"Blessed" questions

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#21 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 am

pmlizardmen wrote:what are your thoughts

It's an excellent trapping for Arcane Background: Black Magic. You know, the standard AB for evildoers.

Side note: AB (Blessed) is literally a gift from the good gods. If you're not Good then they will cut you off. There's a reason that manitous cannot use Blessed powers, even when they're in control of the harrowed blessed. Changing that makes your Deadlands a lot more corruptible than the (highly corruptible) base setting.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

pmlizardmen
Novice

#22 Postby pmlizardmen » Tue May 01, 2012 11:14 am

i dont know of "black magic" or "blood magic" i cant find it in my books? or i would make my guy that and make him think its a divine power helping him.

Wibbs
Veteran

#23 Postby Wibbs » Tue May 01, 2012 11:44 am

Black magic is written as an NPC power only, and has access to all the Huckster powers.

pmlizardmen
Novice

#24 Postby pmlizardmen » Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

i see. what about blood magic?

Lord Inar
Heroic

#25 Postby Lord Inar » Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 pm

pmlizardmen wrote:i see. what about blood magic?

Check the Whately Blood edge for Hucksters (I think that's right)

Wibbs
Veteran

#26 Postby Wibbs » Tue May 01, 2012 12:49 pm

Yep, that's right

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#27 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Wibbs wrote:Black magic is written as an NPC power only, and has access to all the Huckster powers.

Actually, it has access to all powers. They usually use Huckster powers, but nothing about it (Marshal's Guide, page 131) limits the spell list.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Wibbs
Veteran

#28 Postby Wibbs » Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Doh, yep you're right - apologies. :oops:

galactiphat
Novice

#29 Postby galactiphat » Thu May 03, 2012 9:10 am

VonDan wrote:Champion

Holy Warrior

My character is Remy Dunoir, a French-Creole voodoo doctor (AB: Miracles, Voodoo [good lua spirits]) from New Orleans who has these two edges. They are awesome, and they really help set Remy apart from the party's Roman-Catholic padre.

That being said, Voodoo practicioners are the exception to the Blessed sin rule. Instead, you have a to perform a lengthy ritual to the spirits every night (Remy has a thing for sacrificing chickens, usually in dramatic, loud bwok-ing fashion). Just some food for thought. :1eek1:

VonDan
Legendary

#30 Postby VonDan » Sat May 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Does the Non Ab Martial Artist Edge in SW DX supersede the Non AB Martial Art Edge in Deadland reloaded

the game is in 22 hours

Wibbs
Veteran

#31 Postby Wibbs » Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 pm

The Martial Artist Edge in SWDX is not allowed. See:

http://www.peginc.com/shop/deadlands-deluxe-ified-pdf/

for a breakdown of how Deadlands works with the Deluxe rules.

VonDan
Legendary

#32 Postby VonDan » Sat May 26, 2012 6:52 pm

that really weakens any sort of fist fighter other then the full Martial artist AB, what in dead lands i can take to increse hand to hand damage.

Of course the Marshall dose not have SW DX so if we just go by his book I can use it as stated
Last edited by VonDan on Sat May 26, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibbs
Veteran

#33 Postby Wibbs » Sat May 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Off the top of my head, you could take Brawler, or Trademark Weapon on your fists as Edges at character creation assuming you're starting at Novice. You could also make friends with people who can cast the Smite power :).
Last edited by Wibbs on Sat May 26, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wibbs
Veteran

#34 Postby Wibbs » Sat May 26, 2012 6:59 pm

There's also Grim Servant of Death if you're that way inclined...has its drawbacks though :)

Wibbs
Veteran

#35 Postby Wibbs » Sat May 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Or you could just take a Bowie Knife...

VonDan
Legendary

#36 Postby VonDan » Sat May 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Wibbs wrote:Or you could just take a Bowie Knife...

I don't see a blessed Irish Boxer using a Bowie knife all the time to lay on hands to evil doers

Wibbs
Veteran

#37 Postby Wibbs » Sat May 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Well if you're Blessed, then you have access to Smite from the start, and can cast it on your own fist.

VonDan
Legendary

#38 Postby VonDan » Sat May 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Wibbs wrote:Well if you're Blessed, then you have access to Smite from the start, and can cast it on your own fist.

Oh he will be using smite on his right fist a lot, and a shot gun loaded with 30 silver pennies. With his left he will slap the life back into the wounded

Scyclone
Novice

#39 Postby Scyclone » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Speaking of Smite, I have a question. Is it possible for a blessed to cast smite on two things at the same time?

My character is a 'demon hunter' blessed if you will. Loyal to the church, but serves more as a zealous sword of god.

As a result, I dual wield swords in combat. Would I be capable of casting smite on both of them at the same time, or must I spend two actions to place one on each. As a side accompaniment, I intend on carrying secondary weapons as well. Am I able to smite those, or again spend an action per item?

----

Regarding the Champion edge, I am in a minor debate with the Marshal (my roommate). The edge itself states supernatural evil as the trigger for the benefits to damage/toughness.

My roommate contests that this only applies towards polar opposite of my characters faith (For example, since my character is a christian, it would only apply to Demons/Fallen Angels/etc, but not against things like Werewolves, Rattlers or Undead).

What would be the more accurate representation of this edge in a Deadlands setting?

farik
Seasoned

#40 Postby farik » Tue May 29, 2012 12:18 pm

Scyclone wrote:Speaking of Smite, I have a question. Is it possible for a blessed to cast smite on two things at the same time?

My character is a 'demon hunter' blessed if you will. Loyal to the church, but serves more as a zealous sword of god.

As a result, I dual wield swords in combat. Would I be capable of casting smite on both of them at the same time, or must I spend two actions to place one on each. As a side accompaniment, I intend on carrying secondary weapons as well. Am I able to smite those, or again spend an action per item?

----

Regarding the Champion edge, I am in a minor debate with the Marshal (my roommate). The edge itself states supernatural evil as the trigger for the benefits to damage/toughness.

My roommate contests that this only applies towards polar opposite of my characters faith (For example, since my character is a christian, it would only apply to Demons/Fallen Angels/etc, but not against things like Werewolves, Rattlers or Undead).

What would be the more accurate representation of this edge in a Deadlands setting?

Whatever the Marshall decides after you share your viewpoint. If as a player you find this makes your character less fun hopefully he will allow you to either redesign or replace your character.

A good Role playing game depends on everyone having a good time including the person who is running the game.

Personally from what you're describing I think you may be interpreting the edge a little too broadly while your Marshal may be interpreting it a little too narrowly. The important thing is that the two of you have a clear expectation of what will happen.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”