicely, "loophole" player who tends to complain about this kinda thing.
"...If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!"- Thorin Oakenshield; The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Wibbs
Veteran

#2 Postby Wibbs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 am

Because they're investing some of the innate magical power into each potion, and until a potion is used that power is locked in?

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#3 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 am

Alternatively, you could employ the Chemist Edge from Slipstream.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

farik
Seasoned

#4 Postby farik » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 am

Sitting Duck wrote:Alternatively, you could employ the Chemist Edge from Slipstream.

Or the equivalent from the pulp toolkit.

Clint
Site Admin

#5 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 am

Wibbs wrote:Because they're investing some of the innate magical power into each potion, and until a potion is used that power is locked in?

What he said. This isn't "mix up the potion and it does something magical" alchemy; as the AB notes, the Alchemist invests PPs into the items. It's still their magic just "suspended" safely in the mixture until used.

If the character wants to make the other kind of potions, you can tell them it's possible if they want to set up a full-scale permanent lab, by expensive magical ingredients, and spend days instead of hours brewing up a potion. That's the alchemy of the non-adventuring daily grind of working it as a job.

That'd be a fun game; we could call it Orichalcum & Overtime! ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

LegendaryBard
Novice

#6 Postby LegendaryBard » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 am

Clint wrote:

I'd play the crap out of that.
Not actually that savage.

GranFalloon
Veteran

#7 Postby GranFalloon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:52 pm

LegendaryBard wrote:
Clint wrote:

I'd play the crap out of that.

Like you have a choice. If you don't make your quota this month, Lumberg's gonna have you working over the weekend.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”