What Wil Wheton Thinks of Savage Worlds

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kythkyn
Seasoned

#21 Postby Kythkyn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am

TheLoremaster wrote:And if you really want to understand why Wesley Crusher is so popular with gamers, just go watch a couple episodes of TableTop. You'll be glad that you did.

I have. The question stand.
♀♥♀

Clint
Site Admin

#22 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:00 am

Kythkyn wrote:
TheLoremaster wrote:And if you really want to understand why Wesley Crusher is so popular with gamers, just go watch a couple episodes of TableTop. You'll be glad that you did.

I have. The question stand.

Then the answer is simply. Wesley Crusher isn't revered by gamers; Wil Wheaton is.

Personally, I wonder why there is still anyone who applies their distaste for a character to the actor that portrayed him. That's like blaming a printer because you didn't like a book you read instead of the author. :-?

Wil is an actor, husband, father, geek, and gamer who when he was a kid got a dream job to be on the new Star Trek. Then he got burned for the way his character was written and further burned when Gene Wesley Roddenberry passed away and the folks that took over buried the character and the actor with him.

So he's a gamer like us who gets a job any geek would die for but gets the shaft for how one producer uses the character and the next drops it like a hot potato. Does he take his "Hollywood money" and channel deserved bitterness into drugs, car accidents, hookers, and alcohol abuse? Nope, he grows up, gets married, writes a book about his experiences, and continues to game and promote gaming in a positive way.

Now if anyone wants to ask why Wil Wheaton is revered by gamers, I'd have to ask... why shouldn't he be?
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

greyseerco
Seasoned

#23 Postby greyseerco » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:20 am

So for the complaint about the exploding dice, and I am sure it has been suggested somewhere else before (I am too lazy to search), but why not house-rule any roll of a 6+ as a 6 and as exploding. (A d4 will still explode on the 4).

So if I roll a d8 and get a 7, that's equal to a 6 and I get to re-roll and add. Then roll another 6, well that's a 6 (so my total is a 12) and I get to re-roll and add. Finally get a 4, add that to my 12 for a total of 16.

This way the bigger die-type increases the odds of exploding dice but limits the number on them.

Anyway, I am sure its been suggested before, but it might alleviate the complaint.

Clint
Site Admin

#24 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am

greyseerco wrote:So for the complaint about the exploding dice, and I am sure it has been suggested somewhere else before (I am too lazy to search), but why not house-rule any roll of a 6+ as a 6 and as exploding. (A d4 will still explode on the 4).

So if I roll a d8 and get a 7, that's equal to a 6 and I get to re-roll and add. Then roll another 6, well that's a 6 (so my total is a 12) and I get to re-roll and add. Finally get a 4, add that to my 12 for a total of 16.

This way the bigger die-type increases the odds of exploding dice but limits the number on them.

Anyway, I am sure its been suggested before, but it might alleviate the complaint.

Possibly, but it would kind of break the system as a whole to "fix" something that's basically perceptual.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

JCDenton28
Novice

#25 Postby JCDenton28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:42 pm

He is also really fun to watch as the bad-guy hacker, Chaos, in the tv show Leverage.

Also does a great job as Sheldon's nemesis on Big Bang Theory where he plays himself.

Clint
Site Admin

#26 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:05 pm

JCDenton28 wrote:He is also really fun to watch as the bad-guy hacker, Chaos, in the tv show Leverage.

Created by another gamer, player of Savage Worlds, and a really nice guy! :cool:
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

JCDenton28
Novice

#27 Postby JCDenton28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:11 pm

That is a cool factoid.

The RPG vibe is strong in Leverage, and would be a really fun adventure setting. My wife and I love the show.

Zadmar
Legendary

#28 Postby Zadmar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:21 pm

Clint wrote:Personally, I wonder why there is still anyone who applies their distaste for a character to the actor that portrayed him.

It's pretty unfair, I agree, but it happens. Check out the "real life" section of Actor/Role Confusion for some amusing examples.

Vinzent
Heroic

#29 Postby Vinzent » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm

Reasons I like Wil Wheaton

a) Big Bang Theory
b) Eureka
c) His "behind the scenes" blogs about working on Star Trek
d) The D&D4e podcasts featuring Penny Arcade
e) I've met him and he's a great guy.
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

Thunderforge
Veteran

#30 Postby Thunderforge » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Regarding the complaint about exploding dice, I didn't realize it was still such a big misconception. Clint explained it very well once, but my search-fu is failing.

As I recall, his point was that higher dice were still better because you were more likely to succeed with a raise and you were less likely to get a critical failure. And besides that the 2% or so difference was still less than the 8% bias your set of Chessex dice has.
Wild Card Creator: Any PDF, Any Setting, No Extra Cost.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#31 Postby Sitting Duck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 am

Clint wrote:So he's a gamer like us who gets a job any geek would die for but gets the shaft for how one producer uses the character and the next drops it like a hot potato. Does he take his "Hollywood money" and channel deserved bitterness into drugs, car accidents, hookers, and alcohol abuse? Nope, he grows up, gets married, writes a book about his experiences, and continues to game and promote gaming in a positive way.

Now if anyone wants to ask why Wil Wheaton is revered by gamers, I'd have to ask... why shouldn't he be?

Certainly glad he didn't take the Different Strokes route. BTW what is the title of this book? I'm guessing it isn't I'm Not Wesley Crusher.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

newForumNewName
Heroic

#32 Postby newForumNewName » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 am

The Guild is where Wil Wheaton really, really shines. :cool:
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

newForumNewName
Heroic

#33 Postby newForumNewName » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am

And Twitter. He's pretty funny on Twitter.
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

Timon
Heroic

#34 Postby Timon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Thunderforge wrote:And besides that the 2% or so difference was still less than the 8% bias your set of Chessex dice has.

Speak for yourself - pure Game Science sharp-edged precision over here. :cool:
Biting! It's like kissing but there's a winner!
The Doctor's Wife

newForumNewName
Heroic

#35 Postby newForumNewName » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Timon wrote:
Thunderforge wrote:And besides that the 2% or so difference was still less than the 8% bias your set of Chessex dice has.

Daaaaaaaamn...

Those are nifty. I want.

DrJones72
Novice

#36 Postby DrJones72 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 am

scourger
Seasoned

#37 Postby scourger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Vinzent wrote:Reasons I like Wil Wheaton...d) The D&D4e podcasts featuring Penny Arcade...

Those are fun videos to watch. Almost made me want to play 4e, but definitely made me want to play something.

Hawker
Novice

#38 Postby Hawker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am

I think he's great in 'The Guild', 'Big Bang Theory' and 'A Town Called Eureka' but he was a horrible pain in Star Trek!

Overall I think he's just one of us.

Pfr_Fate
Seasoned

#39 Postby Pfr_Fate » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Timon wrote:

I think Wil Wheaton should play Lou Zocchi in the biopic "Edge of Probabilities".
The eternal struggle takes time, Max.

Cryonic
Heroic

#40 Postby Cryonic » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:56 am

Hawker wrote:I think he's great in 'The Guild', 'Big Bang Theory' and 'A Town Called Eureka' but he was a horrible pain in Star Trek!

Overall I think he's just one of us.

Wil wasn't a horrible pain in ST:TNG, Wesley Crusher was.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”