Anyone still playing?

Discuss rules, scenarios, and battle reports for the Great Rail Wars in Deadlands!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Walkin Dead
Novice

Anyone still playing?

#1 Postby Walkin Dead » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Hello. I recently pulled out my GRW stuff from the closet to give it another read. I know it is a dead game in terms of any mass appeal, but it still holds a warm place in my heart. I really like that the rules read quickly and the game doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. Plus, I really think the creative folks that put the Deadlands setting together provided a wealth of inspiration to draw from for the terrain builder and scenario makers out there.

I am working on preparing the scenery called for in the Fist Full O' Ghost Rock campaigns. I have some non-miniatures gaming friends that will love running through this.

I am rambling a bit just ask if anyone out there still plays this classic. Let's hear from you if you still play. I would especially like to hear from anyone that played the FFOGR campaign to know what worked well and what didn't.

Thanks!
Mike

John Goff
Seasoned

#2 Postby John Goff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:10 pm

There are probably more players than you suspect. At Origins, someone even bought some GRW goodies from the Studio 2 booth. However, finding them is usually the trick. :wink:

One thing I've found that works is to set up the game at a game store or con. The minis and terrain draw the attention of just about everyone there 'cause they're so different from what most folks are used to seeing. I use GRW as my default when I'm demoing Showdown and usually draw a fair deal of attention. Since the rulesets are so close, converting over is pretty easy as well.
John Goff

Doc Firefly
Seasoned

#3 Postby Doc Firefly » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 pm

As much as I love Savage Worlds and Showdown I will ALWAYS love and play GRW.
All men dream, but not equally
-T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Doc Holliday
Seasoned

#4 Postby Doc Holliday » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 pm

Sure! I will be playing some battles this Thursday. GRW was my entry into Deadlands and Savage Worlds. Have been playing it since it came out in the 90s (and still undefeated!!) :twisted: I have played all published material. It has been awhile since I played FFoGR but I believe it went smoothly.
Never play cards with a man called Doc

Kullervo
Novice

#5 Postby Kullervo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 pm

I just pulled out my Great Rail Wars stuff a few days ago. I had forgotten how many of the miniatures I bought back in '97 or so when I was really excited about the game. I'm eager to give it another spin.

carmachu
Novice

#6 Postby carmachu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 pm

How many products were there for GRWS, books or box sets, not minis.

John Goff
Seasoned

#7 Postby John Goff » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Off the top of my head, there were six--and I freely admit I may be missing one here 'cause I don't have a full catalog in front of me at the moment. :wink:

The Great Rail Wars boxed set
Fistful of Ghost Rock
Derailed
Cry Havoc
The Dogs of War

And finally, The Great Rail Wars (stand-alone rulebook). This contains the basic rules, some of the rules (I've never sat down and figured out what was and wasn't included, though) from some of the earlier products, troop lists, equipment, and spell lists and descriptions. This one came out after my tenure, so I'm not as familiar with it, unfortunately.
John Goff

Doc Firefly
Seasoned

#8 Postby Doc Firefly » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:14 pm

There are rumors that a friend and myself maybe running a GRW battle at a Con in Tuscon in the Spring. (That is if we can get all the duckies in a row.)
All men dream, but not equally

-T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

doctorduckbutter
Seasoned

#9 Postby doctorduckbutter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 am

I am currently running it all over my local area. Mostly using the old rules, but on occasion I use the Showdown rules. I like the old rules because they seem to fit together very well. The Showdown rules are great in the fact that I can easily add things to the game that were not stated in the GRW stuff. Things like a Bigger Rattler and the like!

Return to “The Great Rail Wars!”