Random Edges and Hindrances

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Random Edges and Hindrances

#1 Postby Utgardloki » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Sometimes I just get an idea for an edge or hindrance. For example, I might be watching TV, and get an idea.

Deadpan Excuse

Receptionist: Will you need any help with your band instruments?
Bob Newhart: No, we won't. We all play harmonicas.

You are able to deliver the most implausible lie, and yet people will believe you. If you can deadpan an implausible lie, you gain a +1 bonus to get people to believe it.

#2 Postby Erpegis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:34 am

That is more of a roleplaying bonus.

#3 Postby Utgardloki » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Erpegis wrote:That is more of a roleplaying bonus.

Not really. Normally, if someone tried a bluff like that, I'd be more likely to assign a penalty because there is no way people are going to believe that.

The difference between a Newhart bluff and a Buffy bluff is that a character can pull off a Newhart bluff.

Of course, if I'm going to play that way, I should also add to the edge the rule "you ignore penalties from moderately implausible bluffs, and get a +1 bonus."

#4 Postby Thunderforge » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 am

It wouldn't work for every setting, but for a more lighthearted setting it could work.
Wild Card Creator: Any PDF, Any Setting, No Extra Cost.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.

#5 Postby Jux » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:22 am

Bill Clinton: "I did not have sex with that woman".
Worked for him :D

#6 Postby Thrallking » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:29 pm

I know its late, but I wanted to weigh in on this topic with the fact that (IRL) I tend to be very deadpan. It is simply hilarious (to me, anyway) how I can say the most ridiculous things and people BELIEVE them!!! Recently, a co-worker and I chased a baby birdling out of the shop (out of danger, hopefully) and it went into the gas storage area. As they often do, one of the storage tanks' safety release went off with a loud whistle, and my partner asked, "Is that the bird?" I replied, "Yes, they always do that before exploding.", as deadpan as ever. His reply? "Really? Wow!" It took him a few seconds to realize what was actually said.

Sooo.... not sure it really rates an Edge, but it definitely rates a bonus.
"If his armor is so good, why is he dead?"

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”