Sleep, Notice, and Stealth - Just to clarify ...

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Locke
Novice

Sleep, Notice, and Stealth - Just to clarify ...

#1 Postby Locke » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I ran into this issue during my fantasy game last night, and unfortunately didn't handle it very well.

Here's the situation: The party is tasked with stealing a magic flute from a traveling minstrel whose music has been inciting random acts of passion (fighting, public displays of affection, you get the idea) wherever he goes. After picking the lock, the halfling thief and the talking fox (don't ask ;)) Stealth in.

Thinking that because they're within 6" of the sleeping minstrel, I roll Notice for him--not adding a penalty because I couldn't find a mention of it in the SWD--and beat the fox's stealth. Said minstrel awakes and screams for the guards before jumping out the window, magical flute in hand.

After the session was over--and some grumbling by the fox character's player--I noticed the "loud noises" clause under the Slumber power and realize that the minstrel shouldn't have been given a Notice roll.

What I'm wondering is whether my current conclusion (that I shouldn't have rolled Notice for the minstrel because a) he was sleeping and b) there was no "loud noise" to wake him up) is correct. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. :)
Josh Leavitt, Editor
PrepMyBook.com | Let's get you published

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Sleep, Notice, and Stealth - Just to clarify ...

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Locke wrote:What I'm wondering is whether my current conclusion (that I shouldn't have rolled Notice for the minstrel because a) he was sleeping and b) there was no "loud noise" to wake him up) is correct.

It would be correct. The Last Step (opposed roll within 6") applies if a character is active or inactive (not paying attention); it doesn't really apply when the character is unconscious.

Since a loud noise allows a Notice roll at no penalty, you might have given him a Notice roll at a penalty if the characters didn't get a raise on their Stealth roll (meaning they make some noise but not a loud one that might come from a failure on the roll), but even then, the call is up to the GM.

Perhaps the minstrel is just a very light sleeper... that's what happens when an evil flute whispers to you in your dreams. :twisted:
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”