Yet another Star Wars/Dark Side idea

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

steelbrok
Veteran

Yet another Star Wars/Dark Side idea

#1 Postby steelbrok » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:28 am

Just having a ponder and this idea occurred to me.

Force users have a Dark Side Die, this starts at d4-2. Whenever a character does something that pleases the Dark side increase this die by one type (especially heinous acts can call for a rise of two levels (murder, deliberately leaving someone to die) or even three (outright genocide - blowing up or poisoning a planet)).

The referee can spend a benny to try and take control of a character, rolling the Dark Side die, opposed by the character’s Spirit. If successful the referee gains control for of the character for five combat rounds per success and raise (five minutes per success and raise if out of combat).

The referee uses the characters Dark Side die instead of a Wild Die.

The character may choose to Embrace the Dark Side and gain the Dark side die as a second Wild Die (using the best of the three results) but this results in an automatic increase in the Dark Side die at the end of the scene.

Takeda
Heroic

#2 Postby Takeda » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:58 am

Interesting idea.

You can certainly use something like this for any pervasively or corrupting influence ... like demons corrupting spell-casters, Dark Side, the forces of shadow in Middle Earth, Paradox, etc.
Dean: "Ya' know she could be faking."
Sam: "Yeah, what do you wanna do, poke her with a stick?"
[Dean nods]
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes

Sadric
Heroic

Re: Yet another Star Wars/Dark Side idea

#3 Postby Sadric » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am

steelbrok wrote:
The referee can spend a benny to try and take control of a character, rolling the Dark Side die, opposed by the character’s Spirit. If successful the referee gains control for of the character for five combat rounds per success and raise (five minutes per success and raise if out of combat).

The last sentence I dont understand. When does the referee use the Wild die?
Only when he try to wrestle controll of the character? This mean he would roll the dark side die two times?

Or only while he controlls the character.

Interesting idea. I really like it.

The problem with all this dark side thing is that its allways didnt really work like in the movie. Even in the movie it wasnt satisfactory.
(Yes, Anakin has chopped of the arm of mace windu, but why does he knee down before Palpatine and call him master??!!) :-)

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#4 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 am

Sadric wrote:(Yes, Anakin has chopped of the arm of mace windu, but why does he knee down before Palpatine and call him master??!!) :-)

Because earlier Palpatine had suggested that he could teach Anakin the skills of Darth Plagius, who had found a way to transcend death. Obsessed as he was at finding a way to keep Padme alive, that started Anakin on his rapid fall to the Dark Side. When Mace was threatening to kill Palpatine, Anakin had a choice: help Mace kill Palpatine and thereby lose the chance to 'save' Padme, or help Palpatine and betray the Jedi. He chose... poorly... (to quote another, far better Lucas film)

It was meant to be a parallel to the choice he made in Return of the Jedi: let Luke die (and let the Jedi die with him), or kill Palpatine.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

steelbrok
Veteran

#5 Postby steelbrok » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Sadric wrote:
steelbrok wrote:

The last sentence I dont understand. When does the referee use the Wild die?
Only when he try to wrestle controll of the character? This mean he would roll the dark side die two times?

Or only while he controlls the character.

Sorry, that was unclear, I meant that while the referee controls the character he rolls the dark side die in lieu of the wild die.

The only time both wild and dark die would be used is when a character chooses to embrace the dark side
Last edited by steelbrok on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorBoson
Seasoned

#6 Postby DoctorBoson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:02 am

Though it is an interesting idea, I'm not sure I agree with gaining the second wild die at the level it's currently at... a free d12 wild die isn't exactly a small bonus.

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#7 Postby Lord Karick » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 am

Stolen for a general corruption concept.

steelbrok
Veteran

#8 Postby steelbrok » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:25 am

topsecret221 wrote:Though it is an interesting idea, I'm not sure I agree with gaining the second wild die at the level it's currently at... a free d12 wild die isn't exactly a small bonus.

It's meant to be seductive...

warrenss2
Heroic

#9 Postby warrenss2 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:55 am

I like this idea. I see that I'm going to have to buy a set of black dice with red numbers.

Like Takeda said. It can be used in a lot of different corrupting thing. Evil relics, black demon swords, etc...

It looks to be an easy method too.

>edited in< - Maybe start them off with NO Dark Force die? They receive the first d4-2 on their first act. Maybe the GM should keep this quiet... at least until he spends the bennie and tries to take over the character the first time. :twisted:
:blam:

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”