[SWD] Clarification on the "2 hands" weapon proper

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sidney
Novice

[SWD] Clarification on the "2 hands" weapon proper

#1 Postby Sidney » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52 pm

I tried the search feature both on forums and on my PDFs, but I can't seem to find a definition for the "2 hands" weapon property (at least on the SWD manual).

It's a pretty much self explanatory property ("the weapon requires 2 hands to use" seems intuitive enough), but we're having a few perplexities due to spears having said property. Now, historically spears have been used along shields by multiple cultures and armies, so the question rises: are spears meant to be exclusively 2 handed weapons in SW, or perhaps weapons with the "2 hands" properties that are used with one hand are treated like weapons you don't qualify for in terms of Strength (ie they're still usable 1 handed, but retain none of their special properties)?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [SWD] Clarification on the "2 hands" weapon pr

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Sidney wrote:I tried the search feature both on forums and on my PDFs, but I can't seem to find a definition for the "2 hands" weapon property (at least on the SWD manual).

It's a pretty much self explanatory property ("the weapon requires 2 hands to use" seems intuitive enough), but we're having a few perplexities due to spears having said property. Now, historically spears have been used along shields by multiple cultures and armies, so the question rises: are spears meant to be exclusively 2 handed weapons in SW, or perhaps weapons with the "2 hands" properties that are used with one hand are treated like weapons you don't qualify for in terms of Strength (ie they're still usable 1 handed, but retain none of their special properties)?

The spear in the core book is a long spear, requiring two hands to use. But any weapon that requires two hands could potentially be used with one hand at a -4 penalty (as described under the One Arm Hindrance).

If someone wanted a one-handed spear, it would likely have the exact same stats as the throwing axe, only doing piercing instead of slashing damage.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”