Custom Bennies for Wonderland No More, Etc.

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Jordan Peacock
Legendary

Custom Bennies for Wonderland No More, Etc.

#1 Postby Jordan Peacock » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:17 am

(Custom Bennies for Wonderland No More setting.)

For my upcoming Necronomicon convention games, I wanted some custom Bennies ... but of course there aren't any for the Wonderland No More setting. However, I have a number of poker chips that are devoid of any embossed emblems in the middle (just a flat circle in the middle, 1" diameter, no logo), which makes them perfect for circular labels. On Amazon.com, I got some label sheets with 1" circles (63 per sheet).

The label maker site provided a Word document with a template in the form of a table. I selected the table and made the borders visible, then exported the template as a pdf, and loaded it into Adobe Photoshop as a guide layer. Next, I made circle outlines to fit each of the squares, so I could see roughly where the stickers would be. I took the "green leather" texture from the WNM cover and stretched it across the page, then inserted little "Wonderland No More" logos in each space for one page. For the second page, I inserted several segments of art from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There, and The Hunting of the Snark, plus a couple of odd Tenniel illustrations, and a few of the WNM character portraits.

I took several assorted poker chips that I'd already spray-painted gold (to serve as gold coins once upon a time for a LARP called "SwordTag"), gave them an extra coat for good measure, and then started applying the stickers.

For a Ghostbusters-themed scenario, I used some red poker chips (which once upon a time served as "copper pieces" for that aforementioned LARP) and put a "no-ghosts" logo in the center.

Voila! Bennies.

Link to labels on Amazon.com that I used (though it looks like they're on clearance)

Any poker chips need a large, flat area in the center, without embossed images, or else the stickers won't apply evenly. Also, there needs to be enough space in the middle that the stickers won't extend over the interlocking ridges that typically go around the edges of poker chips, or they won't stack right.

Of course, I'd like to make clear that this was a bit tedious, and the stickers aren't likely to hold up to much wear before it really shows and they start to look homely, since this is just printed ONTO a label, rather than glossy stickers like you'd get done professionally. The only point in doing it was so I could get Bennies that look just the way I want for the convention. For general Savage Worlds use, and for established settings, I still recommend getting the official Savage Worlds Bennies from Studio 2 Publishing.

warrenss2
Heroic

#2 Postby warrenss2 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:33 pm

:eek: :eek: Genius!! :eek: :eek:
:blam:

Chaosmeister
Seasoned

#3 Postby Chaosmeister » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:35 am

Great Work!
Read my Blog about all things Savage: http://www.chaotic-gm.com
Teamwork is essential, it gives 'em someone else to shoot at!

warrenss2
Heroic

#4 Postby warrenss2 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:13 am

I keep coming back and looking at this.

I wish there were some "generic" type bennies made. Like for western, pulp, horror, etc...

With this method I can make my own.

Now... to find the art work...
:blam:

RockabillyRebel
Seasoned

#5 Postby RockabillyRebel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:27 pm

I made a set of 25 for my Rock and Roll Horror Setting:

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#6 Postby Kristian Serrano » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:33 pm

RockabillyRebel wrote:I made a set of 25 for my Rock and Roll Horror Setting:

Whoa, mind starting a new thread about this setting? Been listening to The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion's Plastic Fang, and it's been putting me in the mood for something along these lines.

RockabillyRebel
Seasoned

#7 Postby RockabillyRebel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”