How do I make Ripper tech more Apealing?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#21 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:03 pm

catalac wrote:
samuraicrab wrote:I am thinking about dropping the whole 'Reason' system. This wiould make the game more pulp. What are the drawbacks of doing this?

besides your players becoming over powered and you getting head splitting headaches because they do something entirely stupid and/or immoral and you have nothing to reason with them about since you just threw logic and incharacterness out the window?

Because you can't send the law after them, nor have them ruined by their peers, superiors, or inferiors. Nope, can't do that. [/sarcasm]

Reason is there to add a mind-destroying sanity system. Such mechanics play up the cumulative psychological trauma of the events of the campaign.
Cutting that out means that you don't have to worry about your PCs transforming in personality due to PTSD, you've removed the mechanical reason to risk an opiate addiction, and you've removed the game mechanic that could send them down the path of Jack the Ripper. These changes may be a positive or negative effect, depending upon the style and tone you're aiming for. Regardless, best of luck.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

samuraicrab
Seasoned

#22 Postby samuraicrab » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Part of my goal is to recapture the feel of the FACEBOOK game. In that game you could mix and match rippertech to your hearts content. But I doubt that be good role play gaming.

tigerguy786
Veteran

#23 Postby tigerguy786 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:56 pm

samuraicrab wrote:Part of my goal is to recapture the feel of the FACEBOOK game. In that game you could mix and match rippertech to your hearts content. But I doubt that be good role play gaming.

If it helps, I'm running mine in more heavy on the action, almost a Pulp feel with horror trappings, and I still plan on using reason, if only to limit Rippertech.
"Well, you do know what those who underestimate tigers always say right?"
"What?"
"They scream, 'Oh god help me I'm being mauled to death by a tiger.'"

islan
Heroic

#24 Postby islan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:28 am

Back when I had the Rippers book, I can tell you that I could not fathom why anyone would ever want to bother with Rippertech. You risk Reason loss, wounds, possible (if highly unlikely) death, and even permanent side-effects like Charisma loss for, what exactly? A claw that can deal Str+d4 damage, when you've been using a longsword dealing Str+d8 this entire time?

Add on to this the in-game penalization at the end of the plot point, and the main draw of the setting, it's very namesake, was nothing but a complete disappointment for me.

samuraicrab
Seasoned

#25 Postby samuraicrab » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Why does reason penalty guts? You think monster parts would make you less prone to fear.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#26 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 pm

samuraicrab wrote:Why does reason penalty guts? You think monster parts would make you less prone to fear.

Crazy and Brave are not the same thing. Psychos are no more likely to be courageous than anyone else - in fact, fear is often a major component of being nuts.

The idea behind the Reason penalty (as I have come to understand it) is: A) your humanity is being torn out, leaving you with a weaker sense of self and reality, B) your soul is being damaged and transformed into a monster - the monster may be fearless, but you are still human enough to be afraid, C) your courage is tied up fighting the growing corruption, so you have less available to use against the horrors you battle.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

jpk
Legendary

#27 Postby jpk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:54 pm

You can expect some alterations to that set-up in the Rippers: Explorer's Edition when it makes it out. (And, no, I have absolutely no dates whatsoever to share or even suggest for that.)
Joel Kinstle
Pinnacle Entertainment, www.peginc.com

islan
Heroic

#28 Postby islan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:48 am

jpk wrote:You can expect some alterations to that set-up in the Rippers: Explorer's Edition when it makes it out. (And, no, I have absolutely no dates whatsoever to share or even suggest for that.)

You're gettin' quite skilled at that, ain't ya jpk? :wink:

mrcaptainpants
Novice

#29 Postby mrcaptainpants » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:56 pm

jpk wrote:You can expect some alterations to that set-up in the Rippers: Explorer's Edition when it makes it out. (And, no, I have absolutely no dates whatsoever to share or even suggest for that.)

<Ears perk>

Sigh. Tease! But I won't be too harsh with you. Even a teensy-tiny crumb of info on Rippers: Explorer Edition brightens my day a little, so thanks for that!

To say I am anxiously awaiting this is a bit of an understatement!

VonDan
Legendary

#30 Postby VonDan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:13 pm

In your game have a doctor on the Oprah show talking about how cool ripper tech is then every one will want it.

Or have one of Queen Victoria's grand kids get a ripper tech replacement due to a polo accident and then every one of the same sex and a few of the other will wan to copy them.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”