[Classic] Alternate character creation rules?

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

[Classic] Alternate character creation rules?

#1 Postby Tinhorn Huckster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 am

Hi there! It's me once again. :-) So, I was wondering if there were any alternate character creation rules that didn't involve luck of the draw? Preferably, one that was written by the original authors?
Why, yes, indeed: I am rather proud of my skill at discourse - my rhetorics, if you will. It would be my great pleasure to broker peace between you good sirs and the Indians.
Incidentally, would any of you gentlemen lend me a deck?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Not that I'm aware of.

What kind of rules are you looking for?
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#3 Postby Sitting Duck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 am

I do seem to recall someone came up with this table similar to the one for Shadowrun character creation where you select priorities to determine stuff like how much you can spend on skills and attributes. Don't know where it can be found though. Anyone?
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Sweeper
Seasoned

#4 Postby Sweeper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:39 am

The only thing that comes to mind would require you move to DL:Reloaded and the Savage Worlds ruleset which doesn't rely on luck of the draw for chargen.
I'm wise enough to know that I don't know half as much as I think I know. Y'know?

Waxahachie
Novice

#5 Postby Waxahachie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm

The system for character creation in Classic does unfortunately lend itself towards the potential for a party of new characters to vary very widely in how powerful they are, which may make adventuring hard to balance. I've somewhat been able to get around it by using a simple trick I picked up from a friend.

The player makes one draw, and if unsatisfied with it, makes another. If neither draw is satisfactory, the player may have the option to take a third draw with one caveat: the third draw must be kept.

So far, it's worked out pretty well for me, though it is by no means fool proof. I'm sure if you were so inclined, you could put together a point buy system of some sort or figure out your own modifications.

Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

#6 Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:20 pm

In some of the PbP games of DL:C I was in, the GM running things had a houserule that, if the player had a really crappy draw, a "Myrton the Sickly Accountant" type, he'd get a free redraw from the GM. By that matter, the GM had the right to make a player redraw if he "drew Clint", to keep players on a relatively even field.

I think there was some fan website that made a point-buy chargen system, but I can't seem to find it.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#7 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 pm

I did find one option. The array used for all of the character archetypes - it's the same array and could be used for all characters in the campaign.
2d12, 4d10, 2d10, 3d8, 1d8, 4d6, 3d6, 2d6, 2d6, 1d6. Not amazing, but not bad at all.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

#8 Postby Tinhorn Huckster » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:20 am

ValhallaGH wrote:I did find one option. The array used for all of the character archetypes - it's the same array and could be used for all characters in the campaign.
2d12, 4d10, 2d10, 3d8, 1d8, 4d6, 3d6, 2d6, 2d6, 1d6. Not amazing, but not bad at all.

Oh, good one! I'll see if my GM goes for it. Thanks a lot! :-)
Why, yes, indeed: I am rather proud of my skill at discourse - my rhetorics, if you will. It would be my great pleasure to broker peace between you good sirs and the Indians.

reemull
Seasoned

#9 Postby reemull » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm

There is Joe Wolf's method from the listserve many (many) moon ago.

http://www.gamerz.net/archives/deadlands@gamerz.net/200110/msg00163.html

Roy

Tinhorn Huckster
Seasoned

#10 Postby Tinhorn Huckster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 am

reemull wrote:There is Joe Wolf's method from the listserve many (many) moon ago.

Thanks! :-)

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”