Necessary Evil: 1880 Edition

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

The One
Heroic

Necessary Evil: 1880 Edition

#1 Postby The One » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 pm

So, my gaming group is coming up to a switch over point again, and I'm back in the GM's seat. I'd have liked to have run Rippers, but several of my group aren't keen on the horror genre, and have a penchant for super heros.

With that in mind, I thought I'd combine the two, and run the typical Necessary Evil plot point campaign, set to a backdrop of Victorian England.

The premise being that HG Wells was in fact, a super-powered prophet (yes I had to move War of the World's publication up a few years), and aliens really did invade the Earth. Of course, they focused on the strongest government of the era, and set themselves up in jolly old London Town.

Mostly the setting will remain the same, heros have existed for a while, lead by Captain Britania, and the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Queen Victoria went missing in the raid, and the popular prime minster Disraeli has been replaced by Gladstone, patsy of the V'sori.

The special anti-super hero task force is heading up by Sherlock Holmes, pressured by threats against Watson, and with his drug habit held against him to keep him under control.

So, with all that in mind, what side-adventures would people recomend that I look into, to both highlight the world, and also keep in mind that this is a city under occupation?
Life: Past trends are not an indication of future performance

sirdrasco
Novice

#2 Postby sirdrasco » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Dr. Moriarty and his league of extraordinary villains.

Cultist raising old gods, the Horror companion.
"I say Mr. Chesterson, is that a giant ether squid following us?"
"Why yes it is Mrs. Monns."
"Well guess we should get ready to receive it."
"Blast I hate squid for dinner."
"But the cook has a new recipe.."

Utgardloki
Novice

#3 Postby Utgardloki » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:22 pm

One published adventure that I have that I've long thought could be adapted to the Victorian era. It was published for the Iron Kingdoms setting using Third Edition Dungeons and Dragons, but I can see it converted to a Savage Worlds Victorian setting easily enough. If you have the book, some of the events could easily be moved to exotic locations in Africa and Central America.

The basic idea is a young girl developing supernatural power and seeking to possess an ancient artifact of great power. This could work well as what initially seems like just random strange occurances turn out to be something that could have an impact on the entire world.

Jux
Seasoned

#4 Postby Jux » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:21 am

VonDan
Legendary

#5 Postby VonDan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:32 am

Try this idea I had in 1997

In my world setting the queen has had teams of secret agent chicks since the time William Of Stratford recruited Violet, Juliet, Ophelia and Lady Joan Falstaff to fight gal Fawkes and her plain to blow up parliament for executing her brother for trying to blow up parliament.

They always meet in a secret room under the black tower and in the 1800's a tunnel was made from tower hill under the river to southwark. (I have found out some one stole my idea for the tunnel and sent it back in time and made a real tunnel in the mid 1800's)

So in the late 1800's the team is

Another Lady Joan Falstaff; Near do well and con artist with her ear to the street
Allison Quartermain; Sharp Shooter and outdoor guide
Shecroft Holmes, Investigator with some contacts in the government
Sheba Kane; Occult hunter
Phyllis Fogg; Inventor (She created the steam powered exo frame for kids with polio that the military stole and made Steam Powered Iron Beef eaters)

Yes there are 4 Iron Beef eaters, Veteran sergeant missing two or more limbs encased in iron bodies with one Gatling fist and a giant punching first loyal to the Queen and would be very great full to Miss Fogg if they Knew

Oh and the Evil Professor Brutus and his shoe shine boy Benito in there hidden lair under the Roman Colosseum are kid napping the first daughters of the crown heads of Europe. They are being kept a live in giant bell jars in his secret lair
Last edited by VonDan on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

VonDan
Legendary

#6 Postby VonDan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:35 am

Jux wrote:http://www.getfrank.co.nz/uploads/lifestyle/fashion022210_-_Copy.jpg

I see your swim trunks and raise you this steam powered confabulation that should be in the chaise scene

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/FardierdeCugnot20050111.jpg/800px-FardierdeCugnot20050111.jpg

xiawarr
Novice

#7 Postby xiawarr » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 pm

You could always track down the Savage Worlds version of the Kerberos Club: superheroes in the Victorian Era. I believe you can find the PDF on both the Pinnacle Website and RPGNOW.com.

Snate56
Legendary

#8 Postby Snate56 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Will they still be playing villians?

SteveN
"And then the indians rode down upon us. They was Arapahoe, Comanche, Cheyenne..... They was only three of 'em, but Dang! They was mean!"

Vinzent
Heroic

#9 Postby Vinzent » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:42 pm

NM
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

The One
Heroic

#10 Postby The One » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Definitely still playing villains for this, much more enjoyable to have to fight down the might of the joint Empires (both Vsor'i and British)

Kerberos Club looks very interesting, though I shall see how the first few adventures go, as this group tends to be a bit flighty
Life: Past trends are not an indication of future performance

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

#11 Postby Jordan Peacock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Sounds like fun! I once ran a one-shot convention scenario loosely inspired by the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ... that is, just with the cool "Victorian characters as superheroes" factor, MINUS the "Mr. Hyde doing very nasty and most ungentlemanly things to the Invisible Man" factor. I called the scenario "HMS Thunder Child."

As I'm very miniatures-focused, I confess that the line-up was strongly influenced by what minis I had to hand. I made a paper model of a Martian tri-pod, based on a "classic" version of the design, and at the time I was on a "Pirates RPG" kick, so I used a later Pirates of the Spanish Main CCG steamboat design (one of those "pseudo-rare" mega-card models with the paddle-wheel design) to represent the HMS Thunder Child, a Pirates CCG Nautilus as (of course) the Nautilus, and some odd models for an airship and a few other things.

Pre-gen PCs included Adam (Frankenstein's Monster), Lota (a nearly-human Moreau hybrid -- admittedly inspired by "Island of Lost Souls" rather than any actual character from "The Island of Dr. Moreau"), Robur (inventor and pilot of an airship -- though not as grand as in Jules Vernes's "Robur the Conqueror"), Prince Dakkar (son of Captain Nemo of "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "The Mysterious Island"), Dr. Jekyll (here a master chemist with a variety of useful concoctions), and a few others.

There wasn't much of a "plot" to the scenario at all -- just one large battle largely held at "naval" miniatures scale, with the occasional mini-map blow-out when the action took place atop a Martian tri-pod. It was basically a case of alien tripods entering a harbor, the heroes trying to cover the escape of some ships ferrying refugees, and all sorts of mayhem, a large part of it ending up in using poor Adam as a projectile to LAUNCH at one tripod or another to start tearing it apart with his super-strength, Dakkar tripping up tri-pods by attacking their legs from under water, Robur getting shot out of the sky pretty early on (and yet still managing to hitch a ride to cause further mayhem), and so on.

It was horribly balanced, and relied a great deal on GM hand-waving and spot-rulings, but still a bit of over-the-top crazy fun. :D (Probably too over-the-top to go from there into a proper campaign, though.)

VonDan
Legendary

#12 Postby VonDan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:24 pm

When i invented the concept of Victorian super hero team in 1997 other characters in the world are

Commander Nema, Captain Nemo's daughter and her rebuilt sub the Naughty Lass

Hydee, dr jekyll's daughter with one of the ladies in the brothel and raised by Mary Riley.

RevTurkey
Novice

#13 Postby RevTurkey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Golden Heroes (Games Workshop)

Queen Victoria & The Holy Grail (1985)

:D

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”