"Fair Use" of published material in fan conversion

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

shinryu
Seasoned

"Fair Use" of published material in fan conversion

#1 Postby shinryu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 pm

So, this is sort of a tricky point: In converting Shadowrun I've been trying to use a minimum of neccessary books to do so; SWD and SPC are pretty much required to use what I've done. But there are a couple of powers/edges from other books (say, the Summoning powers from Horror Companion) that work nicely. On one hand, I would like to use them as they're "official" material; on the other hand, I really don't want to make someone have to have Horror Companion just to use one or two powers.

So, is there a quasi official guide for reprinting these things in a fan conversion if it's a small excerpt? From a copyright perspective, I understand you can't copyright mechanics, so technically if I rename and rephrase the edge/power and it has the same game effect that's not a per se copyright violation, but does seem like a bit of a dick move.

Clint
Site Admin

#2 Postby Clint » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 pm

The Fan License (and Publication one for that matter) are posted on the website...

http://www.peginc.com/licensing/

Section 5 would be the one to check in this specific case.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

TommyBrownell
Veteran

#3 Postby TommyBrownell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Clint wrote:The Fan License (and Publication one for that matter) are posted on the website...

Question 2 would then be, I think, who does one contact? Shane? You? Joel?
Tommy Brownell

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:52 pm

TommyBrownell wrote:
Clint wrote:The Fan License (and Publication one for that matter) are posted on the website...

I'd suggest the licensing email address in the opening for the publishers' license...

PEGlicensing@gmail.com
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

TommyBrownell
Veteran

#5 Postby TommyBrownell » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 pm

Clint wrote:
TommyBrownell wrote:

I'd suggest the licensing email address in the opening for the publishers' license...

PEGlicensing@gmail.com

Gotcha. Seemed logical, but didn't know if the "fan supplement" vs "pay supplement" part would make a difference.

(I was curious in case it ever comes up for me. Doubtful, since I never finish projects that I start on my own, but you never know).
Tommy Brownell

shinryu
Seasoned

#6 Postby shinryu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Well, it sounds like it might be easier to just retool things if I decide to release this, then. I had come up with something for summoning that looked almost exactly like the Summon Spirit power, for example, and then went "hey this looks like Summon Spirit, maybe I should just use that."

I guess my concern then is not looking like I did knock off something in the books: again, the copyright only covers the description of the mechanics to my knowledge (not the mechanics) but even if this is sort of a case of parallel development I wouldn't want to make it look like i just filed the serial numbers off, you know?

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”