SPC vs. Core

Information and comments on all Pinnacle official Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
amerigoV
Heroic
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

SPC vs. Core

#1 Postby amerigoV » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 am

Since Star Wars is in the news, I have always felt the Jedi were Superheros among Heros. I used the SPC to make some Jedi for a one-shot and really liked how they came out. But if I wanted to run a "traditional" campaign (with smugglers and wookies mixed in), I figure I could do SPC for Jedi and use higher level core rules for everyone else.

So here is my question, what is the spread between the core rules and SPC? If I have a 0xp SPC character, what is the equivalent Deluxe character (+20xp?)
Savage Buckeye!

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 6412
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: SPC vs. Core

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 am

amerigoV wrote:If I have a 0xp SPC character, what is the equivalent Deluxe character (+20xp?)

Depends upon the powers chosen and power points options. For example, a Major Leaguers game could grant as many as 28 power points at 0 XP, while a Minor Leaguers game could have as few as 6 at 0 xp.
For 28 power points a character can start with +16 steps of fighting (d6 becomes d12+13) and +10 combat edges (Improved Dodge, Improved Block, Improved Frenzy, Improved Trademark Weapon, Harder to Kill). With a -2 to be shot and a Parry of 16, there's no Core Rules build that can match him, though a Legendary character (90 XP) can have as high as a 13 Parry before equipment.
For 10 power points a character can start with +4 steps of fighting (d6 becomes d12+1) and +4 combat edges.


As a loose guideline (based upon the Super Edge power), every +2 Power Points is equivalent to 1 advance. So, non-Jedi need +5 experience for every 2 Power Points of Jedi powers. So, if Jedi get 20 power points at 0xp, smugglers and other non-Jedi would start with 50xp.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19373
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

#3 Postby Clint » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:17 am

Yeah, there's really no "equivalency" here. My suggestion would be to just let the other characters use the Super Power rules too. Seriously.

Let them take some powers as "racial abilities," and then just limit the others that can be taken to things a non-Jedi could get.

Smuggler? Vehicle power with extras
Big Hairy Sidekick? Growth (Monster), Super Attribute (Vigor, Strength), etc.

Other "powers" they could take; Super Edge, Super Skill, Headquarters, Minions, Gifted, heck possibly even low levels of Parry, Deflect, or Toughness.

You could even add an option for the non-Jedis only to have a Modifier on Super Edge to get non-Combat Edges too, so they can be more well-rounded or specialized in other areas.

Or heck, you could use Device to let "normal" folks get specialized gear like a custom blaster pistol or even a suit of armor with a jetpack, cable grapple, etc. for a bounty hunter. ;)

Anyway, an option to consider.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

User avatar
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:53 pm

#4 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 am

Clint's advice is good.

I was once involved in a game in which, very briefly, one character used the SPC and the rest of us the core rules. That one character outstripped all the others in every conceivable way.

If one character uses the SPC, then all should.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

amerigoV
Heroic
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

#5 Postby amerigoV » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:25 am

Clint wrote:Other "powers" they could take; Super Edge, Super Skill, Headquarters, Minions, Gifted, heck possibly even low levels of Parry, Deflect, or Toughness.

Anyway, an option to consider.


It certainly would explain why those crack Stormtroopers could never hit the heros (cuz they are really super heros).
Savage Buckeye!

User avatar
Zadmar
Legendary
Posts: 3071
Age: 41
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:59 am
Location: Munich
Contact:

Re: SPC vs. Core

#6 Postby Zadmar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 am

amerigoV wrote:So here is my question, what is the spread between the core rules and SPC? If I have a 0xp SPC character, what is the equivalent Deluxe character (+20xp?)

I don't recommend mixing them in actual play, and would instead use Clint's solution. But as a purely academic exercise, I would balance them as follows:

Zadmar wrote:Using normal characters in a NE campaign

You begin with 11 free advances during character creation, or 15 if the Super Karma setting rule is being used. When you're awarded experience points, the number you receive is always doubled (so you'll have twice as many advances at the supers, and gain ranks twice as fast).

I consider 1 PP to be similar in value to one advance - both can raise one attribute or two skills. Super Edge costs 2 PP, but it allows you to ignore restrictions (including rank), which makes it more valuable than a regular Edge (a Seasoned Edge as a racial ability costs the equivalent of 1½ advances, but Super Edge can be any rank).

An SPC combat character would still tear apart the core rules character in a fight, though, because they'd have access to highly specialised abilities.

User avatar
Virgobrown72
Heroic
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: The other side of the Sun, baby!!!

#7 Postby Virgobrown72 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I've often considered how I would do a Star Wars game Savage Worlds stylee, and have come to the conclusion that oI would probably rock with the core rules, and make the AB Magic serve as the Force. I'd use the race creation rules for the various aliens, and just not wrestle with the balance issues trying to squeeze the SPC rules into core rules...
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

amerigoV
Heroic
Posts: 1167
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

#8 Postby amerigoV » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Virgobrown72 wrote:I've often considered how I would do a Star Wars game Savage Worlds stylee, and have come to the conclusion that oI would probably rock with the core rules, and make the AB Magic serve as the Force. I'd use the race creation rules for the various aliens, and just not wrestle with the balance issues trying to squeeze the SPC rules into core rules...


I've seen some conversions that do that -- I have never been satisified with them. The nice thing the SPC does is it makes many of these things automatic -- Deflection is perfect for Lightsaber defense/deflection -- you do not have to "activate" anything via a skill (although when I built them, I did put in the adjustment that requires you 'activate' the power via by having your Lightsaber out/on). Also things like Jump, Throw/Telekinesis were handled more smoothly.

If it ever got to the point of running a regular Star Wars game, would likely use Clint's suggestion - the other heros could be explain as just being untapped force users -- they are so good at what they do because they subconsioucly use the Force in those area (plus I like the Lair option for those that want a spaceship).
Savage Buckeye!

User avatar
VonDan
Legendary
Posts: 4059
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 am
Contact:

#9 Postby VonDan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:47 pm

I'll just leave this here for the moment

Image

User avatar
Sitting Duck
Legendary
Posts: 5370
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 6:47 am
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

#10 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 am

amerigoV wrote:
Clint wrote:Other "powers" they could take; Super Edge, Super Skill, Headquarters, Minions, Gifted, heck possibly even low levels of Parry, Deflect, or Toughness.

Anyway, an option to consider.


It certainly would explain why those crack Stormtroopers could never hit the heros (cuz they are really super heros).


It certainly doesn't help that they're all Extras and therefore don't get a Wild Die on their Shooting skill.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

newForumNewName
Heroic
Posts: 1799
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Broomfield, CO

#11 Postby newForumNewName » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Sitting Duck wrote:
amerigoV wrote:
Clint wrote:Other "powers" they could take; Super Edge, Super Skill, Headquarters, Minions, Gifted, heck possibly even low levels of Parry, Deflect, or Toughness.

Anyway, an option to consider.


It certainly would explain why those crack Stormtroopers could never hit the heros (cuz they are really super heros).


It certainly doesn't help that they're all Extras and therefore don't get a Wild Die on their Shooting skill.

Or it could be a movie with hyperbolic reality...
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH


Return to “SW Official Settings & Companions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest