Jack of All Trades questions

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

obryn
Novice

Jack of All Trades questions

#1 Postby obryn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:04 pm

So our first session went splendidly. Thanks for your help! The car chase rules worked great, though my Tcho-Tchos failed nearly every. single. driving. roll. except one. And then they failed the "try not to fall into that road construction because you pulled a four of clubs" one. :)

Now I have a question about Jack of All Trades.

Does this basically mean the PC can use all Knowledge skills (law, science, zoology, south american architecture, etc.) as well as using a base-level d4 for stuff like Investigate, Notice, Tracking, Survival, Heal, and the like?

I get the difference between "not having a -2 penalty to untrained use" and "actually having a d4 in the skill" for advancement purposes and for assisting other characters, but I just want to verify!

-O[/i]

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Jack of All Trades questions

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:56 pm

obryn wrote:Now I have a question about Jack of All Trades.

Does this basically mean the PC can use all Knowledge skills (law, science, zoology, south american architecture, etc.) as well as using a base-level d4 for stuff like Investigate, Notice, Tracking, Survival, Heal, and the like?

I get the difference between "not having a -2 penalty to untrained use" and "actually having a d4 in the skill" for advancement purposes and for assisting other characters, but I just want to verify!

All aspects of Unskilled Attempts apply, which also includes the GM not allowing a roll at all if the character would not be trained in it. So unless the character's background reflects a knowledge of South American architecture, they likely won't get a roll (like any other unskilled character).

It would likely apply with the other skills, but even then there could be a difference based on specific use, such as between a Healing roll to bandage a wound and one to counter poison for instance.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”