Multiple powers, same device for Mad Scientists

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

shinryu
Seasoned

Multiple powers, same device for Mad Scientists

#1 Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:34 pm

I'm certain this has come up but I wasn't able to find it anywhere: if a Mad Scientist has a single device that performs multiple Powers, do the powers pool their effective Power Points or are they always drawing from multiple pools?

e.g. If Dr. Hudson, with 10 PP, builds a sonic-electronic ballbreaker with "stun" (Stun) and Kill (Burst) settings, would the device have an effective Power Point pool of 20 for either power to use, or would each power have its own 10 point pool?

I could see circumstances where this makes a lot of sense to me: assuming use of the powers is mutually exclusive and a breakdown for either power knocks out both, and since the character can't two-fist both powers at once or share the devices around, it seems fair from a balance prespective. Also, they're variable settings of the same device, so from a flavor perspective it makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, it's (sort of) a cheap way to double the shots available for a given power and while I'm not sure it's the most efficient use of your slot to strap two powers together I could see the potential for some situations where it might be a poor idea.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Multiple powers, same device for Mad Scientists

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

shinryu wrote:I'm certain this has come up but I wasn't able to find it anywhere: if a Mad Scientist has a single device that performs multiple Powers, do the powers pool their effective Power Points or are they always drawing from multiple pools?

Hasn't come up because there is no actual rule in the book that says it can be done. It could perhaps exist as a trapping, which means how it would work would depend entirely on the GM's call based on the specific setting and other factors. There are no "official answers" for individualized trappings other than that.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”