[SPC] Stacking and Devices and Super Sorcery altogether...!

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Altissimus
Novice
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 am

[SPC] Stacking and Devices and Super Sorcery altogether...!

#1 Postby Altissimus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 am

Ok, so basically I have 15 pp to spend, and I want to know if I can:

Question 1

Take

Super Sorcery 3 (9 points)
Super Sorcery 1, Device, Requires Activation, (1 point)

a) ...and then use these two together to provide a total of SS 4 that requires the Device to activate?

b) ...and use them separately, so have SS 3 through points or SS 1 through the Device?

Question 2

Then take:

Switching (4 points) (leading to Attack, Ranged)

...and then use this with the SS 3 to have 9 points of A,R, or use this with SS3 AND the device (SS1) to have 12 points of A,R that uses a device and requires activation?



(Which would then allow me 1 point left to have:

Super Skills, Shooting, Device, Requires Activation (1 point)

...with my last pp.)



So if this is allowed, would it allow me to:

Summary

a) Have SS 3 or SS 4, depending on whether I used the Device.

b) Switch up to A,R 9 pp or A,R 12 pp, depending on whether I used the Device.

c) Use the device (and have SS 1 or switch to A,R with 3 pps) or use the device (and have SS 4 or switch to A,R with 12 pps)?

(I recognise A,R has a cost of 3, so I'm talking PPs not ranks :))

Now my head hurts.

Hope that's all clear :)

Thanks,
A.

ETA: Purpose of this, by the way, is not to have all my eggs in one basket, end up losing the Device and find I can't do anything.

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19358
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: [SPC] Stacking and Devices and Super Sorcery altogether.

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 am

Altissimus wrote:Question 1

Take

Super Sorcery 3 (9 points)
Super Sorcery 1, Device, Requires Activation, (1 point)

a) ...and then use these two together to provide a total of SS 4 that requires the Device to activate?

b) ...and use them separately, so have SS 3 through points or SS 1 through the Device?


Well, first off, "Requires Activation" isn't an allowed Modifier for Super Sorcery, so it's not even an option (especially since Super Sorcery pretty much requires activation to use anyway).

If that is instead intended to mean "Slow Activation," the Device Modifier, that's feasible. It just means every 6-11 rounds, the level of Super Sorcery from the device would fail and have to be reactivated (which if combined with the other levels of Super Sorcery for a single power would cause them all to fail since the entire power can no longer be used).

Now, having different Modifiers on the same power effectively makes them separate powers, so it would be up to the GM whether the trappings allow for all 4 levels to be altered with a single Spellcasting roll or if each power would require its own roll.

Regardless, the points from each could stack in effect.

Altissimus wrote:Question 2

Then take:

Switching (4 points) (leading to Attack, Ranged)

...and then use this with the SS 3 to have 9 points of A,R, or use this with SS3 AND the device (SS1) to have 12 points of A,R that uses a device and requires activation?


Switchable works off one power, while adding different different powers under the Switchable Modifier could be allowed with GM approval, there's nothing about allowing the reverse (the Switchable Modifier applied to multiple combined powers).

Theoretically, the same effect is possible by taking Attack, Ranged as the base power with Super Sorcery under Switchable, but it does still fall under GM approval.

Altissimus wrote:Summary

a) Have SS 3 or SS 4, depending on whether I used the Device.

b) Switch up to A,R 9 pp or A,R 12 pp, depending on whether I used the Device.

c) Use the device (and have SS 1 or switch to A,R with 3 pps) or use the device (and have SS 4 or switch to A,R with 12 pps)?


Once again, the "official" answer falls to GM approval, but I don't see anything outright disallowable in it offhand.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com


Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests