[DL:R] Any armor but the S&R Vest?

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

operations
Seasoned

[DL:R] Any armor but the S&R Vest?

#1 Postby operations » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:49 pm

The character sheet has spots for armor, but there is none in the book except for the S&R Vest on page 51. I know armor was not really a thing in the Old West, but this is the Weird West.

Could the Duster be considered like Leather Armor? Or some of the Indian 'armors', for a simple +1?
~~KT~~

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:52 pm

They could.
Characters could even purchase medieval style armors and use those (though the Marshal will have to determine a cost). There are going to be social issues (lots of odd looks from townsfolk, suspicious guards and sheriffs wondering why you think you need that kind of protection, and a wealth of killers aiming for your limbs or noggin) but a character can do it.

But it's worth noting that just about every firearm has AP 1 or more. Heck, a common melee weapon (the bowie knife) has AP 1. Armor is great, but of very limited utility in the West, except when fighting monsters. :cool:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Ray
Veteran

#3 Postby Ray » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Any boilerplate around they can stick under their shirt?
"Grab a wackin' stick, boy! Time to learn these here undead some manners!" - Percy Spencer, to his Son, Kevin.

otherdoc
Seasoned

#4 Postby otherdoc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:24 pm

On the very first session of our campaign, after fighting a wallcrawler, the first thing the posse did was strip its hide and try to get a tanner in Dodge to make it into body armor. I shook my head and sadly mourned the D&D-ness of the situation, then went ahead and came up with stats for it. :lol:
My Blog: Jim - Yes, THAT Jim
My Setting Creation Podcast: Crucible of Realms
My RPG Podcast: The Great Debate!

Thunderforge
Veteran

#5 Postby Thunderforge » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Armor went out of favor historically because musket balls and bullets just pierced right through light armor and wearing heavy armor didn't justify the lessened protection against bullets. As VahallaGH noted, pistols and bowie knives have AP1 (goes straight through leather armor) and rifles have AP 2 (goes straight through chain mail). Thus the only way to get any armor protection from bullets is to either strap on 40 lbs of plate mail (not to mention find someone who sells it) for a measly +1 protection, or pay the big bucks for a Smith & Robbards vest.

Or just get your posse's Huckster to cast Armor on you. That works just as well and you don't have to add the weight!
Wild Card Creator: Any PDF, Any Setting, No Extra Cost.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#6 Postby Cutter XXIII » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 am

Lots of options for armor in the Smith & Robards 1880 Catalog.
Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

Crumbs
Novice

#7 Postby Crumbs » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:16 pm

There is an impenetrable vest for agency characters.

operations
Seasoned

#8 Postby operations » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Ray wrote:Any boilerplate around they can stick under their shirt?

Now that I think about it, I imagine that would have the same effect as a plate corslet. Not bad against a pistol, less useful against a rifle, and heavy.
~~KT~~

VonDan
Legendary

#9 Postby VonDan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:12 pm

In a few westerns I have seen there was an Indians wearing an old conquistador breast plate and they always have the nick name "Iron Belly'

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#10 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:14 am

operations wrote:

Now that I think about it, I imagine that would have the same effect as a plate corslet. Not bad against a pistol, less useful against a rifle, and heavy.

I'd submit that The Man With No Name took the time to find a piece that provided Heavy Armor - it was simply too thick for a normal bullet to overcome.

operations
Seasoned

#11 Postby operations » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:32 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
operations wrote:

I'd submit that The Man With No Name took the time to find a piece that provided Heavy Armor - it was simply too thick for a normal bullet to overcome.

This is very possible. But it would be very heavy. VERY HEAVY. Pretty much a guaranteed -2 minimum from the weight.

However, in that case, he wasn't planning on moving much. It was very clearly a trap.

So, in that case, something like Heavy Armor 1 or 2, with a weight of at least 60 pounds. Needs some other drawback though, or everyone would do it.
~~KT~~

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#12 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:24 pm

operations wrote:Needs some other drawback though, or everyone would do it.

Vitals only? Miguel always aimed for the Heart. :twisted:

Clint
Site Admin

#13 Postby Clint » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
operations wrote:Needs some other drawback though, or everyone would do it.

Vitals only? Miguel always aimed for the Heart. :twisted:

Yep, that's one of the reasons it worked. He figured out a quirk of his foes and used it to his advantage. He didn't have to carry a lot of weight, just enough to cover the heart.

And (if it wasn't mentioned) there is one other form of armor in Deadlands. Check the first special ability under Rattlers in the Marshal's book. ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”