[50F] Incredibly Excited

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

zamboni
Novice

[50F] Incredibly Excited

#1 Postby zamboni » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:42 pm

I picked up the book for 50 Fathoms at Gencon and I am preparing to run the plot point for my kids. I have read most of the Captain's Log and I couldn't be more excited to run this. Seems that the plot point is perfect for the busy GM. I can't wait to see what kind of trouble we get into.

It seems so thorough and well written. I am really impressed!

Vonether
Veteran

#2 Postby Vonether » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 am

Probably the best bit of advice:
At the end of each session, always ask the group where they plan to sail to next. That way, you only have to read up on that particular port and related Savage Tales. Sometimes you might have to sketch out a map.

If you are feeling brave, read up on the whole island and see how you can sprinkle leads for each adventure.

I'd also read the overarching Plot Points and see if there are NPCs you can create/introduce early and have the PCs build a relationship with.

Otherwise, yep, 50F is tailor made for the GM with a busy schedule and great imagination.

samuraicrab
Seasoned

#3 Postby samuraicrab » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 am

Here is more advice. FORGET ABOUT CAROUSING AND CABIN FEVOR! Making kids go out drinking is a bad idea. Just let them skip over it entirely.

GranFalloon
Veteran

#4 Postby GranFalloon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 am

samuraicrab wrote:Making kids go out drinking is a bad idea.

Ooh... Whoops.

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#5 Postby TheLoremaster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:32 am

GranFalloon wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

Why? How else are you gonna get the little buggers to fall asleep? ;) ;D

But, seriously, folks: if your group is anything like mine, you'll probably have one hot-shot ship pilot with a high Boating Skill and all the Boating Edges. I don't think the Cabin Fever rules came up even once. They never went more than 3-4 days without making port somewhere, much less than the 30 days it takes to trigger Cabin Fever.

I wouldn't worry about it.
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Tavis
Heroic

#6 Postby Tavis » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am

TheLoremaster wrote:
GranFalloon wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

Why? How else are you gonna get the little buggers to fall asleep? ;) ;D

But, seriously, folks: if your group is anything like mine, you'll probably have one hot-shot ship pilot with a high Boating Skill and all the Boating Edges. I don't think the Cabin Fever rules came up even once. They never went more than 3-4 days without making port somewhere, much less than the 30 days it takes to trigger Cabin Fever.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Making port only counts if they carouse - if they just make port, then sail on without carousing the days towards Cabin Fever keep on counting up ...
Currently Playing:

SWD: Savage Mystara (GM)

SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

#7 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 am

And there are benefits to carousing that go beyond relieving cabin fever. If you spend a week carousing, you get a +1 to Streetwise checks while you're in that port (to a maximum of +2). When it comes time to sell unusual cargo, or ask around for information, that bonus could come in handy.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Vonether
Veteran

#8 Postby Vonether » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 am

GranFalloon wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

So some alternatives:
  • A "Trade House" where people go to meet to sell cargo and make deals.
  • If you make them work for the EIBC, then have them go to a tea house instead.
  • Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.
  • Make the warf district sound like one of those big truck stops. Sailors buy bric-brac, eat pancakes and play chess all day.
[/list]

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#9 Postby TheLoremaster » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am

Tavis wrote:Making port only counts if they carouse - if they just make port, then sail on without carousing the days towards Cabin Fever keep on counting up ...

I suppose you could read it that way; I think I might have interpreted that passage differently. In any case, I think it's safe enough to ignore that rule.

Another good question: how old are the kids we're talking about? I think 10+ should be savvy enough to understand what "carousing" is meant to emulate.
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Clint
Site Admin

#10 Postby Clint » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:49 am

Or change it from Cabin Fever to Canned Fever.

They only have pickled and other preserved food to eat on ship, and if they don't stop to eat fresh food, fruits, and vegetables, they will get weaker and weaker.

Throw in that lesson on the importance of eating right. ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

JackMann
Veteran

#11 Postby JackMann » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:06 am

Or just say that they go out and see the sights. The important thing is that they get off the ship, stretch out, and let loose a bit. Might need to change the carousing rules a bit, but not too much.

GranFalloon
Veteran

#12 Postby GranFalloon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Nah, they just blow 1d6 X 5 Pieces of Eight on bubblegum, candy and baseball cards.

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#13 Postby MagusRogue » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:12 am

... Kids still buy baseball cards these days? :1eek13: My experiences with kids have been Pokemon and MtG cards...
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#14 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:42 am

Vonether wrote:Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.

I don't know. IIRC coffee houses of that time period weren't exactly wholesome places.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

zamboni
Novice

#15 Postby zamboni » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for the advice. My kids are 10, 12, & 14 so we will certainly take carousing a different direction. I like the coffee house idea and I think that they would see going to a tavern to get food and drinks more like getting a burger and come as opposed to getting sloshed on ale and getting some "action".

Captain_Sabatini
Novice

#16 Postby Captain_Sabatini » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Sitting Duck wrote:
Vonether wrote:Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.

I don't know. IIRC coffee houses of that time period weren't exactly wholesome places.

Yeah, activities like insurance transactions.

velikch
Seasoned

#17 Postby velikch » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Vonether wrote:
GranFalloon wrote:

Ooh... Whoops.

So some alternatives:
  • A "Trade House" where people go to meet to sell cargo and make deals.
  • If you make them work for the EIBC, then have them go to a tea house instead.
  • Or send them to a Coffee Cafe and tell them it's like a Starbucks, though the mental image I have of a 50F Starbucks is amusing.
  • Make the warf district sound like one of those big truck stops. Sailors buy bric-brac, eat pancakes and play chess all day.
[/list]

Sorry, had to mention that half of this post can be summed up to scenes from Escape from Monkey Island for PC.

Starbuccaneers:

Pirates Playing (Insult) Chess:

My group is trying out 50 Fathoms for the first time (we're starting in about 2 months when we finish Rippers), but I think I may just offer my group a homebrew Monkey Island variant to follow the 50 Fathoms campaign I've already put together (they've already created 50 Fathoms characters, I've already written up much of the campaign, so I don't think anyone wants to ditch our 50 Fathoms game for something different).

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”