Fighting Skill Specialization and Parry

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
PeteAtoms
Novice
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:34 am

Fighting Skill Specialization and Parry

#1 Postby PeteAtoms » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:08 am

EDIT: Apologies if this post seems to ramble a bit, I'm fairly sleepy at the moment and kind of burnt out :p Also completely new to Savage Worlds, but quite impressed.

Regarding the section on the optional skill specialization system outlined on page 95:

"a character uses his normal skill for one device of choice. When using any other variation he suffers a -2 penalty."

Using this system, let's say a character has the Fighting (Axe) skill at d8. If I'm reading this right, any attacks made with an axe uses the d8 value and and an attack with a sword would use d8-2.

When calculating the character's Parry, he would have 6 when using an axe (2 + d8/2).

Would the character's Parry stat be lower if the character is not wielding an axe? It isn't mentioned in the skill specialization section of the rules.

In the Parry description on page 17:

"For stats such as d12+1, add half the fixed modifier, rounded down."

So half of d8-2 is 4-1? Giving us a Parry of 5?

Similarly, if a character is untrained in fighting (d4-2), should the character's Parry be 3? Half of d4-2 is 2-1 if we go by the same idea above.

For the sake of simplifying it, could a houserule replace the specialization system's penalty of -2, with a simple die reduction? The d8 axe specialist above would be d6 with non-axe weapons instead of d8-2?

EDIT 2:

Another question popped into my head. How would one handle edges that require a certain fighting skill?

And if a character has Fighting (Axe) d8 and Fighting (Sword) d6, what would that character roll for an attack with a spear? d8-2 or d6-2?

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 19601
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: Fighting Skill Specialization and Parry

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:32 am

PeteAtoms wrote:Regarding the section on the optional skill specialization system outlined on page 95:

"a character uses his normal skill for one device of choice. When using any other variation he suffers a -2 penalty."

Using this system, let's say a character has the Fighting (Axe) skill at d8. If I'm reading this right, any attacks made with an axe uses the d8 value and and an attack with a sword would use d8-2.

When calculating the character's Parry, he would have 6 when using an axe (2 + d8/2).

Would the character's Parry stat be lower if the character is not wielding an axe? It isn't mentioned in the skill specialization section of the rules.

In the Parry description on page 17:

"For stats such as d12+1, add half the fixed modifier, rounded down."

So half of d8-2 is 4-1? Giving us a Parry of 5?


The -2 is simply a modifier like any other. Only if something specifically states that the character's Trait "becomes a d12+1" does the stat itself change.

Otherwise, basic modifiers have no effect on derived stats, so the character would have a Parry of 6 regardless of the weapon used.

PeteAtoms wrote:Similarly, if a character is untrained in fighting (d4-2), should the character's Parry be 3? Half of d4-2 is 2-1 if we go by the same idea above.


The character has no Fighting skill, so it would be 2+0/2 or as noted under Parry on pg. 17, "2 if a character does not have Fighting."

PeteAtoms wrote:Another question popped into my head. How would one handle edges that require a certain fighting skill?


As per the listed rules, the character's Fighting skill does not change, so it has no impact on taking Edges. The only difference is the penalty when using the skill with a non-specialized weapon.

PeteAtoms wrote:And if a character has Fighting (Axe) d8 and Fighting (Sword) d6, what would that character roll for an attack with a spear? d8-2 or d6-2?


Not sure if this is referencing the alternate rules mentioned or not, but by the rules in the book, a character would never have two different die types for Fighting. They would just gain additional specializations in the skill using the listed rules.

So a character who has Fighting (Axes) at d8 uses an advance to gain additional specializations in Long Blades and Short Blades. He now has Fighting (Axes, Long Blades, & Short Blades) d8, and if he used a spear, he would roll d8-2.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com


Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest