[1889] Is the PDF compatible with Deluxe Exporer Edition?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

bstripp
Novice

[1889] Is the PDF compatible with Deluxe Exporer Edition?

#1 Postby bstripp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 am

I recently became active in Savage Worlds and love the system. I have purchased the core rules, the fantasy and supers companion. However, at Gen Con I picked up the Leviathans game from Cayalyst. The Ships would be perfect for a Space 1889 game and I intend to run a campaign where the players are a captain of an Aether ship.

My question is this:
Is the Space 1889 PDF on the site compatible with the Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer Edition of the rules?

The site is not really clear as to what versions are for what, or what has changed. Any help in clarifying the matter would be wonderful.

newForumNewName
Heroic

#2 Postby newForumNewName » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:23 am

The great thing about Savage Worlds is that core rules can update without a real conflict with setting rules. You can really use any edition of the core rules with any of the settings.
"I had a whole bunch of advice for you but got ninja'd by newForumNewName. I'd just do what he says." -- 77IM

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#3 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:26 pm

There are a few differences in some Edges, like Martial Artist. But in those cases, the general rule is that Setting Rules trump Core Rules, so you'd use the Martial Arts Edge in the Space: 1889 book. Of course, you could always just choose which one you prefer, as it's your game and you can run it how you please.

Aside from that, no, there are no significant differences.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [1889] Is the PDF compatible with Deluxe Exporer Edition

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Welcome to the Savage Family. I hope you have as much fun as I have had.
:-D
bstripp wrote:The site is not really clear as to what versions are for what, or what has changed. Any help in clarifying the matter would be wonderful.

Savage Worlds editions, like real books and unlike other role playing games, have very small changes in the rules. Mostly PEG figures out how to say the same things with fewer pages, or changes rules that simply were not working correctly (too confusing, too slow, too frustrating, et cetera).

Even better, the Setting Rules are independent of the Core Rules. The Core changes but not a lot, while the setting stays the same and the setting rules are always relevant. When the Core changes, your Settings are still good, so you only need to buy a new Core Rules book to be completely up to date. :blam:

TL;DR: You're good.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”