Pro wrestling and the dark art of thread necromancy

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

thudthwacker
Novice

Pro wrestling and the dark art of thread necromancy

#1 Postby thudthwacker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:35 pm

I've been thinking vaguely about working on a pro wrestling conversion, with a focus on different wrestling styles being genuine (as opposed to theatrical) fighting styles. I see that there's a fairly old thread on that very topic (http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28913&sid=8451499012c0128d3f205902c3cf5ee5), but I'm not sure if thread necromancy is frowned upon hereabouts. I've never really understood why it was a problem, but I've seen people get yelled at on other forums for doing it.

VonDan
Legendary

#2 Postby VonDan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:55 pm

I put a little Lucha Libre themed adventure in this thread

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31040

Mot of the work by Jack Mann from my idea and editing and a few lines from others

thudthwacker
Novice

#3 Postby thudthwacker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Very neat adventure. I'm thinking about more in-depth treatment of the wrestling styles themselves, though. In the 2010 thread I linked to, there was a fighting style listed as an edge -- in that case, Martial Arts Style: Grappler, allowing throws and incapacitation. I like that way of doing it, and was thinking that wrestling styles could be done the same way. "Wrestling Style: Submission Expert" for incapacitating holds, "WS: Suplex Machine" for damaging throws, "WS: High Flyer" for acrobatic strikes, "WS: Brawler" for a more straightforward punch/kick/clothesline arsenal. Signature finishing moves could be ... Powers? Sadly, I'm incredibly new to Savage Worlds (as in, I've read the Test Drive rules and am going to try to run the Wild Hunt adventure some time soon), so I'm not really sure what SW mechanics make the most sense for different situations.

VonDan
Legendary

#4 Postby VonDan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

What you want to do is find something like Palladium's Ninjas and Superspies (Goodwill $1.99) that has 20 or 30 martial art classes which covers not just eastern martial arts but also American wrestling, boxing, savat, Greek wrestling etc and see how they did it then invent edges or archetype packs for each style

sharps54
Novice

#5 Postby sharps54 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:39 am

If for some reason you decide you need more info for a Lucha Libre game I think the definitive work of love is Lucha Libre Hero available from RPGNow. Yes, it uses the Hero System but it is a great source book for this underappreciated genre.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”