Getting ready to start a Deadlands camapaign

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

scottder
Novice

Getting ready to start a Deadlands camapaign

#1 Postby scottder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:10 am

So, after a long breaking in RPGs I have decided to start a new campaign/setting with a group of friends I uses to play with. We're all married with kids, time is limited but we still LOVE RPGs. I picked up Savage Worlds on the recommendation that it would be good for this very thing. I started looking at settings and Deadlands stuck out as one that could be fun and very different from anything our group has played (plus I though if we played non-Fantasy it would shake any 'this doesn't feel like D&D').

I have the core Deadlands books in hand or on the way, and next I am looking at a campaign setting, and that means The Last Sons or The Flood, are there decent breakdowns somewhere that I can look at and see which work for my group?

Scott

BrotherFlounder
Novice

#2 Postby BrotherFlounder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

I'm sure others will be along shortly with better suggestions, but I think you can make either one work for any group. They're both excellent campaigns, though they feel somewhat different. The Flood feels as though it's more based around exploring, while Last Sons seems based more around combat. (It makes sense within the context of both campaigns.)

Last Sons builds on things established in The Flood, but both are designed to be run for a new posse. I personally like The Flood a bit better, but I'm about to run Last Sons and there's a lot of fun things to work with.

For the last group I ran Deadlands with, though, I knew we were only gonna have time for a short 6-8 week campaign. Both The Flood and Last Sons are designed to be run over a longer period of time. I instead ran the posse through some of the Classic stories (Independence Day, Abracadabra and an Arab Cadaver and Night Train) and everyone had a blast.

steelbrok
Veteran

#3 Postby steelbrok » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:31 am

Or you could try Coffin Rock for a smaller campaign setting to start with. all the action takes place in one twon

Good luck with the campaign

scottder
Novice

#4 Postby scottder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 am

steelbrok wrote:Or you could try Coffin Rock for a smaller campaign setting to start with. all the action takes place in one twon

Hmm I wonder if I could segway from coffin rock into one of the bigger settings later. Will look into this.

Thanks
Scott

DHRDawg
Veteran

#5 Postby DHRDawg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 am

Coffin Rock is fantastic! I had a great time running that. In our game we started with The Flood and with just a few stages in (after they get to Shan Fan) I went into Coffin Rock (they got a message of help from a NPC that lived in Coffin Rock) then back on track with The Flood. But yeah, I really liked Coffin Rock. I like how it was kinda contained into one town.

BrotherFlounder
Novice

#6 Postby BrotherFlounder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 am

scottder wrote:
steelbrok wrote:Or you could try Coffin Rock for a smaller campaign setting to start with. all the action takes place in one twon

Hmm I wonder if I could segway from coffin rock into one of the bigger settings later. Will look into this.

Thanks
Scott

You could very easily move into the campaigns, as they both start with the party traveling.

Wibbs
Veteran

#7 Postby Wibbs » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm

Another point worth mentioning is that The Last Sons takes place after The Flood as written, and certain aspects of the story reflect that. It's not too much effort to tweak things so this isn't the case though if that's what you want to do.

scottder
Novice

#8 Postby scottder » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:44 am

Wibbs wrote:Another point worth mentioning is that The Last Sons takes place after The Flood as written, and certain aspects of the story reflect that. It's not too much effort to tweak things so this isn't the case though if that's what you want to do.

Ok, so I am thinking of warming up the group with some one sheets and going into coffin rock. If that works out well, I will move on to The Flood and Last Sons after that.

That should keep us busy for a while, can't wait to get started on this. Have all the core books to go over, then some of the bits and pieces I'll need to play.

Scott

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”