Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kodyax
Veteran

#21 Postby Kodyax » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:05 pm

I don't support Steve Jackson Games at all.

jeff
Veteran

#22 Postby jeff » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Kodyax wrote:
Cryonic wrote:
Kodyax wrote:I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

The idea of making this a toolkit is worthwhile and I encourage this line of thinking. In some ways a GM like me already has some basic ideas of what they want and are just looking for some new ideas or some pre-fabricated toys to use in game.

If you're just wanting sources to mine for information (and not game stats) then look no further than SJG's GURPS. All those various sourcebooks are filled with tons of information just waiting to be used in any game system.

I'd rather converted the d20 Modern of Gamma World thank you very much, I turn to Savage Worlds for all my sci-fi needs.

Say wha?
The day mutant zombies rise in my town is the day I get to be a hero.

Kodyax
Veteran

#23 Postby Kodyax » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Basically when I want a universal system for my games there is only system worth considering for me: Savage Worlds

VonDan
Legendary

#24 Postby VonDan » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Kodyax wrote:Basically when I want a universal system for my games there is only system worth considering for me: Savage Worlds

The suggestion was to use GURPS books for setting, equipment. story and character ideas not to play the GURPS system

Jonah Hex
Veteran

#25 Postby Jonah Hex » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:19 am

Kodyax wrote:Basically when I want a universal system for my games there is only system worth considering for me: Savage Worlds

Well, no one has suggested using the system for anything.

Kodyax wrote:I don't support Steve Jackson Games at all.

Would you mind explaining why? In my experience, SJG has been one of the most consistently user-friendly game companies out there over the last 25 years, not to mention publishing among the best researched genre/setting books in the industry, especially the historical source books.

I get not wanting to use GURPS for your system needs; it's an acquired taste and I only use it for specific games, but taking a stand against the company itself, not to mention their excellent quality source books, that I don't get.
Playing GURPS Victorian Monster Hunters
Playing/running D&D 5e Encounters

Clint
Site Admin

#26 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 am

Jonah Hex wrote:
Kodyax wrote:I don't support Steve Jackson Games at all.

Would you mind explaining why? In my experience, SJG has been one of the most consistently user-friendly game companies out there over the last 25 years, not to mention publishing among the best researched genre/setting books in the industry, especially the historical source books.

I get not wanting to use GURPS for your system needs; it's an acquired taste and I only use it for specific games, but taking a stand against the company itself, not to mention their excellent quality source books, that I don't get.

It likely goes without saying, but "I'd rather not" is a perfectly acceptable answer in this case. Especially if it is a "hot topic" button for the person and they would rather say nothing than potentially end up violating the forum rules.

Not saying it is, just to respect to decision to answer or not answer regardless.

Thanks for putting up with my "window cleaning" reply. ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

VonDan
Legendary

#27 Postby VonDan » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm

I used to be ok about Steve Jackson games and then i bought Munchin Imposable at goodwill for $1 and one card was missing. I feel so used and cheated

Cryonic
Veteran

#28 Postby Cryonic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

VonDan wrote:I used to be ok about Steve Jackson games and then i bought Munchin Imposable at goodwill for $1 and one card was missing. I feel so used and cheated

I'm hoping this is a joke...

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#29 Postby SeeleyOne » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 pm

I found it humorous, at least if it was a joke. Even if it was serious it is still amusing.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Jonah Hex
Veteran

#30 Postby Jonah Hex » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:27 pm

Clint wrote:
It likely goes without saying, but "I'd rather not" is a perfectly acceptable answer in this case. Especially if it is a "hot topic" button for the person and they would rather say nothing than potentially end up violating the forum rules.

Granted; I'm just curious as to someone else's experience with SJG being so different from mine that they would not support them on general principle. I've found them to be pretty forthright and, as I said, there books can be quite informative no matter what system you play. I haven't played much GURPS in the last decade but I still make ample use of my library.

When their 4e core books had a shoddy print job and fell apart, they replaced them for free, including shipping without proof. That's why I have two. I don't see many other companies doing stuff like that, including Wizards with whom he clearly has no problem. Just saying.

And yes, I'm sure VonDan was joking.
Playing GURPS Victorian Monster Hunters

Playing/running D&D 5e Encounters

Vinzent
Heroic

#31 Postby Vinzent » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:24 pm

IMHO the only add-ons I would need for post-apocalyptic would be scavenging, improvised weapons and armor, and maybe a bestiary depending on the timeline.
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

Aki
Seasoned

#32 Postby Aki » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 am

So, should I prep an outline for fun over the weekend?

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”