Product I'd Like: Critters and Villains of the Weird West

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

robert4818
Heroic

Product I'd Like: Critters and Villains of the Weird West

#1 Postby robert4818 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

:) Just something I'd like to see.

Compilation product containing all the potential foes of the Weird West, from adventures, trail guides, Last Sons, Flood, etc. Together in one book.

I don't even need NEW information, just an encyclopedia of things to throw at them, instead of all the diferent sources to go through.
Aperture Science:
We do what we must, because we can.

ogbendog
Legendary

#2 Postby ogbendog » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:09 pm

I think I'd drop villians, and add Rascals and Varmits.

robert4818
Heroic

#3 Postby robert4818 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:19 pm

ogbendog wrote:I think I'd drop villians, and add Rascals and Varmits.

Whatever they decide to title it is Their business. Otherwise, critters covers rascals and varmits. :)
Aperture Science:

Edgeworth
Seasoned

#4 Postby Edgeworth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:41 pm

I have kind of love-hate relationship with monster manuals. While they can be great for your creative juices to get flowing, they are usually just books with nothing else but monsters. Nothing really worth your money, since it doesn't matter if the Nosferatu should have d8 or d10 in strenght.

That said, I liked the monster book for Deadlands Classic (now what wasit called... for it had some rules for players. Animal Companions if memory serves. The second one was great too for those rules for vampirism and lycanthropy.

So if there were a RV&C Reloaded, I'd buy it if it had some new rules, gear and such.

robert4818
Heroic

#5 Postby robert4818 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Edgeworth wrote:I have kind of love-hate relationship with monster manuals. While they can be great for your creative juices to get flowing, they are usually just books with nothing else but monsters. Nothing really worth your money, since it doesn't matter if the Nosferatu should have d8 or d10 in strenght.

That said, I liked the monster book for Deadlands Classic (now what wasit called... for it had some rules for players. Animal Companions if memory serves. The second one was great too for those rules for vampirism and lycanthropy.

So if there were a RV&C Reloaded, I'd buy it if it had some new rules, gear and such.

Ideally, this would be an optional book. It would be nothing more than a re-packaging of other material, but in a handy reference version.
Aperture Science:

RJack
Seasoned

#6 Postby RJack » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Thing is, after they publish that, it would quickly get out of date as new adventures or plot points were published. You'd have to constantly remember which products were published prior to it, and which were published after.

Maybe if you had some kind of application like the Savage Outfitter or Wild Card Creator that let you import monster stats from any Savage Worlds pdf product, or something. Then you could constantly update it as new things were published. I guess you could use that to organize campaign elements from multiple product lines if you were making your campaign world, as well.

robert4818
Heroic

#7 Postby robert4818 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 pm

RJack wrote:Thing is, after they publish that, it would quickly get out of date as new adventures or plot points were published. You'd have to constantly remember which products were published prior to it, and which were published after.

Maybe if you had some kind of application like the Savage Outfitter or Wild Card Creator that let you import monster stats from any Savage Worlds pdf product, or something. Then you could constantly update it as new things were published. I guess you could use that to organize campaign elements from multiple product lines if you were making your campaign world, as well.

One option would be to go either PDF, or old school Binder Format. 1 thing per page.

As new stuff came out, new inserts were released.

But yeah, that is an issue.
Aperture Science:

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#8 Postby Sitting Duck » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:33 am

Edgeworth wrote:I have kind of love-hate relationship with monster manuals. While they can be great for your creative juices to get flowing, they are usually just books with nothing else but monsters. Nothing really worth your money, since it doesn't matter if the Nosferatu should have d8 or d10 in strenght.

Have you checked out the Solomon Kane Foes book? Not only does it provide creature profiles, but also a full adventure for each one as well as suggestions on how to otherwise employ them. It's a model I'd like to see in more monster manual-type releases.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

thudthwacker
Novice

#9 Postby thudthwacker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:54 am

Sitting Duck wrote:Have you checked out the Solomon Kane Foes book? Not only does it provide creature profiles, but also a full adventure for each one as well as suggestions on how to otherwise employ them. It's a model I'd like to see in more monster manual-type releases.

I was just looking at the Foes book and thinking the same thing -- at first I thought it was just a standard monster-manual/bestiary kind of book, and then I read the description. Definitely the kind of model I'd like to see more places. And in places where each enemy might not warrant an entire adventure (say, a book dedicated to jungle animals), a half-page entry that included a sample encounter would be awesome. I'd be much more inclined to buy that kind of supplement than the old "here are the stats, figure out what to do with it" style.

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#10 Postby Cutter XXIII » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:24 am

You guys should check out the Big List of Upcoming Pinnacle Products more often... :wink:

Thunderforge wrote:Deadlands: Monsters (working title)

Type: Explorer's Edition Supplement

Description: "You say you want new abominations? And you want Savage Tales for some of them, Foes of Kane-style? And you want a bunch of Classic monsters that never got reloaded? And you want John Goff to write 'em? Well... okay, amigo, but only for you." (Cutter)

Matthew Cutter
Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)
Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

thudthwacker
Novice

#11 Postby thudthwacker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Cutter XXIII wrote:You guys should check out the Big List of Upcoming Pinnacle Products more often... :wink:

As a rank newbie I shall ask this question with no (well, not much) embarrassment: where is that list? I see the "News" link on the main peginc.com site, but nothing about upcoming products.

thudthwacker
Novice

#12 Postby thudthwacker » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Aha -- you linked to the page. Duh. Is there a way to stickify that page so it stays at the top of the page?

Cutter XXIII
Legendary

#13 Postby Cutter XXIII » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Currently it's the top link in the Official Settings forum... see it here.
Matthew Cutter

Deadlands Big Bug (Brand Manager)

Pinnacle Entertainment Group, Inc.

Edgeworth
Seasoned

#14 Postby Edgeworth » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 am

Sitting Duck wrote:Have you checked out the Solomon Kane Foes book? Not only does it provide creature profiles, but also a full adventure for each one as well as suggestions on how to otherwise employ them. It's a model I'd like to see in more monster manual-type releases.

No, I haven't. That be awesome to have in Deadlands. Heck, in every setting ever!

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”