[Rippers] Need GMing suggestions

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Dracones
Seasoned

#21 Postby Dracones » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:04 pm

sonofthunder wrote:Yes, we are (or should be). I will have to remind the group to do so. I have been giving out 3 each session, but we have 5 players, and 15 bennies seems excessive.

It wouldn't be excessive if you're hitting them with several hard fights.

I've found Savage Worlds to be pretty brutal. Incap rolls in particular are pretty messy. I ran a little app to calculate the results for various vigor dice:

Code: Select all

d4: Percentages: Okay: 27.1, Bleeding Out: 22.88, Dead: 50
d6: Percentages: Okay: 30.57, Bleeding Out: 24.97, Dead: 44.45
d8: Percentages: Okay: 37.52, Bleeding Out: 29.14, Dead: 33.33
d10: Percentages: Okay: 50, Bleeding Out: 23.31, Dead: 26.67

The -3 wound penalty on the vigor check is just brutal. On a d6 vigor your players should have a less than 1 in 3 chance of being okay. That's not counting using bennies, obviously.

In my last game after several months I think I only saw 2 incap rolls not counting the final night which was a total party wipeout. In my friend's current game he's limiting mooks to being only able to inflict 2 wounds because we found the existing damage in the game to be pretty nasty.

sonofthunder
Novice

#22 Postby sonofthunder » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Thank you for everyone's input. I had a good talk with my group, and was happily surprised that we were on the same page. We did talk about what they could do better as a group, and what I could do better as a GM.

Jonah Hex
Veteran

#23 Postby Jonah Hex » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:17 am

Dracones wrote:
I've found Savage Worlds to be pretty brutal. Incap rolls in particular are pretty messy.

Incap is the one rule I still use from SWEX since the new rules are so much more lethal. I may use the new ones for Suzerain since I want characters to die in that since they get better. And Cthulhu, since they don't. Thy're fine in settings where the heroes don't die, I guess, like pulp and supers.
Playing GURPS Victorian Monster Hunters (hiatus)
Playing/running D&D 5e Encounters
Running GURPS Deadlands (Last Sons)

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”