Weird Science Hindrance

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sitting Duck
Legendary

Weird Science Hindrance

#1 Postby Sitting Duck » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 am

A while back, Clint suggested something like this as a trapping for the Weird Science Arcane Background. Thinking about it recently, I got the idea that maybe it would work better as a Hindrance.

Guinea Pig (major)
Must have Arcane Background (Weird Science)
You're just field testing these gadgets for someone else and don't fully grasp the principles behind how they work. You cannot take the Gadgeteer Edge and are -2 on Repair rolls when attempting to fix a Malfunction.

What do you think, sirs?
Last edited by Sitting Duck on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

kronovan
Heroic

#2 Postby kronovan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:52 pm

IMO it should be major at least on account of it preventing the use of an edge; only other hindrance that does that is Bad Luck and it's major. It's especially more severe when you consider that Gadgeteer is an edge a Weird Scientist PC can take from day 1, so that's potentially a lot of missed opportunities. Due to that, if I were to have it in my game, I'd allow it to alleviated over the course of a Weird Scientists career.

For a minor hindrance, just getting a -2 for repairing malfunctioned items almost sounds severe enough; I'd have to think about that some though.

Snate56
Legendary

#3 Postby Snate56 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:12 pm

How about periodically the current gadget gets taken away to be replaced by another?

SteveN
"And then the indians rode down upon us. They was Arapahoe, Comanche, Cheyenne..... They was only three of 'em, but Dang! They was mean!"

Clash957
Seasoned

#4 Postby Clash957 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

I like it. It allows a player to make a Rocketeer like character. He is an expert in using the crazy gizmos but doesn't much understand how it works. I have found it tough to emulate that guy that field tests crazy inventions or has these things invented for him. Instead, you get the cranky old inventor doing it himself. Fun but not always practical. Plus in some settings, it takes far more than one person and/or a LOT of time to invent these fantastic doohickeys. This Hindrance would solve it.

I also agree that it would be a Major Hindrance almost just of the loss of the Gadgeteer Edge. I would throw in the something about having contact the inventor(s) if the player wants to take any of the other Powers Edges (Power Points, New Power, etc.).
Playing: Nothing
Running: Looking to start a Savage Worlds game via Google+/Roll20.

ogbendog
Legendary

#5 Postby ogbendog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 pm

I could see letting a tester take gadgeteer. He has to go to the inventor and ask, so it takes longer

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#6 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:37 am

Changed to major.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.

Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com

The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”