[HoER] Currency and roleplaying

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Yondalor
Seasoned

[HoER] Currency and roleplaying

#1 Postby Yondalor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 am

I was thinking about barter in the Wasted West the other day, and it occurred to me that roleplaying it might be a bit difficult. When you're buying a pistol from a merchant, what do you think he'd say? He can't really say "That'll be a 150 dollars" since money has no value anymore, and metagaming it like "You haggle for a moment and he acccepts your offer of salvage worth of 150 dollars" doesn't sound good either.

What would you suggest in a situation like this?
Repairer of Reputations

Erpegis
Novice

#2 Postby Erpegis » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:04 am

In my games players had to describe what items they used as "change". It varied from candy and plant seeds to spare parts and tools. So we used to say:

"I'll change this bag of beans, three music CDs and a working RAM stick for a gun".
"Beans and music are okay, but no one here has a working computer! Change the RAM for that fancy jewlery you wear and we have a deal"

Yondalor
Seasoned

#3 Postby Yondalor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:05 pm

That's a good one, but doesn't it slow down the game when you're trying to name all the stuff you're bartering away?
Repairer of Reputations

Enno
Veteran

#4 Postby Enno » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:11 pm

You just write down "trade goods: 50$". What they exactly are is of minor importance. In my groups describing said goods is just fluff.
High Sage of Hoenir & Scribe of Qedeshet

Clash957
Seasoned

#5 Postby Clash957 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:39 pm

I always used a bullet based economy for the Wasted West. Anyone that has anything worth trading is either going to have or want bullets/shotgun shells. They're relatively portable and resistant to harsh conditions. They also gave the players a good idea how valuable bullets were after the bombs fell. They knew they weren't going to just find crates of them, and since this was also their spending cash even the richest brainer wasn't about to go full-auto with a assault shotgun unless they were really in trouble. I also found it cut down on bookkeeping by combining the money and ammo.

And it gives new meaning to, "trading bullets."

I just went with the cost of bullets in the book as the currency. It was something like this:

$1 for small caliber
$2-3 for large caliber
$5 for shotgun shells
$10 for a pistol magazine full/Armor Piercing
$up to 50 for special ammo types/sizes
Playing: Nothing
Running: Looking to start a Savage Worlds game via Google+/Roll20.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Yondalor wrote:That's a good one, but doesn't it slow down the game when you're trying to name all the stuff you're bartering away?

That's the trade off you requested. The game will run more slowly when you do these kinds of immersion, but the increased enjoyment usually makes up for losses.

If you want fast, roll a few dice and declare how the session went; the whole process should take about ten minutes. If you want fun, you usually have to take the times to give real details. :cool:
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Yondalor
Seasoned

#7 Postby Yondalor » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Hmmm, thanks for the advice guys. I'll think about it. :)
Repairer of Reputations

Ray
Veteran

#8 Postby Ray » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Depends on the group. My own group is still a little upset that they now have to take calibers and bullets into consideration rather than keeping them abstract. (I'm the only gun nut in the group.). My old group didn't have that problem, and usually handled the haggling "Issue" by attributing a few items to a set price and using those frequently (Typically, this was food and bullets, with a roll of toilet paper being the "$100 Bill".).

Some players would love the "Give-And-Take" of a bartering session over stuff, others just will go, "Give me the money/caps/bullets/fish, whatever."

Tailor to your group so everyone has the most fun. :-)
"Grab a wackin' stick, boy! Time to learn these here undead some manners!" - Percy Spencer, to his Son, Kevin.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#9 Postby ScooterinAB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

The "just call it trade goods" thing never sat right with me. I like how it's done in Reloaded, where you can go into your cash to directly and retroactively "find" a piece of equipment. This deals with commerce both directly and indirectly, where the Marshal can ask for a specific item as trade, and the player can then "find" something from their cash pool in equivalent value and barter with that.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Yondalor
Seasoned

#10 Postby Yondalor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm

Yeah, I've been testing the system out in-game, and it seems to work out. I'll mention some stuff the PCs get in trade, like "He agrees to your deal, giving you a can of shaving foam, a pocket mirror and some matches." It doesn't matter exactly how much stuff the players are carrying. Some things can be really valuable in the Wasted West, even though they're small.

And if the players go "Hey, I got that mirror from that merchant", I can just make them roll to find in in their bags. :-D
Repairer of Reputations

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”