Going to be Starting 50 Fathoms Soon

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

warrenss2
Heroic

Going to be Starting 50 Fathoms Soon

#1 Postby warrenss2 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:06 am

Well... I just ran my two sons, Ethan -age 11, Trey - age 21, and my girl friend, Pam - I'd get kilt dead on the spot if I even think of giving out her age!!!, though the Showdown adventure, "It Came from the Foatsam Sea". The Pirates won the day.

And now, they all want to play in the 50 Fathoms world.

Some house rules I'm going to have in the game...

Going to be using the WizKids Pirates! ships in the game as suggested in the "Pirates of the Spanish Main" book. Save space.

Thinking about adapting this story, Robert Louis Stevenson's, The Bottled Imp, into an adventure (along with most of the PotSM ones too).

I've also be devouring SavageGamerGirl's 50F Campaign Journal with much enjoyment.

Sort of nervous. I've run Post Apocalyptic, Zombies, and Pulp games (in different systems) but this one is going to be my first SW game. gulp!

Please!!! Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!
:blam:

Tavis
Heroic

#2 Postby Tavis » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:22 am

A Piece of advice I've always found useful for 50F is to get an idea of where your crew is intending to head to next at the end of a session - it makes for easier preperation of what to do at the next session.

There's a link in my Sig to my 50F campaign page - certainly a different style to SGG, but you might find something of interest there as well.
Currently Playing:

SWD: Savage Mystara (GM)

fanchergw
Heroic

#3 Postby fanchergw » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Dylan S
Veteran

#4 Postby Dylan S » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 am

Prepare your players for a little more bookkeeping than most other settings. In addition to their characters, they'll have to keep track of their ship's stats and wounds, their crew number and stats, provisions, ammunition, cargo, days spent at sea (for the purposes of pay, provisions, and cabin-fever), the amount of treasure shared by the crew, direction and distance traveled, and all the usual "mythology" notes for such a large world (what species is Emperor Jant, again?). For flavour, I also like to track the day of the week (bathing, Church, and laundry on Sundays!) and the month of the year (for seasonal changes, religious holidays, etc.).

It takes some getting used to, to put it mildly.

VonDan
Legendary

#5 Postby VonDan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 am

Pirate Hats

Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”