Resolving order of play upon interruption by Hold action

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

andokean
Novice

Resolving order of play upon interruption by Hold action

#1 Postby andokean » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:43 am

I hope you can answer a core rules book question to me that stumped my playing group and me:

If a character makes a HOLD action, is he able to interrupt another character’s action if he has a higher value card than that character? Or can he act when that character acts, but only after that character has acted, regardless of the fact that he had a higher card?

Let’s say 2 characters, one an archer, the other a knight, are behind cover. The locations where they are hiding are placed 6 squares apart on the battle mat. The archer has his bow drawn, ready to shoot de knight when he sees him. The knight knows that the archer is near, suspects that he will be shot at when he emerges from cover, but is intent on hammering his enemy into the ground the moment he reaches him.

The archer has drawn a King, the knight a 5.

The archer takes a Hold action, waiting for the knight to emerge from cover so that he can shoot him. The knight decides to emerge from cover upon his action, intent on walking over to the archer and striking him down. The player of the archer declares that he acts at the same time when the knight character emerges.

Is the archer’s Shooting roll resolved first because he has a higher value card than the knight? Or is the knight’s action (walking over to the archer and rolling Fighting to kill him) first in spite of the fact that he has a lower card?

My group was divided on what was fair in the scenario described above. Nerdy arguing ensued. It was not a pretty sight.

Thanks for your answer.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Resolving order of play upon interruption by Hold action

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:41 pm

andokean wrote:I hope you can answer a core rules book question to me that stumped my playing group and me:

If a character makes a HOLD action, is he able to interrupt another character’s action if he has a higher value card than that character? Or can he act when that character acts, but only after that character has acted, regardless of the fact that he had a higher card?

Let’s say 2 characters, one an archer, the other a knight, are behind cover. The locations where they are hiding are placed 6 squares apart on the battle mat. The archer has his bow drawn, ready to shoot de knight when he sees him. The knight knows that the archer is near, suspects that he will be shot at when he emerges from cover, but is intent on hammering his enemy into the ground the moment he reaches him.

The archer has drawn a King, the knight a 5.

The archer takes a Hold action, waiting for the knight to emerge from cover so that he can shoot him. The knight decides to emerge from cover upon his action, intent on walking over to the archer and striking him down. The player of the archer declares that he acts at the same time when the knight character emerges.

Is the archer’s Shooting roll resolved first because he has a higher value card than the knight? Or is the knight’s action (walking over to the archer and rolling Fighting to kill him) first in spite of the fact that he has a lower card?

This is covered under Hold in the description of Interrupting Actions (pg. 65 of SWD or pg. 72 of SWDEX).

In short, they make Opposed Agility rolls to see if the person on Hold can interrupt before the other character finishes his action.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”