Help with Falling Skies?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Willis
Seasoned

Help with Falling Skies?

#1 Postby Willis » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:46 am

Hey all. I'm wanting to write up some setting material for a Savage Falling Skies game based on the TV show. Would anyone be interested in helping do that?

Willis
Seasoned

#2 Postby Willis » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Figured there might have been at least a little bit of interest in this.

cbadgr
Novice

#3 Postby cbadgr » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:18 pm

some interest just a lot of aliens to figure up plus the effects of having a harness besides becoming an NPC and harness removal.

The next question is the weapons that can affect am alien mecha are they considered heavy weapons?

Otherwise there's various things you can pull out of a number of ideas from any of the many post apocalyptic conversions. Fall of central government, at least two factions of aliens the overlords and skitter rebellion.

Darq666
Seasoned

#4 Postby Darq666 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Wills, I just discovered Falling Skies - I think it would be a great setting. Have you done anything with this?

OSIAdept
Legendary

#5 Postby OSIAdept » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 am

the mechs are rather heavily armored, though i dont think they have "heavy" armor.

Put the mechs as wearing battle suits from the corebook. This provides a +12 armor bonus, negating most small arms

mcbobbo
Novice

#6 Postby mcbobbo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:17 pm

OSIAdept wrote:the mechs are rather heavily armored, though i dont think they have "heavy" armor.

Put the mechs as wearing battle suits from the corebook. This provides a +12 armor bonus, negating most small arms

Heavy armor might actually work. Remember the episode where they figure out how to make bullets out of their armor? You're going to want to model that.

Cryonic
Heroic

#7 Postby Cryonic » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:28 pm

mcbobbo wrote:
OSIAdept wrote:the mechs are rather heavily armored, though i dont think they have "heavy" armor.

Heavy armor might actually work. Remember the episode where they figure out how to make bullets out of their armor? You're going to want to model that.

Except they are able to take out the mechs with "regular" firearms, like M16s/AR15s. So, even 1 point of Heavy Armor would prevent them from being taken down by any amount of small arms fire.

mcbobbo
Novice

#8 Postby mcbobbo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Cryonic wrote:Except they are able to take out the mechs with "regular" firearms, like M16s/AR15s. So, even 1 point of Heavy Armor would prevent them from being taken down by any amount of small arms fire.

Which means, to me, that using that metal for bullets makes them Heavy.

Cryonic
Heroic

#9 Postby Cryonic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:22 am

mcbobbo wrote:
Cryonic wrote:Except they are able to take out the mechs with "regular" firearms, like M16s/AR15s. So, even 1 point of Heavy Armor would prevent them from being taken down by any amount of small arms fire.

Which means, to me, that using that metal for bullets makes them Heavy.

No, it doesn't. They were doing it before they figured out how to use the mech's materials against it. It just took a crazy number of shots to get through the armor and damage it.

mcbobbo
Novice

#10 Postby mcbobbo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:58 am

You're right. I reacquainted myself with the rule, and heavy armor is immune to non-heavy damage sources. I must have mixed up my systems.

That said, you might consider robbing D6's scaling system: move the dice up and down based on scale mismatches.

As an aside, I am honestly a bit surprised to see the hard wall there in the rules. On the one hand, a pistol can never take out a tank because of rules fiat. On the other hand, the burliest brawniest bruiser could die in a fistfight with my grandma, because... You get the point.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#11 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Cryonic wrote:No, it doesn't. They were doing it before they figured out how to use the mech's materials against it. It just took a crazy number of shots to get through the armor and damage it.

So the new bullets have a ton of AP, allowing them to ignore most of the armor from the suit.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

OSIAdept
Legendary

#12 Postby OSIAdept » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Just give the mech rounds a 4-6 Ap rating

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”