Fantasy Companion Reprint Release Date?

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

gr3yh47
Novice

Fantasy Companion Reprint Release Date?

#1 Postby gr3yh47 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:07 am

Hey guys. Just got into savage worlds and I love it.
I've spent a total of around 8-10 hours scouring the net for the out of print fantasy companion to no avail. I really prefer physical to PDF

I saw a post from Shane in April that says you guys would be reprinting it soon. Just wondering if you have a date range in mind.

thanks so much for making such an amazing game

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

One of the frustrating / satisfying things about dealing the PEG is that they don't give us dates.

"Hey guys! You remember that Horror Companion we've been teasing you with for three and half years? The .pdf went up for sale two hours ago and you can pre-order the physical book, which should arrive in November. Enjoy."
They don't give us many dates, but the ones they give are usually "right now" and are about as certain as anything in life can be.

But who knows? Maybe one of them will actually give you an estimate. They're willy like that. :lol:

P.S. Welcome to the forums and to Savage Worlds.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

gr3yh47
Novice

#3 Postby gr3yh47 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:24 pm

I hope they do give a date, or release it RIGHT NOW so they can PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY lol.

I guess we'll see, thanks for the heads up not to get my hopes up (edit: although it's already too late, since the post from April made me hope it will be out really soon)

jpk
Legendary

#4 Postby jpk » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 pm

This is more information than I'm generally comfortably giving out, but you can probably expect to have an answer within the next month as to when it might be available.

Will it be a "oh, that was available ten minutes ago" sort of answer? Probably not.

Gah. I feel so committed.
Joel Kinstle
Pinnacle Entertainment, www.peginc.com

Lord Stone
Seasoned

#5 Postby Lord Stone » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:14 pm

This is relevant to my interests as well XD

K.G. Carlson
Novice

#6 Postby K.G. Carlson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:57 pm

:blam:

Well, its a good thing I've started my Deadlands campaign so I can wait another month :)

I like having pdf AND print, but searching pdfs during the game is not my preferred method of tracking down those pesky magic item tables.

So the news that I might be able to get my mitts on a hardcopy of the Fantasy book before I run SW Fantasy again is awesome.

*fingers crossed*

Jeffrywith1e
Seasoned

#7 Postby Jeffrywith1e » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:02 pm

has it been established if that would be a strait reprint, or a Deluxe Update along with the reprint?

Cryonic
Heroic

#8 Postby Cryonic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm

PEG doesn't really answer questions like these with anything like a straight answer for a good reason.

K.G. Carlson
Novice

#9 Postby K.G. Carlson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:11 am

Jeffrywith1e wrote:has it been established if that would be a strait reprint, or a Deluxe Update along with the reprint?

What I really like about the Deluxe version is that I am at a loss to see how the changes made in the core rulebook have any effect on the support books.

The major changes were the way damage is handled, the chase rules and...I know I'm overlooking something. But anyway, the changes all seem to be internal to the flow of the core rules. There are no real changes to game mechanics that ripple outward, say for instance the difference in monster stats from D&D 2nd - 3rd -4th edition. The Fantasy Companion seems to be plug and play with either the Explorers or the Deluxe rules.

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#10 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:25 am

K.G. Carlson wrote:
Jeffrywith1e wrote:has it been established if that would be a strait reprint, or a Deluxe Update along with the reprint?

What I really like about the Deluxe version is that I am at a loss to see how the changes made in the core rulebook have any effect on the support books.

The major changes were the way damage is handled, the chase rules and...I know I'm overlooking something. But anyway, the changes all seem to be internal to the flow of the core rules. There are no real changes to game mechanics that ripple outward, say for instance the difference in monster stats from D&D 2nd - 3rd -4th edition. The Fantasy Companion seems to be plug and play with either the Explorers or the Deluxe rules.

Some of the powers have changed. Considering almost all of the new powers have been included in SWD, I'd like to see that section replaced with new material and possibly the old magic item creation Edges and cost table.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#11 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:22 am

jpk wrote:Gah. I feel so committed.

This is what happens when you use an objective unit of time measurement. Next time, you could replace month with Glorbaks, or another nonsense word. :-D :lol: It might be perceived as less customer-friendly though.

Jeffrywith1e wrote: a Deluxe Update along with the reprint?

K.G.C. is essentially correct. The majority of the book is as useful for Deluxe (or Deluxe: Explorer's Edition) as it was for Explorer's Edition. The races, magic items, siege rules, monster stats, and campaign advice are all just as relevant. The powers section is less relevant (most of the new powers were translated into Deluxe, but not all) but still useful for those things that weren't "new powers".
That said, the rumor is a deluxe update. Which fits with the usual Pinnacle quality - they may not put things out quickly, but their stuff is amazingly good.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

K.G. Carlson
Novice

#12 Postby K.G. Carlson » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm

On a related note, for those of us who purchased the pre-Deluxe Fantasy Companion pdf be able to get the updated pdf or will the new pdf require re-purchase?

Lord Lance
Heroic

#13 Postby Lord Lance » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 am

jpk wrote:This is more information than I'm generally comfortably giving out, but you can probably expect to have an answer within the next month as to when it might be available.

Please, fix those random tables :wink:
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ata#251152
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

jpk
Legendary

#14 Postby jpk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Lord Lance wrote:
jpk wrote:This is more information than I'm generally comfortably giving out, but you can probably expect to have an answer within the next month as to when it might be available.

Please, fix those random tables

Only because you asked so nicely, consider it done. ;-)
Joel Kinstle

jpk
Legendary

#15 Postby jpk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Oh, and you can expect to see the new printing 1Q2013.

:eek:

That's far, far more concrete information than I tend to be comfortable passing out, so additional questions will have to wait. I may be woozy, and might be best off with a nap of an indeterminate period.
Joel Kinstle

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#16 Postby Kristian Serrano » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:00 pm

jpk wrote:
Lord Lance wrote:

Please, fix those random tables

Only because you asked so nicely, consider it done. ;-)

Any chance we can get the updated PDF sooner? I'd like to update the Loot Generator according to the adjusted tables.

Preatori0us
Veteran

#17 Postby Preatori0us » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 pm

I love your answers. I try to use them at work whenever possible. It's fun to watch people's faces.
I'll be in my bunk.

jpk
Legendary

#18 Postby jpk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:36 pm

Preatori0us wrote:I love your answers. I try to use them at work whenever possible. It's fun to watch people's faces.

As much fun as "if I'm wrong on that, you must be an idiot to believe anything I say" is to provide as a response, I suggest against its overuse.

Preatori0us
Veteran

#19 Postby Preatori0us » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:02 pm

You're right, but I work with the public so sometimes I just can't help myself.
I'll be in my bunk.

AmbersKnight
Novice

#20 Postby AmbersKnight » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:37 am

I was given to understand that the fantasy Companion re-print would be out by end of january, which has come and gone and no book is out. I am hoping it wont be too much longer as I do want the Fantasy Companion I'm just not prepared to pay through the nose for it 2nd hand (there is even someone selling a copy for the ridiculous price of $999.99)

Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”