Quick question on the "Skill rules"

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Niels Smed
Novice
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Quick question on the "Skill rules"

#1 Postby Niels Smed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:35 pm

So on my way to run my first 50 fathom game, a have a question on the savage world skill rules.

What happens, when a player wishes to use a skill that he doesnt have - or when he required to - say fx, a player wants to stealth by a guard, or the gm ask him to roll a stealth in order not to be noticed??


Do i call for a modified attribute roll? say agility -2, fx?
or are there specific rules concerning this, that i might have missed?

may thx :)

Cryonic
Heroic
Posts: 1005
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:00 am

Re: Quick question on the "Skill rules"

#2 Postby Cryonic » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Niels Smed wrote:So on my way to run my first 50 fathom game, a have a question on the savage world skill rules.

What happens, when a player wishes to use a skill that he doesnt have - or when he required to - say fx, a player wants to stealth by a guard, or the gm ask him to roll a stealth in order not to be noticed??


Do i call for a modified attribute roll? say agility -2, fx?
or are there specific rules concerning this, that i might have missed?

may thx :)


If the character lacks the skill, then they roll 1d4-2 and 1d6-2, take the better.

User avatar
Lord Lance
Heroic
Posts: 1563
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:00 am
Location: Vicenza, Italy

Re: Quick question on the "Skill rules"

#3 Postby Lord Lance » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:08 am

Cryonic wrote:If the character lacks the skill, then they roll 1d4-2 and 1d6-2, take the better.

This is correct: 1d4-2 for the "untrained" skill, and an extra "1d6-2" if the character is a Wildcard.

Now that I think about that, maybe it's true. I can't recall this rule in the core book.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

User avatar
Sitting Duck
Legendary
Posts: 5489
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 6:47 am
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

#4 Postby Sitting Duck » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:18 am

It's described in the Trait Tests section on page 70 of SWDEE under unskilled attempts.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 7061
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:24 am

Sitting Duck wrote:It's described in the Trait Tests section on page 70 of SWDEE under unskilled attempts.

Short version: modifiers are added after all dice are rolled out. Roll a d4 (plus wild die), reroll all aces, and choose the best die. Then subtract -2 for Untrained.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."


Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests