HoE Classic: Witch - Are they any good

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Amdramnar
Novice

HoE Classic: Witch - Are they any good

#1 Postby Amdramnar » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:24 pm

One of my posse is considering a witch but keeps pointing out it is a 5-point arcane background because of the need of Arcane Background AND a 2-point belonging (How to Serve Your Man). Not to mention the limited spells compared to other powers.

Are we missing something or is the Witch pretty limited as an arcane background.

King Snarf
Seasoned

#2 Postby King Snarf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Well, remember, witches also don't have nearly as many complications as other ABs. Unlike Templars and Doomies, they aren't required to follow any kind of code, and, going by the rules as written, don't have any sort of backlash or mechanic for getting spanked when a spell fails. That offsets the cost a bit.

If you're looking for more witch info, check here and here.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Witches are limited. Within those limits, they're actually pretty good.
Just don't mistake them for a Doomie. They're much more like Junkers that can't make explosives - thought and preparation are required to be successful.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#4 Postby ScooterinAB » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

In reality, withes really weren't that hot. The cost alone (yes, it's a 3 point AB plus Belongin's) makes it undesirable. When you look at the scale and amount of powers, they're really not that impressive.

I've seen them used well as NPC's and side characters, but I've played with a few and they are really meh. You're far better off playing a huckster.

The only thing they really have going is a kind of cool background. I think PEG was intending to make more spell books for them, but they got cut later.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”