Status markers

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ogbendog
Legendary

Status markers

#1 Postby ogbendog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Just stumbled across this (facebook link, actually)

http://www.aleatools.com/default.asp

could be used to indicate shaken, prone, wounds, tricked, etc.

might be worth seeing if they'd do Savage Worlds edge marks.

Caveman
Novice

#2 Postby Caveman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 pm

I have a set of the original Alea magnetic markers that I bought years ago and have used them a lot in my games. The issue with the set that I have is that the type of magnet in the disc tend to cause them to jump around the table on their own every so often, but they are incredibly helpful with keeping track of a character's status and make it easy for everyone to see the current situation. If they would do a set of marked discs for SW I would probably have to pick it up...
- Dave R
"When I see a solar eclipse ... I think 'Oh no! Is the moon eating the sun?' I don't know. Because I'm a caveman -- that's the way I think."

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#3 Postby TheLoremaster » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 pm

The newer versions use a smaller, neodymium magnet, instead of the larger disc ones. This means that the markers are less likely to snap together when put next to one another.

However, it also means that they're less useful for when you want to use fender washers for basing. :(
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Other Mike
Seasoned

#4 Postby Other Mike » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 pm

The new version have smaller, stronger magnets in the center ... they work better than the old ones. For cons, I have thin metal disks stuck on the bottom of my miniatures (some use fender washers). I first saw Loremaster using them. :-)

I use the white for shaken, yellow for a wound, orange for two wounds and red for three wounds. I have other colors as well, though I don't use them for anything specific ... well, maybe shades of blue for fatigue.

For a lot less, I have seen people use small rings made from pipe cleaners, with colors.

Note also that Litko also has Savage Worlds status markers.
My delusions of grandeur are way bigger than yours!

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

#5 Postby Jordan Peacock » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm

I've gone to my local crafts store (JoAnn Fabrics, locally) and picked up a bunch of "rings" from the wedding crafts section. They're usually available in "gold," and sometimes in silver. I can just hang the ring on a figure's head or upraised arm/sword/etc., to represent Shaken status. I've been thinking of spray-painting a few different colors for other status markers (such as being on fire, for instance).

Bavix
Seasoned

#6 Postby Bavix » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 am

I've been using small colored hair bands for years. They come is many colors, are super cheap, and you can hang them around minis very easily.

Other Mike
Seasoned

#7 Postby Other Mike » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Yes, the colored hair bands or pipe cleaner rings are a very inexpensive options that works well.

A key thing (my opinion, anyway) is something that attaches to the miniature, be it a ring or a magnet. That way everything all stays together when the miniature is moved. When I first started GM'ing Savage Worlds I used small marker "stones" with each stone indicating wound level. That was a pain, as the markers took up space and were a pain when the mini moved. My short term solution was to give them to the player instead ... until I saw the Alea magnetic markers Loremaster was using. I picked up some myself. I saw the pipe cleaner rings later on, but already had the magnetic markers, so I continue to use them.
My delusions of grandeur are way bigger than yours!

Yuri
Veteran

#8 Postby Yuri » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:25 pm

I use disks that I made from Sculptie for my counters.... I have a few conditions monitors too... -2 Parry, +2 Parry, Fatigue and such

Y
I think we're property - Charles Fort

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”