Beasts & Barbarians campaign - sessions 8 & 9

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sean-Khan
Veteran

Beasts & Barbarians campaign - sessions 8 & 9

#1 Postby Sean-Khan » Sun May 20, 2012 8:02 am

Finally started my B&B campaign and I'm very happy how it went! You can read the story & see the pics at http://maker.e2ogame.net/beasts-barbari ... -loads-fun
Last edited by Sean-Khan on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

GruffaloCrumble
Seasoned

#2 Postby GruffaloCrumble » Sun May 20, 2012 9:13 am

Really cool AP! I'm running Beasts/Barbarians at the UK Games Expo and it's great to read stuff like this for inspiration! :D Looking forward to reading your continued adventures!

kaltorak
Veteran

#3 Postby kaltorak » Sun May 20, 2012 10:59 am

Great report :-D

Ryche
Veteran

#4 Postby Ryche » Sun May 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Like the idea of how they escaped. Good way to bring a party together with a bit of flair. It was a good read, looking forward to your next session.

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#5 Postby Sean-Khan » Mon May 21, 2012 2:21 am

Great to hear you liked it! I think I found a good setup for my campaign, it starts by series of more or less disconnect adventures and then takes the heroes to borderlands, where the game will take a more 'solid' form. When the noble's player joins the game, I'll run a short introduction for him in his realm, which will make him feel more like returning to home when the time comes.

I already had two other adventures planned to start the campaign, but always had a better idea :) I'll be able to use these other adventures later.

What is a bit funny (or strange) is that only one of the characters is normally wearing a medium half armor, and no-one has Loincloth/bikini heroine, and I was afraid that this edge would be over-used :P The noble might be using medium armor and the sixth player coming to the game has already told he'll be making a combatant -type. Hopefully a barbarian :)

mongo
Novice

#6 Postby mongo » Mon May 21, 2012 7:10 pm

Good stuff. Sounds you had a great time. I really like the pictures.

I've used the expanded Carousing Table from Legends of Steel as well. The results can be interesting!

mongo

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#7 Postby Sean-Khan » Tue May 22, 2012 1:42 am

mongo wrote:Good stuff. Sounds you had a great time. I really like the pictures.

I've used the expanded Carousing Table from Legends of Steel as well. The results can be interesting!

mongo

I advertised the table to my wife beforehand and she was disappointed that they just got jailed :D there's better results awaiting...

Your own campaign notes were great inspiration to me Mongo! I wish I was so comfortable with inspirational gm'ing :) but I believe I'll be able to run with very little prep time with the tool I've been developing, when I don't want to prepare beforehand or run B&B adventures.

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#8 Postby Sean-Khan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Next session is up! six of my 8 D&D campaign players are in and are enjoying the game, Savage Worlds rocks!

http://maker.e2ogame.net/beasts-barbari ... -session-2

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#9 Postby Sean-Khan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Session 3 is up! The game went quite differently from what I was prepared for. I got my new initiative cards and successfully tested new chase rules.

http://maker.e2ogame.net/beasts-barbari ... s-fortress

mongo
Novice

#10 Postby mongo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Another good read, Sean-Khan. Thanks for posting. I like that the PCs played the Out of the Fire Adventure Card and then negated it by attacking the original threat. That's funny.

Did you have trouble getting the PCs to surrender? Most gamers dont' like to lose control of their characters, even if there is a Benny in it for them. I had trouble with my group the few times that I tried to get them to surrender. I kept explaining to them that Conan was captured all the time, and that surrendering was an accepted part of the Sword and Sorcery genre. My players wouldn't listen.

I appreciate that you're trying to run more free form adventures. GMing is a craft and actual practice is the best teacher. Keep at it. Let your players know that you're trying to improvise more and be sure to lean on them if you get stuck.

mongo

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#11 Postby Sean-Khan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:10 am

Thanks Mongo! Seeing my players heading towards TPK because of plain stupidity caused me to bang my head to the table :/ Yes, I may have to advertise the concept of surrendering a bit... And yes, I'll probably start asking my players suggestions when they play adventure cards (or do other surprising things) that leave me wondering what to do.

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#12 Postby Sean-Khan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 am

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#13 Postby Sean-Khan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Another session story (or two) up, after a long pause.

Beasts and Barbarians: Death of a Tyrant, parts II & III

Sean-Khan
Veteran

#14 Postby Sean-Khan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 am

Two new sessions up!

http://maker.e2ogame.net/beasts-barbarians-s8-kyros
http://maker.e2ogame.net/beasts-barbarians-s9-kyros

The heroes try to run a tavern in Kyros, get involved in it's power struggle and Autarch's hate towards Savannah people.

kaltorak
Veteran

#15 Postby kaltorak » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:57 am

Great!

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”