Of Powers and Trappings

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Volt875
Seasoned
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Of Powers and Trappings

#1 Postby Volt875 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello again Savage Worlds guys and gals. Ran a game last night and so back with more questions.
1) When you select a power for an arcane background do you select a trapping then and that's what that power looks like from then on out or can you change it every time you cast it? (Granted I allow them to change it every time they cast and that's the way I'm gona keep doing it, I'm just curious the official ruling.
2) With the bolt power firing multiple bolts it works like autofire as far as one wild die yes?
3) Can a power be taken as a trademark weapon? (As a side note where I do powers the way I do I plan to make them select one trapping for the trademark.)
4) The teleport power says it counts as movement. Does this mean I could teleport and then cast another power such as burst?

Again, thank you for your time.

P.S. cause I think it's cool :blam:

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19850
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: Of Powers and Trappings

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:45 pm

Volt875 wrote:1) When you select a power for an arcane background do you select a trapping then and that's what that power looks like from then on out or can you change it every time you cast it? (Granted I allow them to change it every time they cast and that's the way I'm gona keep doing it, I'm just curious the official ruling.


Well, "officially" it would depend on the setting. Most settings require choosing a specific trapping when a power is taken, but 50 Fathoms for instance has elemental trappings and characters can take an Edge to switch between two (or more) different elements if allowed to a power they have.

Typically though, it's one trapping or a "cost" (like an Edge) to use others; otherwise, arcane characters can have carte blanche access to the potential weaknesses of certain foes that other characters would not.

Volt875 wrote:2) With the bolt power firing multiple bolts it works like autofire as far as one wild die yes?


Yep. It's one action.

Volt875 wrote:3) Can a power be taken as a trademark weapon?


Not by the specific description of that Edge, but it could easily fall under Setting Rules to allow the Edge to apply to the attack roll portion of a power that has that function (again, not the casting result just the attack one).

Volt875 wrote:4) The teleport power says it counts as movement. Does this mean I could teleport and then cast another power such as burst?


Not unless the two powers were activated by different skills. Characters can't perform the same action in the same round even if one is a "normal" action and one is a free one. So if the character uses Spellcasting (for instance) in a round to teleport, he can't also use it to cast burst in the same round.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com


Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests