Bad weather makes for good gaming!!!

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Virgobrown72
Heroic

Bad weather makes for good gaming!!!

#1 Postby Virgobrown72 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 pm

This hurricane Sandy has the east coast fugazied, but if I'm shut in, I'm gaming!!!
"That which does not kill me, makes me Shaken..."

JCDenton28
Novice

#2 Postby JCDenton28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:09 am

You are so right!

Best thing about role playing is that you need no electricity.

Some of my favorite gaming moments are by candle light on a stormy night.

Takeda
Heroic

#3 Postby Takeda » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

JCDenton28 wrote:You are so right!

Best thing about role playing is that you need no electricity.

Some of my favorite gaming moments are by candle light on a stormy night.

I totally agree. Every time the power goes out (which is not uncommon for some reson in our area) I want to flight candles and PLAY! :-D :-D :-D
Dean: "Ya' know she could be faking."
Sam: "Yeah, what do you wanna do, poke her with a stick?"
[Dean nods]
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#4 Postby Lord Karick » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 pm

We don't even play in the summer. I find it too distracting, plus I'd rather be outside adventuring myself.
JCDenton28 wrote:Best thing about role playing is that you need no electricity.

Actually, I'd be lost without my laptop. Almost all my gaming material is on there now.

JCDenton28
Novice

#5 Postby JCDenton28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Man, I remember roleplaying with my boy scout troop at night by the campfire, rolling dice in a small box. No rulebooks, just dice, memory and imagination.

Good times.

Admittedly, I like using a laptop, but I like the ease of books and memorization.

I am new to SW, but so far I love the ease of it's ad hoc system.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#6 Postby Sitting Duck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:21 am

Takeda wrote:Every time the power goes out (which is not uncommon for some reson in our area) I want to flight candles and PLAY! :-D :-D :-D

Flying candles sounds pretty dangerous. :P
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#7 Postby Sean-Khan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 am

Lord Karick wrote:
JCDenton28 wrote:Best thing about role playing is that you need no electricity.

Actually, I'd be lost without my laptop. Almost all my gaming material is on there now.

I would also have been before, when I played D&D :twisted:

VonDan
Legendary

#8 Postby VonDan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm

And bad weather, no power and boardom/excitment means in 9 months a bunch of babies named Sandy

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#9 Postby Lord Karick » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Sean-Khan wrote:I would also have been before, when I played D&D :twisted:

Normally yes, but I've recently discovered MS OneNote and I'm finding it invaluable for keeping everything at my fingertips. Normally I'm not a big corp fan, but in this case... I can create documents with links to rules text, maps, character info. It's really upped my GMing game.

tigerguy786
Veteran

#10 Postby tigerguy786 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 am

Lord Karick wrote:

Normally yes, but I've recently discovered MS OneNote and I'm finding it invaluable for keeping everything at my fingertips. Normally I'm not a big corp fan, but in this case... I can create documents with links to rules text, maps, character info. It's really upped my GMing game.

I can't imagine trying to GM without OneNote. It's so helpful for keeping track of EVERYTHING, including all of the "Someday" game ideas I have.
"Well, you do know what those who underestimate tigers always say right?"
"What?"
"They scream, 'Oh god help me I'm being mauled to death by a tiger.'"

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#11 Postby Sean-Khan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:14 am

tigerguy786 wrote:
Lord Karick wrote:

I can't imagine trying to GM without OneNote. It's so helpful for keeping track of EVERYTHING, including all of the "Someday" game ideas I have.

Well I'm using evernote too for notes but I'm trying not to be too dependent on it... I think the best way to manage a campaign plans is to scetch the main structure on a paper to get the big picture, although I prefer to have details on the computer.

But the difference between SW and D&D(4e) when it to comes to computers is that I could easily prepare and run a session of Savage Worlds even without my electric notes, but for D&D, I REALLY couldn't do without the computer - which I hated as I use computers way too much outside gaming.

tigerguy786
Veteran

#12 Postby tigerguy786 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:44 pm

Sean-Khan wrote:
tigerguy786 wrote:
Lord Karick wrote:

Well I'm using evernote too for notes but I'm trying not to be too dependent on it... I think the best way to manage a campaign plans is to scetch the main structure on a paper to get the big picture, although I prefer to have details on the computer.

But the difference between SW and D&D(4e) when it to comes to computers is that I could easily prepare and run a session of Savage Worlds even without my electric notes, but for D&D, I REALLY couldn't do without the computer - which I hated as I use computers way too much outside gaming.

I could run SW without the computer if I had more physical books.
"Well, you do know what those who underestimate tigers always say right?"

"What?"

"They scream, 'Oh god help me I'm being mauled to death by a tiger.'"

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#13 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

I once ran a non-arcane core rules session without the book. :oops: Bloody awkward when I forgot it.
I have learned that my players need my books a lot more than I do. They're useful reference, especially when I'm using an established critter or spell, but they aren't really essential for myself. Of course, then I misremember or forget something and have to dig them out again. :lol:

I find that I like putting all my session notes, including critters, into a word document and then printing a hard copy of that for use at the table. Creating the document forces me to cover everything again, including how things work and what they can do. Then having hard copy lets me scribble notes as things come up during the session.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#14 Postby Sitting Duck » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 am

On a sort of related note, our local paper had a somewhat tongue-in-cheek editorial this morning about how hurricanes have such namby-pamby names and they need some punching up. Among the sources of inspiration suggested were the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Certainly a Hurricane Cthulhu or Hurricane Nyarlathotep would send them running to the evacuation centers.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.

Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com

The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”