Bokkors in Deadlands

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

gamesmeister
Novice

Bokkors in Deadlands

#1 Postby gamesmeister » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Do any of the published Deadlands books cover bokkors and their use of dark voodoo magic?

I looked in River of Blood at the Voodoo book, but while that touches on Bokkors, it only really covers 'good' voodoo magic i.e. suitable for PCs.

I've also read through Black Circle, which doesn't specifically refer to bokkors but does cover Blood Magic used by the Whateleys. Would it be fair to say that bokkor magic is similar to blood magic?

Thanks

SteelDraco
Seasoned

#2 Postby SteelDraco » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Why not just use the rules for black magic and describe it as voodoo? That's what I do for pretty much all evil spellcasters. Mess with some of the mechanics a little bit to echo the "good" version of the arcane background, and you should be all set.

hallahetta
Novice

Re: Bokkors in Deadlands

#3 Postby hallahetta » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:25 am

gamesmeister wrote:I've also read through Black Circle, which doesn't specifically refer to bokkors but does cover Blood Magic used by the Whateleys. Would it be fair to say that bokkor magic is similar to blood magic?

Thanks

Havent read through black circle, except for the posse part, but just by looking at the TOC and index on last page, there should be information about bokkors from page 57-71 ish
Part of an ongoing deadlands classic adventure -- [Deadlands - Short story] The Sun sisters

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am

SteelDraco wrote:Why not just use the rules for black magic and describe it as voodoo? That's what I do for pretty much all evil spellcasters. Mess with some of the mechanics a little bit to echo the "good" version of the arcane background, and you should be all set.

That's a paraphrase of the official [classic] advice for running Baron Simon LaCroix, the biggest bokkor in the setting.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

gamesmeister
Novice

#5 Postby gamesmeister » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks all

I was planning to use Blood Magic as a fall back, but was hoping they might have covered some of the darker sides to voodoo separately (as they hinted at in River of Blood).

No worries though, there's plenty of material for me to work with

Cheers
Gerry

King Snarf
Seasoned

#6 Postby King Snarf » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 am

Yeah, basically, black magic is flexible enough that you can throw around various descriptors- witchcraft, voodoo, etc. Check out the trappings bit in each black magic spell's description.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”