Powered Armor

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Willis
Seasoned

Powered Armor

#1 Postby Willis » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 pm

Hey guys. I have a player that is inspired by the robot hunter picture in the old wasted west book. He's gonna need powered armor to pull that off though. How would you guys recommend handling that?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Powered Armor

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 am

Willis wrote:Hey guys. I have a player that is inspired by the robot hunter picture in the old wasted west book. He's gonna need powered armor to pull that off though. How would you guys recommend handling that?

He'd likely have very similar issues with maintenance and fuel as someone with a vehicle, so I'd likely start there with an Edge based off Wheels.

Really not much difference between powered armor and a single person 4WD vehicle. Lower the speed, give it a Strength rating, apply its armor to the wearer, and it's pretty much done.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:16 am

Use the power armor suits in the core rules. The NA used various Scout suits, the SA utilized a lot of Scout and Battle suits, and there were a couple models of Heavy suit (Grapesmasher, etc.).
Allow weapon mounts using weapons from the HOER setting book.
Energy weapons can pull from the suit batteries, but each "charge" is a minute of power - and the suit only carries 24 hours (1440 minutes) of power.

Fast and Fun, but I'm lazy like that.

I'm curious to see what others suggest.

Redtwin
Seasoned

#4 Postby Redtwin » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 am

Hmm. I second using the core books power armour, but I've got my own spin on it.

The suits can be worn and used with minimal power consumption, but it's a very intensive and difficult process - you can walk reasonably well but anything beyond that is completely impossible. You cannot even defend yourself (Parry 2). Your suit stores enough power to run for X rounds of actual use, be they squashing a trog, hauling lumber, or dancing a jig. Flipping the suit on or off is a free action. Once out of power, you are trapped in a steel coffin unable to defend yourself (I just love 2 Parry) until you manage to scrabble out of it (Ag at -2) - and even then you're in jammies and unarmed because there isn't room in the suit for personal armour or small arms.

Suits can only be recharged using specialized equipment which is too bulky to be carted around easily. So when you go adventuring, there's a very real limit on how much your suit can do before you have to leave it in the car and go without.

The benefit of this is not having to track power consumption except when it matters, but still making power a precious resource not to be squandered.
"Anybody else feel like fishing for Rattlers?"
Said while dragging a size 12 giant worm down the highway behind my Hummer at full speed to kill it via road rash.

VonDan
Legendary

#5 Postby VonDan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 am

See clint every one wants a good set of finished rules for power armor and Mechs.

If you finished it we would all send you a dollar (each) and you could make enough to hire clowns for your kids next birthday

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:50 am

Redtwin wrote:Hmm. I second using the core books power armour, but I've got my own spin on it.

So, you want the rules to work just like the Classic mechanics (i.e. big expensive waste of time), and completely ignore the Classic fluff?

Redtwin
Seasoned

#7 Postby Redtwin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:39 am

I love the classic feel of power armour as very powerful items with harsh time restrictions, but tracking per minute use to march from point A to B was pedantic. This is a middle ground which caps the number tracked to 20-30 instead of 1440. Do you really want to track numbers that high?

Said while dragging a size 12 giant worm down the highway behind my Hummer at full speed to kill it via road rash.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#8 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:20 pm

Redtwin wrote:I love the classic feel of power armour as very powerful items with harsh time restrictions,

Really!? I'm glad someone did. I, for one, hated it. Not only were they a gigantic pain in the tuchus, but they were barely more powerful than standard adventuring gear. And were completely at odds with their military utility in the given backstory.
Do you really want to track numbers that high?

I don't mind it. It can be annoying sometimes, especially having a base 60 for the measuring system but a base of 10 for the numbers, but I've had characters wandering the waste with that many bullets before. ... Okay, a character ... until he got blown up and lost most of his stuff.
But I still tracked it.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Redtwin
Seasoned

#9 Postby Redtwin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 pm

they were barely more powerful than standard adventuring gear

I agree regarding the lighter suits, which were terribly disappointing given how much work was required to keep them running, but a set of Wolverine or Purgatory armour was so powerful that something was needed to balance it out. The problem was that the rules were just too clunky to make it worthwhile.

I do remember one robo-hunter who was very well balanced because he was haunted by gremlins as his Veteran of the Wasted quirk. We pretty much threw out the usual rules and used the gremlins instead. It was a lot easier and gave the Marshall a way to keep him in check.

Tracking large numbers is a peeve of mine. Unless there's a thematic reason to do so it's just a waste of time. My classic character creation question is "How much ammo do I need to buy so that we never discuss it again?" When appropriate, the Marshall would call that I was running out of what I brought with me, but my giant stockpile of ammo back home was unlimited.

MagusRogue
Seasoned

#10 Postby MagusRogue » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:31 am

Could do a middle ground, like tracking ammo for extras. Roll a die each scene/session/etc, if it comes up with a success, there's a jam or a small blurp in the system, and a raise means u run out of juice.
Adam Loyd
Freelancer and Proofreader (check me out in the Noir books!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this rant is over.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”