Wish List for "Stone and a Hard Place"

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#21 Postby The Stray » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm hoping for the chance to dig up some old bullets and off one of the Stones.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

User avatar
Edgeworth
Seasoned
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: Tampere, Finland

#22 Postby Edgeworth » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:22 am

StalkThis wrote:I just hope that the Hard Place is the other Stone.

:P


Although I've assumed that to be the case, it'd be kinda neat see Stone and "The Angel of Death" competing who's the real Death around.

By The Angel of Death, I of course mean

Garrett Black of Cult of the Lost Angels. Heck, there might even be two Stones and The Angel of Death in the same book!

Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:11 pm

#23 Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm surprised that, after Cutter mentioned the possibility of going to Washington DC, no one here has made a "Mister Stone Goes to Washington" joke.

User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#24 Postby The Stray » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:28 am

More fun stuff for New Mexico:

* Hoodoo Brown and the Dodge City Gang. This gang of ne'er-do-wells robbed stagecoaches and trains and basically took over the town of Las Vegas, New Mexico for about a year after Hoodoo Brown became the mayor and coroner (and thus able to rule all the killings his gang did as "inflicted in self defense"). This is the prefect real-life example of the "outlaws run the town" scenario as could be wished, and is a perfect set-up for a Savage Tale.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

User avatar
otherdoc
Seasoned
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

#25 Postby otherdoc » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 am

The Stray wrote:* Hoodoo Brown and the Dodge City Gang. This gang of ne'er-do-wells robbed stagecoaches and trains and basically took over the town of Las Vegas, New Mexico for about a year after Hoodoo Brown became the mayor and coroner (and thus able to rule all the killings his gang did as "inflicted in self defense"). This is the prefect real-life example of the "outlaws run the town" scenario as could be wished, and is a perfect set-up for a Savage Tale.

The cool thing about these guys is that they exemplify the way that there was practically no line between "white hats" and "black hats" in those days. Members of the Dodge City Gang like John Webb and Dave Mather actually worked alongside Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the others to keep the peace in and around Kansas, but then also committed plenty of crimes. In many ways, when it came to lawmen, it was often a case of whoever could be the biggest bully getting to be the one in charge, whether for good or ill.

(One of my favorite stories is of Wyatt Earp and Mysterious Dave Mather going to Mobeetie, Texas and concocting a scheme to sell phony gold bricks supposedly from the time of the conquistadors, then immediately getting run out of town by Jim McIntire).
My Blog: Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
My Setting Creation Podcast: Crucible of Realms
My RPG Podcast: The Great Debate!

Thunderforge
Veteran
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:13 am

#26 Postby Thunderforge » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:28 pm

The Stray wrote:I'm hoping for the chance to dig up some old bullets and off one of the Stones.

Same here. Gives the plot point campaign a very satisfying conclusion and fits right in with continuity having only one of them around by the Hell on Earth era.
Wild Card Creator: Any PDF, Any Setting, No Extra Cost.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.

RJack
Seasoned
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm
Location: Mad Zone, Wiskaton

#27 Postby RJack » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:44 pm

The Stray wrote:More fun stuff for New Mexico:

* Hoodoo Brown and the Dodge City Gang. This gang of ne'er-do-wells robbed stagecoaches and trains and basically took over the town of Las Vegas, New Mexico for about a year after Hoodoo Brown became the mayor and coroner (and thus able to rule all the killings his gang did as "inflicted in self defense"). This is the prefect real-life example of the "outlaws run the town" scenario as could be wished, and is a perfect set-up for a Savage Tale.


Especially since Hoodoo Brown and Dave Rudabaugh have already been introduced in Deadlands (Law Dogs), with connections to La Croix (again).

otherdoc wrote:The cool thing about these guys is that they exemplify the way that there was practically no line between "white hats" and "black hats" in those days. Members of the Dodge City Gang like John Webb and Dave Mather actually worked alongside Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the others to keep the peace in and around Kansas, but then also committed plenty of crimes. In many ways, when it came to lawmen, it was often a case of whoever could be the biggest bully getting to be the one in charge, whether for good or ill.


Oh, no doubt. Deadlands casts the Earps as the "good guys" and the Clantons as the "bad guys", when really they were much closer together in motivation. The Earps had already earned a reputation in Dodge as "The Fighting Pimps" for their support of houses of prostitution and predilection for beatings. They basically went further West to make more money in another boom town (historically Dodge was winding down after 1878). The Clantons were mostly in opposition because they had supported the previous town marshal, and opposed Marshal White politically. I guess casting the OK Corral shootout as "two groups of self-interested guys mostly motivated by greed" doesn't have the same epic feel to it.

One thing I've enjoyed doing in my campaigns is playing around with the hero/villain settings for different historical figures. Wyatt Earp, crime lord, and Curly Bill Brocius, vampire hunter, have both appeared in my games.

User avatar
El Diablo
Seasoned
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:51 pm

#28 Postby El Diablo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Stone being a hero killer, he will probably kill the official heroes of the story (the Earps). Here come the PC as the replacement heroes to fill the void and fight the Clantons, and giving to the players the opportunity to live with their caracters the battle of OK Corral.

McCurmudgeon
Novice
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:06 pm

#29 Postby McCurmudgeon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 pm

Haven't been on the forum in a while and was very happy to see that this exist.

Cutter XXIII wrote: Hank Ketchum makes a... err... cameo. :twisted:

Initial reaction. "Oh No They've Killed Ketchum" He's always been my favorite NPC. It's probably because he's a cowboy pirate and beats ALL the ninjas (theres a funny story)

Thunderforge wrote:
The Stray wrote:I'm hoping for the chance to dig up some old bullets and off one of the Stones.

Same here. Gives the plot point campaign a very satisfying conclusion and fits right in with continuity having only one of them around by the Hell on Earth era.

But then where will you get a Stone for Lost Colony? :wink:

I'm guessing "Stone and a Hard Place" is coming before the Hellstromme PP?

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 7553
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

#30 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 am

McCurmudgeon wrote:I'm guessing "Stone and a Hard Place" is coming before the Hellstromme PP?

Correct.
They haven't told us what the title of that one will be.

User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#31 Postby The Stray » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:26 pm

More requests!

The Anahuacs: I've been reading Lost Angels, and came across this very interesting take on mestizo culture. The poor Anahuacs got passed over in both The Flood AND Trail Guide: South o' The Border, so it would be nice to get a nod (at least ot know if we should consider them Blessed or Shamans, and what rules changes might need to be made to accommodate them).

Montezuma's Well, Montezuma's Castle: Both of these are significant Native American sites. The Well would be a perfect protal to the hunting Grounds, and Montezuma's Castle already got a nod in Last Sons and would be an interesting place for a party to stumble upon.

Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater: These locales could be significant and fun to explore, and it would be nice to see them mentioned. Heck, Meteor Crater was once known as Canyon Diablo, and I know that could make for a fun Savage Tale just on the name alone.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#32 Postby The Stray » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:19 pm

"Texas" John Slaughter has a name and history that just seems right for getting the Deadlands touch, given he's a Texas Ranger and has an awesome name.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

User avatar
Cutter XXIII
Legendary
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:08 am
Location: Village of Rock, MD

#33 Postby Cutter XXIII » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 pm

The Stray wrote:The Anahuacs: I've been reading Lost Angels, and came across this very interesting take on mestizo culture. The poor Anahuacs got passed over in both The Flood AND Trail Guide: South o' The Border, so it would be nice to get a nod (at least ot know if we should consider them Blessed or Shamans, and what rules changes might need to be made to accommodate them).

Won't be seeing them again. Sorry.

But thanks for the continuing suggestions; it's inspiring as I get into the meat of the writing... :wink:
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#34 Postby The Stray » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Aw, well.

It's good to know that the suggestions are proving fruitful!

Arizona has a ton of Ghost Towns. Mining was really big here in the late 19th/early 20th century. Copper, silver, and gold mines were very big in the mountains of central AZ. We have places like Jerome, Gold Road, Bisbee, Bumble Bee, and scores more.

Also, there's a lot of places compared to Hell in Arizona. There's Devil's Canyon, Hell's Canyon, the afore mentioned Canyon Diablo crater, Skull Valley...tons of places.

There's the Four Sacred Mountains of the Najavo nations, and Canyon De Chelly (which I think got a write-up in a Classic book).

I wish I knew more about New Mexico, Texas, Nevada, or Louisiana, but I know tons and tons about my home state, and I'm happy to provide ideas.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

MagusRogue
Seasoned
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:48 pm

#35 Postby MagusRogue » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

You know what? What, with Deadlands Noir now almost out, maybe some stuff about how New Orleans circa 1880 is would be awesome?
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#36 Postby The Stray » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:15 am

MagusRogue wrote:You know what? What, with Deadlands Noir now almost out, maybe some stuff about how New Orleans circa 1880 is would be awesome?


That WOULD be awesome...heck, a Trail Guide - Bloody Ol' Muddy would be a product I'd be into buying.

Another thought...The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine might be something fun to play with...
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

User avatar
The Stray
Seasoned
Posts: 259
Age: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

#37 Postby The Stray » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Thinking about New Mexico, aside from what's already been mentioned...

White Sands is a visually interesting place...a desert of gypsum crystals south of Alamagordo, where the first Atomic Tests were done. Perhaps someone is testing Ghostfire Bombs out there?

Clayton Lake has a ton of fossilized dinosaur footprints. Could be interesting to deal with.

New Mexico has a ton of ancient pueblos left over from the Anasazi, which are important in Deadlands canon. The Taos Pueblo, located two miles north of Taos, New Mexico, is one of the oldest continuously occupied communities in the United States. People still live in some of its 900 year old buildings. Are there any of the Anasazi who are trying to resurrect their culture?

The Carlsbad Caverns are awesome and I'd like to mention them, even though they weren't discovered until the 20's in our world. Still, the caverns are awesome, one of nature's wonders.

I mentioned Hoodoo Brown before, but Las Vegas, New Mexico was established long before the one in Nevada and was called "more wicked than Dodge City."
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray

User avatar
Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 1:58 pm

#38 Postby Tinhorn Huckster » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Cutter XXIII wrote:Billy the Kid probably won't ever be a major Deadlands player. He's gotten his due in the Visionary comics, and might get more, but the fact is he's just not a particular fave of Shane's. And we go with Shane's likes and dislikes, 'cause he's the man.


Aw, that's too bad. I mean, I don't want Billy the Kid and the Regulators as major players - I'm allergic to metaplots ever since 7th Sea -, but I'd like to see them getting a proper Deadlands write-up.
Why, yes, indeed: I am rather proud of my skill at discourse - my rhetorics, if you will. It would be my great pleasure to broker peace between you good sirs and the Indians.
Incidentally, would any of you gentlemen lend me a deck?

User avatar
BrotherFlounder
Novice
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:41 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#39 Postby BrotherFlounder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Very excited about finally getting to see Tombstone in this one!

Any chance we might seen an update on New Orleans and/or the major huckster players (i.e. Enoch Shaw and Solomon Thayer & the Court)?

User avatar
velikch
Seasoned
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 am

#40 Postby velikch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 am

Any word on when this might get released? I've been itching to see Death's Domain and Pestilence's Domain hit the books so I can add them to my collection. :wink:
KYP - Know Your Players...and act accordingly (prepare for their worst, encourage their best)

...they took to it like Deadlands characters to Manitous...


Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests